• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Play.com Best of Britain Promotion

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Mine. Is that against the rules? :rolleyes:

I've been on the Internet nearly 15 years and never seen a site yet that allows people to spam and make a profit from all the work put in to it by the people running it.

Maybe you could read the rules or ask? I notice you've still left your spam link in place while you get an answer.

sanddevil

Standard Member
I've been on the Internet nearly 15 years and never seen a site yet that allows people to spam and make a profit from all the work put in to it by the people running it.

Maybe you could read the rules or ask? I notice you've still left your spam link in place while you get an answer.
Your indignance is misplaced. I've been on the Internet for considerably longer as I was involved in the development of TCP/IP and OSI implementations in branded UNIX boxes in the late 80s.

Many sites allow such links including the Britmovie forums where I am a senior member. Furthermore, whilst you are spouting pompous bile, you have not taken the trouble to notify me whether I am actually doing something wrong despite your high-handed tone. I did read the terms and conditions and didn't see anything which expressly forbade me from doing what I did. Furthermore, I checked other links and got the impression other people were doing the same - I was afterall bringing an offer to everyone's attention which I thought could be mutually beneficial.

If I overlooked something in the T&Cs, fine, and I apologise, but I was unaware that you are the unofficial gatekeeper of this site, particularly since your nic doesn't suggest you are admin or moderator so would prefer a notofication from an administrator.

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Your indignance is misplaced. I've been on the Internet for considerably longer as I was involved in the development of TCP/IP and OSI implementations in branded UNIX boxes in the late 80s.

Many sites allow such links including the Britmovie forums where I am a senior member. Furthermore, whilst you are spouting pompous bile, you have not taken the trouble to notify me whether I am actually doing something wrong despite your high-handed tone. I did read the terms and conditions and didn't see anything which expressly forbade me from doing what I did. Furthermore, I checked other links and got the impression other people were doing the same - I was afterall bringing an offer to everyone's attention which I thought could be mutually beneficial.

If I overlooked something in the T&Cs, fine, and I apologise, but I was unaware that you are the unofficial gatekeeper of this site, particularly since your nic doesn't suggest you are admin or moderator so would prefer a notofication from an administrator.

sanddevil said:
Your indignance is misplaced.

You ignorance is not.

You've been more than 15 years on the Internet? Well, we now know which generation is to blame for spam and scam.

You've posted a dodgy "offer" link in a bargain area of the site which is self-serving and simply rotten spam.

And yes, I don't like spam especially from people who aught to know better. Although your use of "offer" makes me [giggle and] think you'd be well suited to going around the doors selling "cheap" electricty and gas too.

krish

Distinguished Member
@ sanddevil

FYI ...

go to AVForums.com AVForums rules

where it states in rule 6 that "Members of these forums must not":
Post any spam. People posting spam will be instantly and permanently banned and their posts will be deleted.

a personal affiliate link is usually regarded as spam here, afaik
- though most bargain savvy members won't even click on a link, they'll go straight to Quidco ;)
(and many of us helpfully post the appropriate Quidco merchant links)

Last edited:

Pandora's

Established Member
Hi Sandevil, if your post was a genuine mistake, then welcome to the forums...
As far as anyone being a 'gate-keeper' then I suppose anyone who is a member of these forums and values the idea behind it and the work of the founding member\s, then we are all as such. It's a kind of community I suppose with a lot of knowledgeable people and people, hopefully like yourself, who would like to support it and see it grow from strength to strength. This is, as I am sure everyone who uses the site will agree, without equal in its idea or outlook. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom