• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plastering Estimate (skimming) - Essex

VAMOS DAN

Hi guys, just moved into my new place and the ceiling in the lounge is all artex

Although its done well its not really my taste, and before i even think about decorating etc i think its something i will probably need to get done as i will always be regretting it

Basically its:

18ft by 12ft lounge
18ft by 11ft Dining room

thing is the rooms are both coved which ideally id like to keep, if i have it removed it will damage everywall in the lounge and diner, im figuring, which i dont want to do

Then this creates the problem of if the ceilings are skimmed, will it look odd where the little lip is where the coving joins the ceiling? any ideas?

and what should i roughly be looking at cost wise for someone to do both rooms skimmed based on my area (essex)

d50f53ed.jpg

cheers guys

Use a base price of about £300 (one guy) to £450 (2 guys) per day.

The old coving will stay. The artex will be wetted (I hope it's never been painted, then it wets easily and is much easier to remove as water quickly softens it), allowing it to be fairly readily scraped off.

One man can scrape a ceiling and replaster it in one day. If he is quick, he can do both rooms, providing they have been fully emptied, also in one day.

The new skim will only be as thick as it needs to be. Say 2mm thick absolute max.

Don't accept plastering that isn't totally perfectly flat. Look for bubbles. Don't accept any bubbles!.

Last edited:

VAMOS DAN

Use a base price of about £300 (one guy) to £450 (2 guys) per day.

The old coving will stay. The artex will be wetted (I hope it's never been painted, then it wets easily and is much easier to remove as water quickly softens it), allowing it to be fairly readily scraped off.

One man can scrape a ceiling and replaster it in one day. If he is quick, he can do both rooms, providing they have been fully emptied, also in one day.

The new skim will only be as thick as it needs to be. Say 2mm thick absolute max.

Don't accept plastering that isn't totally perfectly flat. Look for bubbles. Don't accept any bubbles!.

Both rooms are completely empty at the mo anyways, hence why im thinking getting it done now

Based in benfleet UFCNUT

no idea what the coving is tbh, presumed they were all the same :facepalm:

The artex pictures show work of a very, very high quality.

If you could educate yourself to be properly appreciative of this fact (and particularly so because it is 'done by hand' and so 'as rare as rocking horse poo' these days), then perhaps you might change your mind, keep it, and save yourself a few £100s..........??

:)

The coving is undoubtedly Gyproc. This is a bit like plasterboard in construction but shaped like coving.

Westindieman

Hi guys, just moved into my new place and the ceiling in the lounge is all artex

Although its done well its not really my taste, and before i even think about decorating etc i think its something i will probably need to get done as i will always be regretting it

Basically its:

18ft by 12ft lounge
18ft by 11ft Dining room

thing is the rooms are both coved which ideally id like to keep, if i have it removed it will damage everywall in the lounge and diner, im figuring, which i dont want to do

Then this creates the problem of if the ceilings are skimmed, will it look odd where the little lip is where the coving joins the ceiling? any ideas?

and what should i roughly be looking at cost wise for someone to do both rooms skimmed based on my area (essex)

cheers guys

The artex doesnt have to be removed unless it is loose. To skim over it is about 2-3 hours work including scafolding out the room and cleaning up after and you will likely have a plasterer and his mate and the cost of materials. If I was still in the trade I think I might be asking about £150 per medium size room.

And no it can be done out to maintain that little lip at the edge.

Last edited:

VAMOS DAN

It doesn't look loose tbh, and I appreciate it is very good work , but the modern design/setup I'm aiming for I think it may just not go :(

Westindieman

The artex pictures show work of a very, very high quality.

If you could educate yourself to be properly appreciative of this fact (and particularly so because it is 'done by hand' and so 'as rare as rocking horse poo' these days), then perhaps you might change your mind, keep it, and save yourself a few £100s..........??

:)

The coving is undoubtedly Gyproc. This is a bit like plasterboard in construction but shaped like coving.

You are correct it is very high quality, but artex is quite old fashioned now and a lot of people prefer a less 'fussy' look to their decor now.

shodan

Distinguished Member
What can I do about artex that has been painted over and is now peeling?

I hate the bloody stuff but can't be bothered with it....

And I've got the stairs and hallway to do and it's nasty woodchip wallpaper... Whole house needs redecorating... Shame I don't have any spare time OR money!

Westindieman

What can I do about artex that has been painted over and is now peeling?

I hate the bloody stuff but can't be bothered with it....

And I've got the stairs and hallway to do and it's nasty woodchip wallpaper... Whole house needs redecorating... Shame I don't have any spare time OR money!

Afraid you'll have to remove it all usually with the time consuming scraper, or could just remove the peeling bits and try to repair it.
Woodchip, no that stuff is also a real pain to remove but a steamer would make it easier.

D

Deleted member 51156

Just be careful scraping artex thats over 20 yrs old ,quite likely to have asbestos in the mixture...

shodan

Distinguished Member
I've only lived here 5 years and the atex was already here so i've no idea how old it is...

Whole bloody house needs doing and I've got no time and no money... Depressing...

willu

neilios said:
Just be careful scraping artex thats over 20 yrs old ,quite likely to have asbestos in the mixture...

Good call neilios. All this talk of scraping artex off fills me with dread. Asbestosis ain't no fun!

heebie

I work in building maintenance and do not recommend scraping the artex off. If you dont know how long it has been up then work on the assumption that it does contain asbestos. Get it skimmed,this will make sure all the asbestos fibres are fully sealed and will cause no problems unless the seal is broken ie. drilling into it. A good plasterer will be able to do this easily without having to change all your coving.
Hope this helps

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
I never knew artex had asbestos in it at some point wow, that nasty stuff was every where at some point.

heebie

Unfortunately asbestos was "the wonder fibre" for many years,still so much of it in older houses,old fuse boxes,fibre board,floor tiles...the list goes on. The best advice is,if you dont have to remove it then dont,most can be covered over or sealed to be made safe.
Asbestosis is a nasty disease that wont manifest itself for years but will eventually kill you,if in doubt leave it and call in an expert.

D

Deleted member 51156

My old house had modern artex ,so we skimmed it with finishing plaster twice.....

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Afraid you'll have to remove it all usually with the time consuming scraper, or could just remove the peeling bits and try to repair it.
Woodchip, no that stuff is also a real pain to remove but a steamer would make it easier.

no need whatsoever if it is sound .....

niceguy235uk

I would never have an artexed ceiling skimmed without it being plaster boarded over first.

i have seen many a ceiling with lumps falling off.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
niceguy235uk said:
I would never have an artexed ceiling skimmed without it being plaster boarded over first.

i have seen many a ceiling with lumps falling off.

Maybe they weren't primed before plastering .....

shodan

Distinguished Member
Any way I can tell if the artex contains asbestos? Or is of such an age to make it likely to contain asbestos?

heebie

Only way to be really sure is to get it tested professionally.this can be pricey. If its over 20 yrs old chances are it will contain asbestos,if in doubt leave it alone!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom