Plastering over cables in trunking - what type?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by koonl, Jan 11, 2008.

1. koonl

koonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

My room has had its chimeny breast removed exposing the bare brick behind it. I've had the whole room replastered with Lafarge Easy Finish (Equivalent to Thistle Multi-finish I think), but with Thistle Hardwall then Easy Finish where the breast was. I now need to chase out the wall where the breast was for the AV cabling. The cabling will be in a "skirtingboard conduit" bought from B&Q so it will run from floor to plasma (conduit will be on it's end so to speak). I plan to the have the cap no more than 4-5mm from the surface and I like to know whether I should Hardwall over the chase and then finish off, or should finishing alone be sufficient enough? If I need to Hardwall, is it best to chase a little deeper and hardwall the recess then place the conduit in place and a little more hardwall to ensure it stays in place?

Thanks

2. Event Horizon

Event Horizon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    hi!!
    i would cut the chase in a little deeper then fix with bonding, as i think the plaster should be used at no more than 3 mil thicknes you might find that 4 to 5 mil might be ok but if it was me i would bring the bonding over the top of the conduit to about 2 or 3 mil from the desired finish then plaster..while im not a plasterer i think you may find that information correct.
    best regards
    nick.

3. koonl

koonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I think you are right. a few mm is all that is required. Regardless of the thickness of the finish coat, how different is Bonding to Hardwall?

4. Event Horizon

Event Horizon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    hi!!
    bonding is the stuff a plasterer uses to dot and dab the boards with, when it goes of its like concrete.
    ive just taken a look at the thistle website and i would say the hardwall you have should be fine to use instead of the bonding.
    best regards
    nick.

5. koonl

koonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I ( well my plasterer) just used Hardwall..