1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma's!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Crovax, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello People

Ive decided I want a plasma screen (massive screen,look cool etc) and after reading various reviews both online and in home cinema mags I believe that for the money the Hitachi PD5200 is my best buy.

Now Ive searched online and have found what I think is a cracking price from a site called sound and vision. http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=4446

Another important factor for me is being able to get 12 months interest free credit which this site can offer! (putting a decent sized deposit down bout £750)

So the question is before I take the plunge is, does everybody agree that this plasma is worth the money and also that I should buy it from soundandvision? :confused:

cheers :zonked:

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    the panasonic pw6/7 is the screen of choice on here. The hitachi is an 'alis' panel which lots of people dont like, but at the end of the day its what suits you, do a quick search for 'alis'

3. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what would you say sways most people towards the Panasonic rather than the Hitachi then?

Simply when comparing the different picture qualities?

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    yes, most people prefer the picture AFAIK, blacker blacks and all that, theres plenty of threads on both models if you take a look

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I know they're setup horribly but you should at least get down to a local currys/dixons/JL and see the Hitachi, Pioneer and Panasonic plasma TVs in the flesh. Each one has a different picture to the other, not in terms of better or worse but just different.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    most people end up building a 'home entertainment system' around their plasma after reading and learning here. This is a fine 'stand alone' thing, plug it in and watch TV, just like it used to be. But this is the digital TV age, and multi channel sound. The speakers on these things are fine for a bit of eastenders, but are not going to cut the mustard with terminator 3, or that new star wars box set you've got. You need 5.1 sound etc. So then the line of reasoning goes, 'why do I want speakers on my lovely minimalist plasma?' You put a system in with speakers of your choice, whether that is a set of 'dominators' or tiny Bose cubes (god forbid) it's whatever pushes your buttons. The TV, if you have sky, cable or freeview, why bother with analogue, it'll be turned off one day anyway. So then you are paying for duplication and complication. The PW6 is very cheap at the moment, but has none of these features. Yes it's a bit more complicated to set up, all 'monitor only panels' are, and likely it will cost you more, but bang for buck it's the way to go. Integrate your entertainment, with PC, DVD, TV, web, music all through the same system. It's where AV is headed. An integrated plasma TV is a bit of an anachronism taking the integration thing to it's logical end, it doesn't integrate enough in some ways, and too much in others.

7. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok lads this info has been great, this is my last question

Ive got £2000 to spend, this is what I want from it

*The best value plasma out there at the moment
    * I want to play my PS2 on it
    * I want a decent quality picture as my analogue cable strecthing from my downstairs tele to upstairs is producing a crap picture. Will a freeview box sort my problems, and will it still need to be connected to the aerial downstairs?
    *Not tht bothered about a whooping sound system - as I would be quite happy with the speakers that come with it, but open to suggestions.

Tell me what I need to buy!! :thumbsup:

Is this deal good?
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/special_offers.html

or PW7?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Are you going to run out and buy a PS3 as soon as it comes out?
    PW6 with AV AMp either pioneer VCXS402 and JS RGB>VGA converter
    OR A yamaha (or similar ) AMP with a Netgem (BT branded FV box) run FV and PS2 via compnent (and DVD) add some speakers like: http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=14,14,,2,en and away you go mate see thread i linked above as its all there with happy chappies who have bought and advice on where to buy from?

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Crovax - the best value plasma may not be the one who's picture you like!! Before you jump in head first get a quick peak at the Panasonics and Hitachi's and make sure you don't actually find the Panasonic picture horribly distracting, or suddenly find out that the Hitachi pic is completely what you didn't want! Sounds extreme, but it has happened. You can be pretty sure you'll end up with a Panny, but much safer to check first!!!

You will be very unhappy with your picture if you don't feed it a very good source (**** in - **** out). So a new Freeview box or similar is going to be important, plus you'll want it installed near the plasma and with a good aerial connection otherwise it will be a big timewasting exercise.

Panasonic monitors (PW6/7) don't come with speakers, check out the price of everything you need (panel, mount/stand, terminal boards, speakers) then decide what the bargain is. They can be horribly expensive (and ugly IMO). You can use any speakers with a plasma though...

11. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to Liam

Im not lazy I swear!, but I guess you guys have researched the best buys already?
    So any suggestions best buys for

panel - I presume this is the actual screen, if so you have already given your thoughts, and it comes with a intergrated stand connected to the plasma so this will do?

* terminal boards (nothing too fancy, enough for, freeview box, playstation, speakers?) to go with my panny

* and decent speakers but affordable please

OH yes this might give you all heart attacks I plan on watching DVD's via my PS2 :eek:

12. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crovax,

I noticed that you said that http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/ provide 12 months interest free credit.. I looked on their site but didnt see a mention of this.. Any chance of giving the link that states this or did you have to call them up?

Thanks.

13. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find it right now, but there was another post somewhere where apparently a lot of people had bad experiences with Sound & Vision Online. Not sure of any details as I've not used them myself.

Mat

14. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to throw a spanner in, I recently bought a Hitachi 42DP5200 and apart from early picture distortion concerns, I have now "tinkered" with it for a few weeks and everything is fine and dandy! You do have to spend a fair amount of time tinkering and there are a lot more settings on a plasma screen than a CRT (more than my CRT anyway). I have also ordered a new decent scart cable which hopefully improve my Sky+ even further.

It came with a smart swivel stand and actually pretty decent detachable speakers. I have a home cinema as well but use the Hitachi speakers for general TV use. They give a pretty good sound and there are a few variations too (movie, music, speech and a DIY setting).

I'm not sure why people here are so anti-Hitachi. It may not be the best screen, but it got great reviews and I think its a great screen. Although there is only 1 scart, there are 2 components, DVi, S-Video etc. so you can get around the scart issue. I have also ordered a high quality Ixos PS2 to Component lead so I should get a fantastic picture there (can't wait).

** 18 months Interest Free **

For your information Crovax, I suprisingly ended up getting mine from a high street store which I never thought I would do. I got mine from Miller Brothers and got a pretty good deal. I ended up paying £2350, £649.99 off their listed price (it pays to haggle). This included 12 months interest free credit...sort of. I had to pay a deposit (£400 but min. £100 I think) then they calculate 12 montly payments of around £75 then a balloon payment which has to be paid at the end or else you have to enter into their stitch-up finance deal over a further 3 years (and end up paying a fortune). Sounds a bit dodgy but what I will be doing is saving approx £100 a month then at the end of the 12 months getting an interest free credit card paying off the balance and extending the credit by another 6 months! If you want you can get another interest free card after that and transfer the balance etc. etc. etc.

15. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3ill I just phoned them up and asked if they offer the credit, they said yes, no problems!

Hmmm decisions the extras you have to buy with the panasonic make it pretty much the same price as the Hitachi, Just seems a lot easier to go that route, I think I should flick a coin in the air !! :confused:

what extras do I need with the Panasonic, Speakers and Terminal Boards right?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for the price of the panny speakers and a couple of terminal boards you can have an AV amp and 5.1 surround sound mate.................. Much better for DVD and Games... If freeview and PS2 are your main veiwing I suggest you get a PW6 and a component board and AV amp with 2 component inputs EG http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8414&taxonomy_id=62-98 and a £200 5.1 speaker system to suit tastes...then you use a netgem (BT branded £64.50) box that outputs component and Ixos PS2 component cable and run it into Panel....... Very nice little system mate drop AV-sales a line and get a quote see what you fancy.....
    I am not as anti Hitachi as some........... but at £1580 for a PW6 delivered with a terminal board i think its a hell of a deal........... Plasma and 5.1 for under £2k??????

17. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've bought from Sound and Vision online previously and had no problems at all!

18. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horny Dragon you are the man

I get paid on Friday and I know where my money is going!

Thanks 4 all the help :cool:

one last thing does the panni come wit an intergrated tuner? :confused:

19. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there's a another good deal out there for the Hitachi PD5200 with interest free credit

it;'s at flatdeal.co.uk

Also I've noticed that this forum can be very panasoniccentric at times, before being persuaded against the hitachi remind youself why you originally picked the hitachi here and here.

Then look at both the panasonic (for it is a good screen) and the Hitachi. Richer Sounds has both (the 5000pro is the same screen with less inputs but costs more there !!!) or try currys.

It's only when you see both that you will know which one you want.

Vileda

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PAnny veira is the integrate tuner unit and PW6/7 is a monitor panel only.... But Sky is a tuner so iFreeview and so is cable... Also all VCRs and DVDrecorders have analogue tuners...... So do you really want an integrated one?

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Flatdeal seem seriously expensive to me, I can't get away with those kind of prices these days in 20k installs.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO kidding! http://www.flatdeal.com/th42pdw6.htm OUCH.............

23. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so just to get this straight If I buy the Panny, I need this lot

Panny TH-42PWD6 £1580.00
    (What terminal should I buy with it, want to watch freeview,DVD's and PS2 you get a selection of free terminals to choose from av sales but which one?)

Tuner - Illl be getting a freeview Box - Goodmans GBD2 £50.00

AV Amp - This is I presume to connect my PS2/speakers etc to,
    Horny Dragon recommended this one..
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8414&taxonomy_id=62-98
    £200.00

Leave me about £200 for a set of speakers any ideas? Hpw bout this?
    http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=5169

:rolleyes:

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  25. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa!

Most finance companies will NOT allow you to pay off an interest free agreement with a credit card. They accept only Cash, cheque or Debit card from experience. Please check this out.

Brock.

26. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,170
    Crovax,
    i know it's alot easier to buy the hitachi.Don't have to worry about scart boards and other bits,thats the way i went and after 12 months couldn't stand the hitachi pd3000 any longer.Now own a PW7 and im over the moon with it.
    Buy the panasonic you won't be sorry,also avsales is where i brought mine and they where excellent.

27. Crovax

Crovax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brock thanks for the advice, Im just gonna pay it all off in the 12 or 9 months (what avsales offer) dont like owing at the best of times.

28. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

....DOH!

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    But some will......

30. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after looking around at all the different sites, I decided I would try and give AV-Sales a call to see if they would offer a zero deposit, pay in 12 months time at 0% interest option and guess what -- THEY DID!! :smashin:

So with the good advice of Hayes (thanks for all the help buddy!) I went ahead and placed an order for

PWD6
    Denon AVR-2805
    All the wires/JS box etc etc..
    Already have my Canton CD 1's delivered

I cant express how good it feels dealing with the guys at AV-Sales since they know exactly what they are talking about and you feel your individual needs are catered too. I would HIGHLY recommend these guys to anyone considering a home cinema purchase.

Now comes the hard part.. waiting for delivery.. :mad:

3ill.