1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play 247 Problems (Again)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Edgeyboy, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Against my better judgement, I ordered 3 discs from Play 247 last week.
    Have they come ? No.
    Can I get hold of them by telephone? No.
    Can I get hold of them by email. Yes. "...Dear Mr...we will reply to your email within 5 days...".!!!
    They have debited my card.
    :mad:
    Anyone got any suggestions?>:confused:

For what it's worth, please buy your discs from someone else.

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
  3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    yes, i'm still having trouble with them!!!

7 discs were shipped from them on Friday, none arrived yet, but will wait and see how long they take.

ordered 3 discs from www.dc-dvd.co.uk, they were shipped on Thursday before, and arrived on Monday,!! 3 days, from UK to Ireland, not bad!!!

Try emailing or phoning play, is a joke....!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

MJN wrote: "ordered 3 discs from www.dc-dvd.co.uk, they were shipped on Thursday before, and arrived on Monday,!! 3 days, from UK to Ireland, not bad!!!"

Glad to see someone else likes DC-DVD apart from me! They really are a great company, as long as you don't object to paying a bit more money for your orders!

Pooch

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Be patient.

My God, I don't know how old you are but I remember years ago when you "Please allow 28 days for delivery" literally meant 28 days.

Everybody expects things 'instantly' these days.
    It doesn't always work like that, esplecially with our (UK) Postal Service.

6. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Kev,

It is not a matter of being patient.
    If a retailer says that in stock orders will be shipped within 24 hours, then they should ship it within 24 hours. Your credit card should certainly not be debited until the goods have been shipped. No argument.
    If a retailer also says 3-5 working days delivery, then it should be 3-5 working days. What if you were buying a product for a present and needed it by a certain date ?
    28 days is fine if you are quoted 28 days upon ordering.
    It would also be nice if they told you the discs came from Canada, which is what they told me after my 67th attempt at phoning them.
    I personally believe that Play 247 offer a very shoddy service.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Play certanly do not seem to be making some people very happy at the moment, be it being a victim of there own success or just the time of year they certainly seem to be having some problems of late.

I have had well over 300 DVDs from Play and have never encountered any major problems, I still have not recieved my Moulin Rouge however but seeing as I have 20 odd films yet to watch im not that bothered.

I can make allowances for the slight drop in service that seems to be happening ( some of my films have taken slightly longer to get to me than they have in the past ) b'cos of the number of times I have used them in the past, but I can understand how annoying new users must find them and will obviously not be rushing back to use them.

I suppose on a good point that will then result in them being less busy and having less problems for me :D

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Tom

I agree with what you say, but I think Play (and other on-line companies) are being a bit optimistic when they say '3-5 days delivery'. They quite often use 2nd class post, which you and I know means more like '1-2 weeks'.

I have never had a problem with Play. The most I have waited is about 8 days.
    I am currently having a problem with DC-DVD. Similar to your case, I have been debited yet they haven't even received my disk from wherever it is coming from (US/Canada). It is still showing 'On Order'.

Stick with Play, they always 'deliver' (eventually) and they have an excellent 'No questions asked' returns service on non-rce disks.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Out of the 7 discs i ordered, 4 of them were in stock, and "shipped in 24 hours", however when checking my orders page, they all said "processing" for over 4 days!!!

Now they are shipped i can't see them arriving for a couple of weeks. As i live in ireland, the discs don't even touch UK postal service, SO stop blaming them!!

play ship dvd's via Belgium, don't they??

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Has anyone had any experience of DVD Express recently ?
    I used to use them and they were excellent, but seemed to go a bit wobbly earlier this year.

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I too am waiting for a DVD to arrive from play. Sent on the 6th I expected it a couple of days ago but nothing. I put this down to the being Christmas rush period not the fault of play.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Everyone and Kevo,

Firstly: the problems seem to be two-fold:-
    - companies who state "ships within 24/48 hours or X amount of days" and then they don't or can't, and
    - the alleged patience or non-patience of customers.

In my opinion, if a company states it can ship a DVD within a specified amount of time, then I expect that DVD to be have been shipped within that time! Period! After then, it is at the mercy of the post, but you should still receive the order within 5 working days at the most, after shipping.

As for the patience thing, (kevo), it's not about that at all! It's all well and good being patient, but if a company promises something, then fails to deliver, can you really blame the customer? No! Esepcially when companies like EzyDVD can ship from Australia to the UK, within 5 days!!! That's from one side of the world to the other, but try and get a delivery from the US or Canada, or the Channel Islands to the UK, and everything goes arse-over-elbow!

Also, most of these firms, have terrible customer service, and trying to get hold of a proper response to your query, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail is about as easy as extracting a pin-head from your rectal passage, with a pair of garden shears!!!! :eek: Again, who's to blame here? Well, certainly not the customer!

Therefore, I think Edgeyboy is quite within his right to kick-up a fuss about Play's poor service. And until Play (or any other firm) start getting things more in perspective, then they will loose a lot of customers.

Kevo, you said: "I am currently having a problem with DC-DVD. Similar to your case, I have been debited yet they haven't even received my disk from wherever it is coming from (US/Canada). It is still showing 'On Order'."

Well, your DVD is - rather accurately, I have to say - STILL on order. What would you rather have them list it as? The fact that DC-DVD haven't actually received the title in question, shows that it isn't (in all honesty) their fault, unless it was listed as being either "in stock" or had a "shipping takes 3-5" (or whatever) listed next to it.

If you want to, you can e-mail them at: dave@dc-dvd.co.uk And remember to include your order number, name and phone number so that they can chase it up for you, and get back to you.

By the way, what DVD is it?

Pooch

13. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware, Play247 source R1 DVD's from Canada but they are shipped to their customers from a warehouse in Belgium. R2 discs are sent from Jersey using recorded delivery. Four days is not unreasonable, nor is a week at this time of year but more than a week is worth chasing them.

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Totally agree!!

When a disc says "in stock" or "ships within 24 hours"

You don't want to see "processing" next to your order after 5 days!!

Needless to say, after 1 week, my discs from play still haven't arrived.

And my faulty disc which i sent back to play in mid-october, still hasn't been replaced!! But there returns department is dealing with it apparently!!

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Try using the email address which I included earlier in this thread, a reply every time in only a few hours

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    yeah thanks, i tried that one, and got a near instant response...!!

17. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Duncan,

Not any more... same reply as the other address..."..thank you for youre email... we'll reply in five days..."

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Until very recently, Play were the only company I'd really swear by.

However, when my order for 'It's A Wonderful Life' which stated 'In stock, usually ships within 24 hours', made on 8th December, is still being processed on 13th December, then I begin to get a bit peed off. Their customer service helpline would be a total joke if it actually existed. As for emailing with problems, you might as well sprint head first into a concrete wall.

I have a lot of orders with them at the moment... they better have them here before Xmas, or as someone who knows how, I'll be taking further action...

Update: Just used Duncan's email address recommendation... let's see what happens...

19. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    PLAY 247 NEVER REPLY TO YOUR E-MAILS.

DVD

20. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I sent two e-mails to them yesterday, nothing major and nothing importnat but got a reply to both very quickly

21. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to stick up for Play here. Like Duncan I have ordered Hundreds of Discs from them... and any occasional problem has always been solved to my satisfaction. They are for the most part an excellent company... And you have to consider world events at the moment.... Goods coming across the Atlantic may well take longer. It wasn't that long ago that R1 DVD's had to be virtually smuggled into the country and stockists were being turned over by customs. Be gratefull it's usually quick, and relatively easy.
    I for one would be mortified if PLAY went out of Business.

22. markannis

markannis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a DVD on the 4th of Dec which was in stock but just sat on processing until yesterday, when I finally got an e-mail from Play telling me it has been posted.

Over the last couple of months I have had no end of troubles with Play:

Ordered a CD which said would post within 3-5 days, actually took 2 months to arrive!!!!:eek:

And they have managed to decline my credit card three time for no apparent reason.

All in all I am very unhappy with the service received and i'm thinking of moving on and not using them again. Which is a shame because i've ordered nearly 50 DVD's from them in the past with no problems.:(

23. terminator

terminator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am getting seriously ****ed off with 247. They have just confirmed my latest order as processing after almost two weeks. We had the usual delaying tactics. I think I will take my business elsewhere in future. I am not impresses and I am fairly laid back kind of guy. They promised 24 hrs, I will be surprized if I get anything before 3 weeks.

Big thumbs down to 247:(

Anyone got any good on line recommendations for a R4 retailer?

25. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had one problem with Play in over two hundred orders.
    This was a missing DVD. Sent one E mail no reply, waited the 10 or 14 days after it was sent and called them, they replaced the item that day.
    Check your account info if it states sent then its down to the ROYAL MAIL for delivering your orders in the UK.

What is going on with Royal Mail I say!!!!

26. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    On the whole the mail is delivered by Postmen who are hard working and dedicated, yes there are a few dubious ones but the majority work in all weathers and get whatever mail you should have to you as quick as they can.

However its a pity they have to work with so much media backlash against them which makes Mr Postman look like the problem and NOT the company he works for.

How must the feel with the prospect of not having a job this year but then see ELTON "bloomin" JOHN and CHRIS "plenty of money" TARRANT being paid huge sums of money to advertise a company which really does not need advertising.

If you have a regular postman then give him a small Christmas tip or even just say thank you every now and then.

27. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This was not a pop at our post men just at the company they work for the ROYAIL MAIL.
    Who would like to get up at 4am in all weathers working for less money now then 2 years ago, now being told they will take another drop in wages, that is if they have a job in the future.
    My postman is a good friend of mine,and i wish them all the best.
    This is sounding more like a Royail Mail Thread, but one more point that shocked me. Did you know that the Goverment want to break up and sell the Royal Mail, which is why they won't intervene in the 30 Thousand or more workers that will loose Jobs next year.
    The future will see MAC ds postmen delivering mail.
    1p on a stamp will save all these jobs, but the Goverment SAID NO................... WHY

.......................................:mad:

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    I'm not blaming the postmen!! As other discs arrive from the uk, in 3 - 4 days, to Ireland. But from play, they're taking weeks to arrive!!

29. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Put 2p on a stamp and make sure they are all secured and rewarded for there hard work

And then perhaps said the best ones over to Jersey for a few weeks

30. terminator

terminator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have used www.ezydvd.com.au 3 times ordered films sunday pm , recieved email reply of posting .monday and the film delivered on thurs all in the same week not bad..:D