Play 247 - made me laugh....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Popester, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the recent thread about Play and thought well I had always had a decent service. What a mug....

Ordered 7 films (all R2) that were 'in stock' - 4 days later they still hadn't even been sent let alone arrived. So guess what? Yep, I cancelled 6 of them.

You just lost 100 squids worth of business Play, for fudge's get your act together....how much other business have you lost. This is why people go under not competition........now I will think twice before using them again.:mad:

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You cancelled an order after waiting just four days ????
    Are you mad?

I don't think an extra few days would kill us, do you?
    We are all getting far too greedy when it comes to DVD's on the net. We expect low prices and goods delivered in hours, not days.

Get with it! Play do a great job IMHO and I will always use them for R1 and R2 disks. They have the best customer service of all the internet suppliers (they even refund customs charges!)

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

Whilst I don't use PLAY myself, I can understand Popester's frustration, even if I don't agree with him cancelling the order after just 4 days.

The problem I think, is this: if any DVD company says a title is "In Stock", then technically, I interpret that as being "We have it, and can dispatch it immediately". That is, it's the same as seeing it on the shelf of your local HMV or Virgin, or whomever. It's there, ready to be purchased.

Hence, there should be no reason why that title can't be sent out within 48 hours. At least, not within any reasonable expectiation. I understand that on occasions things may have to change, e.g the 11th September US WTC attacks, or something major, but otherwise, 48 hours should be enough to send out an "In Stock" item.

As an example, I ordered 5 horror movies. Three of these arrived within 3 days, which was great. However, 2 of them were also labelled as being "In Stock", and yet a month later, and they still haven't been sent out yet. Why?!

I've kept my order, because I really want these two titles, and most other companies wouldn't normally be able to get hold of them, but it does make me wonder what the point of labelling a title as being "In Stock" really is.

Just my opinion...

Pooch

4. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point was just that. Don't tell me it is 'In Stock' and then (now 5 days later) it still hasn't even been sent (so we can add another couple of days plus on for post).

These were not brand new R1 films but stock standard common as muck old R2s that I could have got for pretty much the same price anywhere - however because they said it was in stock I thought I'd save myself a trip to the shops and £1 a disc (big deal).

I cancelled it because, as I said, I could have got it from someone else the next day and so I did.

Finally - no I disagree - I DO expect decent service from everyone I had over money to.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I'm wrong (no doubt someone will), but dosen't the Play actually state "In stock. This item will normally be despatched within 24 hours".
    Sounds like someone's got to big for their own good.
    I haven't used Play for a while now after I had some films "processing" for a week and threads like this do nothing to make me go back to them. I'll buy my R2 discs of the shelf and have found FutureEnt to be pretty reliable.

6. ADEOWEN

ADEOWEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had any problems with play,discs if ordered on wednesday arrive maybe friday saterday no probs with 200+orders,when did popester order them,on a thursday or friday?

7. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    PLAY have had problems recently. Whether it be because of database problems (as I was told!) or volume of sales.

Either way, I have cancelled ALL my pre-orders with them until they sort themselves out.

They are generally OK but with the Xmas purchases and hot films coming out I just couldn't risk it with them.

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,574
    Aparantly they are having problems and I can more than understand people desperate to get there DVDs wanting to cancel b'cos of this.

However I have to say I have had no problems with them with any orders. Ordered THE GRINCH on Wednesday and it arrived yesterday.

9. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered on a sunday evening, so I'm presuming that if 'in stock' they could be sent monday.........

got e-mails to say the 2 I left on were sent yesterday (saturday).

You get the picture.

10. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,574
    Of the 100s of DVDs I have had from PLAY I have never had one delievered on a Monday, strange but true.

I have had lots of DVDs sent at very strange time of nights and hardly ever wait more than 5 days

11. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience with Play247 was pretty annoying and disappointing. They refused to accept my credit card because it is issued by a non-EU bank (it's issued by my stockbroker in the USA) - even though the billing and shipping address is the same (here in Ireland).

Pity - I was trying to order a couple hundred pounds of DVDs/CDs.

I reminded them that I've had no problems with the card (a standard mastercard) in any establishment online or offline for over 3 years now....but they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.

I suppose they don't need the business eh ?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered over 160 dvd's (all R1) and have never had a major problem.

I ordered the Toy Story boxset last Thursday at 4.00pm and it arrived and 7.30am this morning - you simply cannot criticise service like this.

If you odd movie takes a couple of days longer it's a bit of a bummer, but hey if a wanna watch a movie I'll stick sometihng else on, it's not the end of the world.

13. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    hi,did you order online or phone,because most of the time when i order online i have to ring them when i'ts not processed within 24 hrs.

the last order i made it took 5 days!

14. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'v had no major problems with play.com. all my friends use it and they have had no problems either.

I think the problem with some people is impatience!!!! It'll take about 48 hours to process if it is in stock, and then a little longer if region one due to it being sent via airmail from europe (region 2 is recorded and from the channel islands).

Ordered the r1 of final fantasy, and its a beauty. Ordered on a Sunday night, arrived a week later on the monday. Region 2 discs are usually quicker if ordered on a monday instead of later in the week.

If you can't wait for it to arrive, watch another DVD!!!!! Life is not that hard you know!!

:D

15. andy-p

andy-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I used to use DVD Street exclusively for R2 titles, but they like many others added P&P charges, plus their prices aren't as good as they used to be. Service however was generally very good.

I discovered Play 247 about 2-3 months ago, and one thing I will say is their prices are just incredible. But I guess cheap prices usually means cheap service, and this in my experience, is the case with Play. I recently ordered a CD, which for some reason is sent by normal post rather than Registered like DVDs. Play stated that it had been sent, but it never arrived. Now I don’t doubt that it may have got lost in the post, but they didn’t seem interested at all and ignored many e-mails. In the end we phoned them, and after waiting for an eternity to get through, when we eventually did, we were told they would send out another copy, no apology, no explanation……

I have also received varying degrees of service with R2 DVDs as well. Overall I think they need to reassess their quality of service.

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I couldn't work out why a few of my orders went registered instead of normal, so I e-mailed them. They replied the next day as follows:

I guess this is because the CD's are sourced from Canada, like the region 1 DVD. Hope this helps.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had problem's with PLAY but I'd still recomend them. At one time if I ordered Friends DVD's they would go missing all other DVDs arrived but not friends. All where recorded Delivery but still went walkabout.
    Having sent many replacements that also when walkabout they refused to send any more disks to that address.

Thankfully I moved and am happy to use them again. Although it is taking a little longer to get disks.

I ordered A KNIGHT'S TALE on wensday hoping to get it Friday or even Saturday. No it arrived Today MONDAY. But still DVD EXPRESS would take longer, be more expensive and I'd have to pay for delivery. So its not to bad is it?

18. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used play for about a year now and have no complaints.I've found them excellent on "in stock" items which usually reach me in 3-4 days, although Movietyme get new releases to me quicker than the official date of release