1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play.com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by randallnhopkirk, Aug 2, 2005.

1. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are play.com any good for buying DVDs from? I've only used them a few times but I've just had a bad experience which I would never expect to have with Amazon.

A DVD arrived from play.com and was clearly very secondhand. There was no cellophane wrapping, the case was scuffed and the playing surface had numerous scratches. I couldn't believe it and phoned play.com to find the guy was far from surprised and frankly didn't sound like he gave a damn. It now seems I have to pack the second hand goods up and take them to a post office to send them recorded delivery for an account credit (not refund). Absolutely fuming! :mad:

I'll certainly never use them again and I'm considering whether I can just get my creditcard company to do a chargeback so that I don't end up out of pocket. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems or if I've been unlucky. It seems inconceivable that a supplier would send used goods and try to pass them off as new, it seems like a very cynical trick.

2. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    youve been very unlucky mate iv had over 300dvds from them no probs

3. radar40

radar40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment. Like the other guy, have had a number of orders to them and no problems. Most of the time they will refund, but I can agree with you regarding the phone call side of it (plus it takes them that long to e-mail you back with an answer).

If you want, you can always try sendit.com or cdwow.com

Hope this helps with your future buying. :thumbsup:

4. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    i was a massive fan of play but they made an error in an order to me and when i rang up they just blamed me and were not interested. Despite me spending 100s of £££ with them. Eventually got items switched.

Decided to give them another go - ordered shield season 1 = they sent season 2. DOH. :thumbsdow

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,905
    The majority of the DVDs I own are probaley from Play.com and they are great with pre-orders usually getting the DVD to me before release day.

I had a similar problem to you with Choices Direct, the DVD wasent sealed, the case was cracked and the disc had scraths, emailed them and they replaced it so Play are not the only ones who sent out secondhand DVDs by mistake so I would give them another chance.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Ive used Play.com from day dot. I have over 300 orders with them and all have been brand new goods. I have never had any second hand goods :nono:

Only once has a dvd gone astray and this was replacd with no hassle or doubt. :thumbsup:

The only bad point against play.com is their delivery time has increased by a day or two since they very first started many moons ago. I guess they are using cheaper postage ie 2nd class but this point is minor.

Play.com are sound :thumbsup:

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i always use play.com for region 2 and they are excellent and movie tyme for region 1....also excellent (playusa.com always send you the R1 dvds with french text on the covers too)

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    me and my family have spend a few thousand pound at play.com. only once in well over 500 dvd's have we had a package go missing. we told play and they sent a new one out straight away no Q's asked. top stuff from imo the best DVD E-tailer on the web :thumbsup:

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Moved to here. Please post in the correct forum in future.

Thanks,
    Reiner

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’m sorry about the bad experiences. From my personal view, I’ve ordered countless dvd’s from them in the past and they have been faultless. I think they are a better outfit now than when they first setup and that just goes to show how they really make customer service and fast delivery their primary focus. Whenever I’ve had problems in the past they have been painlessly solved.

Give them another try, doesn’t deserve another a chance! ;)

11. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm pleased to see from some of the other contributions to this thread that my problem may have been a one off. It's also possible that the play.com have gone downhill recently.

I've thought about it and have decided to stick with my decision to buy elsewhere. There are plenty of people selling at play.com prices these days, heck even Tesco have a Jersey DVD outlet. I can't see a reason to stick with a supplier who has given me a problem and left me out of pocket. The lasting impression I have of them is the customer services guy who wasn't at all surprised that I had a secondhand DVD. That's just scary.

Thanks all. Amazon here I come.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I had 2 problems where the goods I received looked in a below second-hand condition and both times I just wrote them a letter with the item and they replace it with a pristine copy. Didn’t have any problems with the customer services guy.

Can’t blame you for moving elsewhere though. I often base decisions on a ‘first sight’ basis.

13. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Have ordered many DVD's from Play and have no reason at all for complaint.

Cheers,

Martin.

14. john249

john249

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had a large company that sold products and I had customers that makes regular purchases then I would never blame a customer for their wrong doing even if it may have been their vault. My main concern will be to fix the problem ASAP and try to keep the customer satisfied so that they will continue buying from me.

That's one worst thing that a company can do is to blame a customer and then loose it.

As the saying goes "the customer is always right".