Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Huddo, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Huddo

Huddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Now this may see a very strange question.

I am thinking of wall mounting our 32" LCD in the bedroom, the problem is that this is a fairly new house with thin plasterboard walls. They are not very good at keeping raw plugs in and the curtains and coat rack that I have put up are already showing signs of loosening !!!!

Has anyone any suggestions on how to go about wall mounting a LCD in these conditions.

It wouldn't take long and I'm sure the TV wouldn't last long and the raw plugs would be removed from the wall and the TV would come crashing down.

Any suggestions from anybody that's been in the same boat.

Thanks in advance

HUDDO

2. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    you need to mount it onto the timber behind the platerboard. simple tap will tell you where the studs are, or else try a stud finder from b&q or the like, although i find these never work properly. once you've found the studs can mount it very securely

3. Huddo

Huddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    OK will take a look. Would you still use rawplugs or would you just screw through the plasterboard and into the wood behind ??

Cheers

HUDDO

4. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    no need for the rawlplugs with wood, get some decent sized screws and screw right into the wood. that's what i'd do anyway, you might want to get a second opinion

5. Member 280751

Member 280751
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alternatively, if you're able to mount the bracket to an outside wall you could buy fixings that are long enough to screw directly into the brick that's behind the plasterboard. They need to be quite long, but it gives you a much more secure mounting.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Perhaps the reason your having problems is that Rawl plugs are for BRICK walls not plaster board...... You'll need platerboard fixings for plasterboard walls......

7. wakeywarrior

wakeywarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Get some of the metal heavy duty plasterboard fittings. B&Q sell them. You drill a hole and the whole metal contraption goes in the wall. Tap the top of it and the teeth around the top dig into the plasterboard. Then turn the screw that comes with it (use a hand screwdriver rather than power as power tends to make the teeth move) and tighten the screw up, which compresses// butterflys the metal fitting in the hollow wall. You can then take the screw out and screw it back in as much as you like. These things will do the job for a 32"