Platoon SE R4

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kramer, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have this on R4/R1? I rec'd a copy (R4) recently, & find the DD5.1 soundtrack absolutely useless. 2D sound. Mostly centre spkr dialogue. Flat sound. Very occasional surround effect, at very low volume. Have I rec'd a duff copy, or is it like this?
    Any opinions.

2. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Kramer
    I have the R2 (not SE) disc and the DD soundtrack is crap. The sound engineer who re-mastered this from the original has made a mess of it. It is a great movie but the dodgy "surround" soundtrack ruins it for me. I assume that this is the case on all R2 discs, if not then I have bought a dodgy copy. Anyone else with similar views?:mad:

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I posted a reply when the disc was first released. At first I thought the DVD was to blame but when I decided to compare it with my VHS copy I found the sound was exactly the same. Ok the remastered DD track should have some improvments but it dont in this case. The fact is, that todays sound track are so dynamic we tend to expect every DVD old or newto sound as good. The same can be said about The Abyss SE on DVD it just dont cut the mustard any more and I cant bring myself to watch it on DVD. Ill sit and wonder what the hells gone wrong, then put Fast and the Furious and be totally blown away.

4. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    BadAss
    At least I now know that I am not alone in my frustration with the Platoon soundtrack. Still it is such a pity, this movie had the potential to have a fantastic 5.1 surround soundtrack to complement an excellent story. I now look forward to the release of Apocalypse Now Redux R2, the reviews I have read for the R1 version seem to be good.

"This is the end, my only friend the end". :eek:

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    i started a thread off about this disc ages ago an you are not alone.mate i`m not sure if the r1 was the same but the r2 was a disgrace i emailed mgm about the pis.s poor job of the disc an got no response.i borrowed a friends none special edition an it was just as bad.i hung on till the new version and went straight out to buy it an the sound was terrible i just returned my copy and got my money back

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. In the special fearures on this SE release, there's a clip promoting the DVD SE release which highlights the "Digitally remastered DD 5.1" soundtrack. Pity it's so crap.
    With regards to older movies not being as "dynamic" as their modern day counterparts, I have Apocalypse Now Redux R1, and the soundtrack is excellent. Pity the film itself isn't as good. The French plantation scene(all 40+ mins of it) does nothing for me.
    Both versions, using seemless branching, would have been nice, as I much prefer the theatrical release.
    This film is 8 years older than Platoon, so it seems that those sound engineers were not at the races when they massacred this soundtrack. :mad: