1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play.com Packaging

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by StevieStatic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. StevieStatic

StevieStatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is anyone else fed up with Play packaging box sets in jiffy bags.

I had my Evil Dead Trilogy box set delivered this morning with 2 corners crushed :mad:
    I ordered the Ultimate Gangster Box Set from them after christmas and that had a hole in the jiffy and a the box was wrecked,
    and too many others to remember with crushed corners and dents.

It's got to the stage where i won't be able to order box sets or digipaks there, even if they are the cheapest price.

I know they're not the only company guilty of this, when are they going to realise that ;
    :lesson: better packaging = no damage = lower returns = everyone happy :lesson:

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i just hope dvdsoon package boxsets in boxes.. i've got the twilight zone and the outer limits on order with them and i shudder to think what condition they'll be in if they get sent in a jiffy, but then again, they only cost around £10 each so who am i to complain?

Packing in boxes tends to knock the postage price up though, and judging from the boxset prices online, they're already making minimal profit, so if they had to pay an extra £1 per boxset by putting it in a box, they might end up losing money. I hear what you're saying about less returns, but personally i've never had to return any boxset that's been sent to me in a jiffy bag, but i guess i've just been lucky.

3. StevieStatic

StevieStatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With DvdSoon there is the option to package in boxes for an extra $1 CAD,
    I've never paid the extra and i've had single dvds packaged in boxes and my Sledgehammer season 1 in a jiffy :eek:

It's just pot luck.

You've definately been lucky if you've never had to return a box set that's come in a jiffy bag, or perhaps its just me being unlucky :suicide:

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    heh yeah ive seen the option to package things in boxes, but i'm that cheap that i won't shell out an extra 40p :D even though I could re-use it, and it costs more than that to buy a new box from the post office..

5. StevieStatic

StevieStatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm too cheap to pay the 40p myself :)

I've literally just had a knock at the door, my Fellowship of the Ring Collectors Gift Set has just come from DvdSoon and no customs charges :clap:

I'm glad they didn't put this one in a jiffy bag !

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    I actually emailed Play.com a month before the Star Wars Trilogy was released to ask if they would be packaging it in a cardboard box as I had fears it would get ruined if sent in a padded bag and they said they have no plans on using cardboard boxes and use padded bags for everything so unless you order something big like the LOTR EE Gift Sets it will always be posted in a padded bag which I personally think is mad, they will loose more money with people returning damaged items for refunds than the cost of a cardboard box.

Luckily though I have only ever had 3 items out of hundreds that I thought were return worthy, one was the Red Dwarf Series 5 Gift Set which was dented, ripped and crushed, the other was Quantum Leap Season 1 which had giant creases down the sides which looked horrible and the last one was the Star Wars Trilogy which had dented corners but I ended up selling that to my mate for £28 and bought the same set in mint condition from MVC with the exclusive packaging.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Agree.

In my experience Amazon tend to use boxes for crushable items. I rent from Amazon hence get 10% off DVDs, for items over £19 it usually ends up cheaper than play. eg Ultimate Matrix would be approx 25quid delivered from amazon, £39.99 from play..PJ

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I’ve had ‘bruised’ goods from play.com a number of times. On a few occasions I’ve let it pass but on other occasions I’ve returned it demanding a replacement. They’ve normally been fine with this and ironically the replacements I’ve received have been in pristine consition! :smashin:

9. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    While jiffy bags dont help i think its more the mail system itself. Coming from the Channel Islands(?) has more chance of mishap than Amazon's more local depot, but its really the knuckle-dragging monkeys at Royal Mail i blame.

Got Farscape mini-series from Play.com - light bruising. Got to the front door just after the mailman managed to ram it through the slot in the door - he ran down the path and out of LOS as i pulled the front door open. This is the same boxset they couldnt deliver the day before, with a note left "could not fit through mail slot"...

Got Band of Brothers from Amazon.com, in one of their sturdier boxes, yet one whole corner was crushed right through to the DVD packaging, and it had a boot-print on the back, plus what looked like a tiger raking its claws accross it?! Did the ****ing thing go from the depot to my house via the Himalayas?!

Basically as long as the disks work i dont have any more expectations.

10. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    knuckle-dragging monkeys :rotfl:

11. jtfab75

jtfab75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i agree,play.com used to be great when i first started using them 4-5 years ago,but now the packaging is awful.
    since their is more competition play.com have to watch the pennies so hence the jiffy bags !

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Why can't they use the packaging cd-wow use, I'm sure that's not too much more expensive?

13. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    CDWOW's packaging is very good, but Play's jiffy bags are far better than 101's awfull cardboard wrap arounds. Almost every CD I now get form them is either cracked or totally smashed. I know it can only be the PO who do it as if I'm in I'll take the post off the postman and they are already broke. It is having an effect, as I now order less and less from them.

14. Lofty2005

Lofty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no Problem with Play YET but it could be better i Agree

15. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've stopped getting box sets from Play.com because they always arrived damaged in Jiffy bags, and I always had to return them!

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I used to use play.com regularly, but the competition seem to have caught up and you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere. Having said that I've never had an issue with their service though I do know what you mean about packaging...PJ

17. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the 10 dvd tintin box set from Play a few weeks ago.
    It arrived in a large flimsy jiffy bag and was totally wrecked.

I sent it back demanding a return in proper packaging. This they did unfortunately it was sent second class which meant I could not take it to a friend I was visiting as a gift. I was annoyed as I had sent it back first class and asked for a speedy return.

CD wow have the best packaging followed by DVDsoon, choices direct and Amazon.