1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play.com/Playusa.com and bilingual covers and other suppliers?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by one_jedi, Jun 27, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    As I understand it a lot of R1 suppliers like Play get there DVD's from canada and thus some have bilingual covers, so far I havn't got any of these but I hear it is becoming more common. I'm going to be ordering a lot more R1 dvd's soon and I DON'T want Bilingual covers. I know that the content is what matters but it's just a personal preference. Is there anyway of knowing which of the DVD's Play suppy will have Bilingual covers?? with the introduction of Play USA will there be no more Bilingual covers?

Also can someone recomend me another R1 supplier who doesn't supply Bilingual covers? I know CD wow are generally great but don't have the selction I need. I want quite good prices and fairly quick delelivery, I ussually only order 1 or 2 dvd's at a time so I don't want to be waiting ages. Thanks for the help.

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Amazon.com to be certain

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Movietyme.com stock both American and Canadian versions of the same film, and let you specify which version you want. The American disks are usually a little bit more expensive though.

I've began to use them only quite recently, but so far they've been pretty prompt with their deliveries.

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How do you specify which version you want with MovieTyme? I looked at the website for some items, and could only see US versions listed. Do you choose during the checkout process, and are the Canadian versions any cheaper?

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick correction to my earlier post.

I've just had a look at Movietyme.com, and they seem to have changed a bit since I last used them ( I've scaled back on my dvd buying in the last few months).

They now seem to almost exclusively stock US versions of region 1 titles, and no longer give the option to order Canadian versions.
    I suppose that most of their customer base were buyers who didn't want the bilingual covers.

When I ordered Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction a few months ago, the US and Canadian versions were listed next to each over, but now only US versions appear.

When Canadian versions were listed, they were usually about £2.00 cheaper than the US disk.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK. Shame that, isn't it. They may have been a viable alternative to importing from US / Canadian sites, but they always seem a couple of quid dearer than the US sites, even including shipping.