1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLAY and ordering from IRELAND

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dave P2001, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Dave P2001

Dave P2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just wondering if anyone living in Ireland has any experiencing of ordering R1, R2 dvds through PLAY. I'm thinking of getting some boxsets (Die hard collection etc.) and i'm wondering if I could get caught to pay customs or any other hidden costs etc.
    Any comments please,
    David.

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unfortunately you can get hit by customs for any package that has a value over £18 irrespective of where you order from. :(

Although I have seen someone mention a site that always puts a value of £17.99 on their packages regardless.

3. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David
    just to let you know, loads of people have got away with not paying import tax/customs. Me being one of them, but it wasn't a dvd, it was a amp and a sub shipped from America. As far as I know, they are fairly easy to let things go by in customs. Try 1 dvd anyway at first, I'm sure you'll get away with it, if not it will only be an extra 2Euro approx.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,470
    customs don't care in this country!!

I've ordered items from the 4 corners of the globe, and NEVER been hit for customs!!

And its been items costing more than €200

i got the following R1 boxsets from play

Rocky. toy story ultimate, die hard ultimate, wayne's world, and others

no customs charges, but i've also bought in electronics from the states, and not been charged.

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pot luck with customs, acquaintance of mine works for C&E. There is no way they can check everything that comes into the country, the volume would require colosal manpower. As it stands if you get away without paying you're just lucky.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is not at all simple.

I have twenty years experience buying Records, Books, HI-FI, CDs, Tapes and DVDs from outside Ireland. I currently import DVDs and CDs on a weekly basis so I can claim to have some experience.

In the case of individual DVDs there is usually no problem however Box Sets are a different issue ... because of their value one is tempted to select courier delivery and this can lead to problems.

If you are based in Ireland and buy from any other country within the EU you will pay the VAT in the country where the supplier is based (usually less than the 21% charged in Ireland) however for some strange reason Amazon (UK) and Amazon (France) unlike Amazon (Germany) charge you the Irish rate. There are no other charges. Buying from amazon.co.uk is now too expensive for people in Ireland and as Amazon France have very high delivery charges they are not worth considering.

If you buy from outside the EU (for tax purposes Jersey is outside the EU) if you organise for the goods to be delivered by mail the chances of being charged VAT by customs is close to zero. However, some suppliers will not refund or replace if you opt for mail delivery and the goods get lost in transit.

If you buy from outside the EU and the goods are delivered by courier then the chances of been charged is close to 100% and there will also be a handling charge (typically Euro 25).

If you buy from abroad you need to consider a number of factors.

Mail deliveries from the USA can take up to sixteen weeks therefore if you purchase from Amazon in the USA and you select ordinary mail delivery in order to avoid VAT you may have a long wait. In the case of Box Sets this may not be desirable ... but if an item is lost Amazon USA are very reasonable when it comes to replacing or refunding.

Postal delivery from Canada is much better ( one to four weeks)also the exchange rate is to our advantage and there are many good suppliers in Canada ... www.amazon.ca www.dvdboxoffice.com some Canadian suppliers send each DVD in a separate package.

Because of the weakness of the currency in Australia it is worth considering www.ezydvd.com. Postal charges are reasonable and delivery is usually less than two weeks.

CD-WOW based in Hong Kong delivers within ten days and I have never had a problem with Customs.

Note: Maybe someone else can confirm this ...
    Recently AN POST lost the contract to handle postal packages (over a certain weight) shipped by US MAIL and such packages are now delivered by EMS (now owned by ROYAL MAIL) and as EMS is a courier service all packages are declared to Customs and even if they are deemed to be VAT free you are charged a Euro 25 handling fee by EMS. For this reason I now purchase from Canada or Australia rather than the USA.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,470
    didn't know that, but it could be a reason why a few things have taken months to turn up, and then be damaged!!

Never had a problem until a couple of months ago, when i noticed that items from the states were taking months!!