• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasterboard fixings help

chrissy_bwoy

Standard Member
I am moving very soon to a new home with plasterboard and aluminium constructed walls.

I am looking to hang my 26" Samsung LCD in the bedroom, I need to purchase some fixings for the walls. I am looking to use the hollow wall anchors from screwfix but am a little confused over the size i will need. i am led to believe the plasterboard used is standard 16mm.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143...ollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-Pack-of-10

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...Hollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-52mm-8-16mm-Pack-of-10

if someone could clarify which ones are needed that would be excellent, or offer advice as to any better products. i will be purchasing and using a setting tool also.

Can these also be used around the house for bathroom fixings etc as I have only ever lived in brick walled houses before and used rawplug and screws lol.

Thanks for any advice

Chris:smashin:

rssteve

plasterboars is usually 12.5mm. if your hanging your telly then i would consider you find the metal studs and fix your bracket to that direct for the support. then use a couple of plasterboard fixings just to help hold it level

mark88

Either of those will work if it's 16mm plus skim coat.

I always use 9.5mm plasterboard and for fixing prefer the spring toggles or something similar that opens up in the cavity.

chrissy_bwoy

Standard Member
Thanks for the help chaps, I will have to check with the builder as to the thickness of plasterboard.

But if either is fine, thats cool. I was a little concerned if one would not compress enough to be a viable solution.

As for attaching to the aluminium frame its not really an option as there are no real fixing points like there would be with a timber joist, I will have a good look when i am in, just wanted to be prepared to get the most done while i have the time off work around the move.

:smashin:

terrykc

I had to use spring toggles in my bedroom (plasterboard, no studs behind TV) as the hollow wall anchor screws weren't long enough to go thorugh the TV bracket, plasterboard, back into the end of the anchor.

rssteve

lets hope the weight don't pull the surrounding plasterboard out. When i ment use the partition studs if you was to drill a hole in them and use a sprinh toggle through them theres no way that would pull out,

chrissy_bwoy

Standard Member
lets hope the weight don't pull the surrounding plasterboard out. When i ment use the partition studs if you was to drill a hole in them and use a sprinh toggle through them theres no way that would pull out,

thats an idea, ill have a word with the site office see if i cant have a bit of the ali to see what i may be able to do with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom