1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Platoon R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by General Skanky, Aug 23, 2000.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    More for my peice of mind than anything else, but......... I could have sworn that when I watched this film for the first time years ago there was a conversation in it about Sgt. Barnes and a 'gook' farmer, and how he/they shot each other. Does anyone know what I mean? It's just bugging me as I've just watched the DVD and it wasn't there.
    By the way, I thought the DVD looked just like a VHS transfer! with sound to match!
    Ok, but not as good as I'd hoped given such a good film. Never mind.

------------------

Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds as though you're talking about this film: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0094712

Also, I thought the Region 1 Platoon (got mine today) has excellent picture quality.

------------------
    Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No, I'm pretty familiar with that one and the dialogue is 'definately' (99.999999% sure) in Platoon. Unles you can be very specific and show me otherwise.
    Watch your R1 Platoon again and see the grain from the very beginning. Yes the trees look nice from those overhead shots, but the general, overall image has nothing on other films. For example, R2 of The Thing on DVD looks superb by comparison,taking into account the similarity of age of those films, filming tech. of 10+ years ago etc. I just think Platoon could have been better on DVD, and I never watch a film critically.
    But I do like the film so I'm not ranting and raving till the end of the world!

------------------

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    Sorry General but that dialogue of yours has never been in any version of Platoon I've seen before. I caught it 5 times at the cinema, watched it loads on video and tv, and I even borrowed my little brothers (not so little any more, he's 25 now!) video after reading your post, and I have to say I've never heard it before.

Have to agree about the pic. The scenes in "the underworld" have a lot of grain in them, but then I've got films a lot worse than that so it doesn't bother me as it's a hell of a lot better than vhs.

------------------
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Oh well, I'll have to live in misery and cope with it.
    But it will always bug me now.

------------------