1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastering query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by MNH, Nov 3, 2004.

1. MNH

MNH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, recently filled a channel with polyfilla quick drying plaster and i realise now that i should probably have built it up in stages as the channel was about 4cm deep and it took ages before the surface could no longer be pushed in (!). anyway, it now seems pretty solid, but i'm sure that its still not completely dry. does anyone have any advice on exactly how long i should leave it before i fill the last few mm with fine polyfilla?

also, is there now any need to paint the current plaster with pva/water solution before i finish it off?

cheers

2. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would suggest waiting a while, it will probably begin to crack after it has fully dried out, this will really depend on the drying conditions. I would wait and see, if it does crack then fill in the cracks and throw some pva into the mix, this will give some flexability.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Best thing for deeps cracks is to use 'No More Cracks' tub variety to fill to 3mm and then top off with HOmebase 'light' filler (i believe it is called - you know it is light because when u pick it up it feels empty - blue and white tub - as opposed to HOmebase fine crack filler which is in a light blue and yellow tub and useless)

Mine was ok to fill in after 60 mins, lightly sand it down and paint away. BUT definetly top off the crack with the filler recommended above. Lovely and soft and manouverable

4. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    MNH,

Dry - i'd agree with the other guys, if quick drying filler ain't dry in a day or so there's something wrong. If it feels hard and ain't moving and has lightened up in colour it should be fine. Just make sure everything has fully dried and hardened before sanding and finishing.

PVA - yes, you would normally only slap on a watered down PVA solution on top of the plaster if you're going to add more plaster or filler before sanding/finishing. The PVA (1-in-10 with water for surface preperation? can't remember - it says on the tin), allows the next layer of plaster to adhere properly to the layer beneath (or the original plasterboard surface or whatever you're filling on top of). If you don't PVA it you often get feathering - the thin plaster layer at the edges of the filled area repeatedly cracks off when you sand it leaving an unsightly ledge that you can't get rid of. It basically helps you to get that smooth flat finish.

Filler - i tend to use fastset (from the builders merchant) for finishing (and most larg-ish plaster filling jobs). You get a big bag for a fiver and mix it up yourself, easy to apply, really soft to sand off and dries in about an hour (unless really deep, should then use layering - instructions on bag as always). Not as easy a DIY option as tubs and tubes, and has quite a short useage life once mixed (maybe ten minutes), but great stuff (i hadn't heard of it until i asked some professional decorators what they use). I've not found a tub'd filler that is light and easy to work with, but someone told me about some stuff in homebase - so that may be the same stuff as scrapbook described (i might give that a try myself).

Good luck :thumbsup:

(i've still got to channel all the speaker wires in my new build house, 5.1 for living room and bedroom, gonna be fun...).

Cheers, Mark.

5. MNH

MNH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tks to all of you for the replies, will crack on tonight and hopefully it will all be finished by the wkend!

6. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't try and "Crack" on tonite :zonked: