1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play.com do they get lost in the post, or not shipped?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by StooMonster, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I had three DVDs "lost" from Play.com last month -- they say they are lost in the post, Royal Mail says they weren't. Either way "lost" disc replaced, only thing lost is time and energy not money. But...

My mate calls Play.com today on speakerphone, and gives account details.

Play's Customer Service (PCS) says "I bet you're ringing to complain that you haven't received OUATIA!".
    Mate says "How do you know which disc I haven't received? Is it because you've had lots of complaints because you haven't actually posted it yet?"
    PCS says "Oh... er... no... Of course we've sent it, it was on the posted date on the webpage. It must've got lost in the post!"
    Mate says "Pull the other one, I recon you are having supply problems and haven't sent it out yet."
    PCS says "err... err..."
    Mate says "So, you haven't sent it, have you?"
    PCS says "We'll send you out today."

Anyone else had similar conversations?

StooMonster

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OMG you're joking :eek:

Never had trouble with lost post, only prob I've had was a damaged We Were Soldiers, and a Damaged Die Hard R1 Box set (which also had Customs fees).

In both cases there sales support was very helpful and in both cases I sent back the DVD and was issued a replacement (they also refunded the cost to post it back and the customs charges!)

Now CD Wow is another story, had to ask for Monty Python Life Of Brian Criterion to be re-sent FOUR times due to supposed lost parcels! Quite why my postman would want three copies of LOB is anyones guess :rolleyes:

3. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must say I have never really had any problems with Play and there customer servie is usual excellent, althougth the times I have been on the phone some of them do seem more helpful than others!

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I had a couple of dvds that failed to arrive before Christmas. When I rang play they assured me they had been sent, but would send out replacements ASAP. The missing dvds appeared to coincide with a postman not pushing things fully through the letterbox. I reported my suspicions to the mails complaints dept and guess what, mail on the doormat and no more missing discs.

Regards, Mylo

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    i guess i have just been lucky (for a change) as i've never had a problem with play so i couldn't even comment on phoning them as i haven't had to (yet).:laugh:

Adrenochrome.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've never had a problem with Play either, but as someone hinted above, sometimes their telephone help is a little offhand.

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a very similar thing a couple of months ago (round about the time Die Another Day was first shipping) except the guy actually admitted that some stuff wasn't actually shipped and was sitting in the warehouse, despite the system saying it had been posted two weeks before.

It was a computer problem he said and he would re-order them. I got them about 3 days later.

Normally good service and they do have problems with stuff going missing in the post quite a bit by all accounts, but this time they just didn't send them !!!

8. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One problem I had was 3 orders went missing. So sent them an email and received 2 days later.

Another one I had was my Rambo Trilogy box (R1)... disc 2 kept jumping scenes throughout the movie, so again sent them an email, and received replacements 2 days later. Only thing was, the same thing happend, except it was on disc 3!!

9. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no problems with Play, but had a couple of discs going missing in January this year (which were replaced without question). I recently bought Amelie as it was on offer and it was delivered with the jiffy bag OPEN. I suspect that someone in the Royal Mail already had the title or just didn't fancy it and kindly continued with their contracted service to post me items sent to me in the post.......

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never had any problems with play until recently, I've had a couple go missing in the post and a couple damaged. that said their customer service is great and discs are replaced and reshipped immediately.

But since PlayUSA has gone up I have had two items that weren't in stock and so not shipped until a week after release date... which is incredibly poor!!

11. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    No problems with Play until last month. Three discs ordered, two arrive just within the two week delivery time, slow by their normal standards. The third didn't arrive, Play sent a replacement within a couple of days, then, 5 weeks after being posted, the original landed.
    Moved across to give CD-Wow a go seem pretty quick but i've had two discs now arrive off of their securing pin...and pretty scratched up.

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ordered four disks from Play a couple of weeks ago, but I put them on four separate orders. Three of them came a couple of days apart, but no sign of the fourth. I gave it a while and then checked the order history, only to be told that the fourth disk (Spaced Series 2) had been posted over a week ago. I phoned up Play - he asked my my postcode, confirmed my name, I told him the disk had not arrived, and he said that a new one would be sent out straight away. I was only on the phone for 1 minute, and the disk arrived two days later. Pretty good service so I'll keep using them as my main supplier.

13. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a DVD lost in the post from Play last month.

However the shipped date changed on their website 3 times, so my guess is they never got around to posting it in the first place.

I phoned them up and got a replacement sent through, which took about 3 days!!!!

14. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit the service I have had from them whenever I have had a disk go missing is fantastic, no quibbles or questions just "We'll send a new one straight away" and it arrives a couple of days later.

Used them for about 3 years and only had 3 or 4 go missing (all in the last 9 months though) and have no problems with their service in general.

I was just surprised when they admitted that some items were still in the warehouse weeks after the system said they were shipped, especially as you get billed when they are shipped. Payment had been taken but the disk had never been sent.

Still one of the better suppliers though. Some great bargains in their sales if you look.

15. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must have spent a fortune with Play over the past couple of years and I have only had two problems. Enter the Matrix arrived and looked liked someone had stamped on it (maybe they had played the game!!!) and Old School went missing. Both times I reported using the e-mail support and both times my problem was sorted out immediately.

16. B Caine

B Caine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have nothing but praise for Play, I had a disc that had a cover that was broken, I ofered to pay for a new one and Play sent me a new disc complete, free of charge, I have never been treated this good from a company in my entire life, Play are the tops as far as i`m concered, they are very good.

17. Domdom

Domdom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree with all satisfied people here and I order from France! one time I had an issue with my credit card: I called them and it was fixed in no time so ...

As far as R1 DVD are concerned, well, if it is available (already in their warehouse), I use PLAY (no customs within Europe I believe) and if not in stock and thus has to be shipped from US then I dont use play but .... dvdboxoffice in canada ... : no customs, it seems to be shipped to the Netherlands and then to the rest of Europe!!!

Voila!

18. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,135
    Ordered About Schmidt R1 on Monday 21st July arrived Today 23rd before 8am, fantastic service as always (ordered around 20 discs over the last 12mths)

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    :eek: I order some disc last Friday and they came today ah well I suppose it was the weekend. I have not ordered too much from them but everything has arrived OK.:smashin:

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Bought 400+ discs from Play and never had a problem.

21. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I tend to shop around rather than rely on one retailer.

Given that Play's customer service is excellent -- and they dispatch another disc if original order doesn't arrive.

Is anyone else being faced with the moral dilemma of double deliver from Play?

e.g. Order doesn't turn up three weeks after postage date, they send another which arrives three or four days later and then another copy arrives a few days later.

I've even waited five weeks after "post date" and then called them, only to have two copies arrive within a couple of days of each other.

Nothing wrong with their customer service, but I think they may have some problems in their fulfilment process.

StooMonster

22. Mike Heel

Mike Heel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never ever ever had a problem with Play as i tend to use CD-Wow instead

23. j_mann

j_mann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I order quite alot of stuff from play.com. While I haven’t had any problems so far, I have noticed when I order something from them on Saturday I’ll often get a dispatched email from them on the Sunday.
    The stuff I order is despatched from Jersey, and I’m in Jersey and I know the post office shuts down on Saturday and Sunday, so how they manage to despatch things over the weekend I don’t know.
    I once met a guy who worked there, he said he’d never order from play.com, for the simple reason that he’s seen how stuff is treated down there.
    Comment by Bluetone — November 8, 2007 @ 11:09 pm

I agree - I’ve used Play,com for years and everything has been A1. Now a parcel has been signed for by someone else and it’s impossible to get the matter sorted. The helpline is impossible - can’t speak to anyone. I need the goods by christmas and am infrormed I need to wait until 23/12/07 before I can sort this out. I’m going to my credit card company. This sort of thing is so easily sortable - have they lost their way?
    Comment by janierthttp://play.com/ — December 9, 2007 @ 12:11 am

I too have been having issues with play.com and also I have found their customer service centre to be absolutely useless.
    I cannot agree with you more on the dismissive nature of some of their staff and how they speak to you and blame everything on you or anyone as long as it’’s not themselves.
    the thing I have noticed is that all the dismissive, coarse and downright ignorant operatives have been Irish, this is not a blight on Irish people, just a strange coincidence I have observed.
    My ongoing most recent issue has now been rolling on for three months. I ordered a double cd from them and they sent me the single cd edition, I returned it and requested a replacement, they sent another single cd edition…. I returned it.
    They sent me a replacement…….another single cd edition….
    I called them and explained all of this, pointing out that their site was only advertising the double cd and yet I kept getting this single cd. They said they would have to put in a stock query and would order me another up.
    A few days later I got an email from them stating they had the wrong stock and would order in new stock and send my double cd, fair enough……… a week or so I got the cd in the post……..the single cd edition!!!
    So I calls them up and gets this character Dave the Irish person who has to be the worst customer service rep of all time, seriously, if you want to work in customer service you have to have at least some social interaction skills, this guy had none and basically it was all my fault, not only that but it was apparently my fault,
    I asked if it was at all possible that when replacing my cd someone could physically check and make sure they were sending out the double cd (along with checking their stock) so as not to get another mistake winging it’s way to me….. he said this wasn’t possible, how the **** not?
    it’s a case of the tail wagging the dog, play.com appear to have no idea what they have in stock and what is getting sent out, soon as they have your money they couldn’t give a ****..
    Anyway this Dave character, after much insolence and uselessness, says they won’t be sending out a replacement for ……21 days…. I point out it’s been over sixty days since this order began and the latest **** up has been returned to them, he isn’t for shifting, so I tell him I want to speak to a manager and he tuts and toddles off, putting me on hold, few minutes later he is back…. no manager but will organise a replacement.
    Fair enough, I hang up and four days later my cd arrives………the single cd edition.
    I again return it only this time I just ask for a refund and order it from amazon.
    they are quite unprofessional and hopeless are play and where they used to be my first port of call for orders they are almost a last resort.
    a Shambles of a company.
    Comment by I Hate Play.com — April 12, 2008 @ 9:26 am

I’ll bet one of the totally obnoxious, idiotic Irish customer UNsupport operatives you spoke to was BEN. Play.com’s customer support is well known as one of the worst ever. And you’re all completely right about what a wholly unprofessional, dishonest and incompetent outfit they are with a bunch of Irish monkeys running their books. When it comes to small orders under the value of £6 like DVDs, CDs, etc. they can get the items to you on time, but anything more than that and they just can’t cope, and if and when something goes wrong (which is normal, things happen - just as long as it gets sorted out) they’ll take your money, spit on you and blame it on somebody else. They seem to pull their employees out of some hole in Ireland, select only the stupidest people on earth with no clue about how to talk to people, put them behind a telephone and say ‘If anybody calls, just blame it on them’. I really don’t know why anybody uses them at all, everything is much cheaper on Amazon, and it’s delivered quicker, and they actually know what they’re doing.
    Comment by Play are useless — July 23, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

Yeah, I spoke to Ben - he was some kind of a retard, no human interaction skill whatsoever. Okay, if they want to find the least skilled people so they can pay them the lowest wage - I think Play.com is starting to go under at this rate - but you could find more competent people just out of prison if it’s getting away with the lowest wage bill you want. Ben was a joke of a loser; he probably lives beside that phone.
    "I once met a guy who worked there, he said he’d never order from play.com, for the simple reason that he’s seen how stuff is treated down there."
    Comment by Wei — August 18, 2008 @ 2:55 pm

Ordered a DVD got a totally different one.
    Ordered a Microsoft Keyboard got a Laptop Backpack
    Total Incompentance. I work in a dispatch environment short staffed and very busy and we make no mistakes.
    I can only presume the person that put my dispatch note that said keyboard in the bag along with the backpack cant speak ****ing english
    Comment by Dave — August 28, 2008 @ 6:30 pm

I had the same kind of problems with play.com … first time I got a delivery date I had to wait until 15/08/2008 to report non-delivery. However, one day before that (14/08/2008) the posted date changed to that very day! so another 21 days to wait… I’m guessing another non-delivery. I called up to complain but what a surprise no joy except for the fact that 14/08/2008 as a delivery date will be placed in my account notes and I’ll be able to claim a refund on 04/09/2008 if it doesn’t turn up. it really did not answer my question about why 2 posted dates. we’ll see if they stick true to their word and issue me a refund or just change the posted date again and give me the same old rubbish. I expected rubbish from them… I’ve taken screen shots of the order and order history this time…
    grrrrrrrrrrr ok end of my rant. play.com sucks.
    Comment by Paul[​IMG]http://www.tiglo.co.uk/ — August 28, 2008 @ 8:40 pm

Play.com (Gay.com) are a nightmare. Never buy from them, never trust them, and they’ll soon be gone. End of.
    Comment by luckycharms — September 1, 2008 @ 5:57 pm

24. ninehours

ninehours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
  25. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Back towards the begining of August I decided to treat myself to thecomplete series of THE WEST WING on DVD from Play.Com

Now I have used Play for years (my order history is 1511 pages long) and have only ever had one problem before (Kane & Lynch on 360 never arrived)

Anyway as of Monday 1st September by DVDs failed to arrive so under the 21 day thing I filed it with play as not arriving and asked for a replacement.

Now I have just had an email from Play with a claim form attached which they ask I print, sign and post back so they can get the Royal Mail to investigate. So at very least this will be another week I guess before anything happend and I am 140 out of pocket

Is this the norm for play ? I have had nearly all my games (40 or so) and many a cheaper box set sent recorded and I find it strange in this case it id not happen ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  26. morgoth

morgoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aha, I don't think luckycharms grasps the meaning of constructive criticism. Anyway, my dealings with Play have been great, everything has always arrived and it's always been what I ordered. The only time I had to call was when my Zen Vision M arrived DOA, a quick call later and a replacement was sorted.

27. chrisgal

chrisgal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Used them for years for various items, both expensive and cheap, and never had one problem. There service has always been first class in my opinion. :thumbsup:

28. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,219
    Never trust the words of a new member who's one and only post is a bitchfest :lesson:

I've never had any serious probs with Play .... always order from them if they happen to be cheapest ... missing orders have promptly been re-ordered and delivered or refunded

29. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Bit of a coincidence this. I normally get my stuff from Play (DVDs, CDs, games) within 3 to 6 days. It's been 12 days so far since I ordered about 7 DVD's. Maybe Customs had a big hit end the end of August and have held stuff back, I've had that before with Play.

I have been using them since they just sold DVDs and were play247.com, and they have replaced anything that has not been delivered or wrongly delivered, so I'll cut them a little slack for a while longer

30. raw27

raw27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Only use when i need to (when cheapest on the comapare websites)

All ways used to use them........ Not any more

Customer service Totally Crap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.