1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas With HDMI Input?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rasczak, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I am looking at getting a new Plasma in the next 6 to 12 months. And as any plasma needs to last for a few years given the unit cost I would ideally like a model with two HDMI inputs: one for Sky/DVDR (models equipped with HDMI will appear in the next 12 months) and the second for a 'proper' DVD player. Do any such units exist or are they coming (as in coming in the next 12 months max)? Obviously High Definition support is a must given Sky's announcement of HD-TV from 2006!

Obviously if no such plasma is coming I will have to accept a single HDMI socket and use component for the 'second source' (Sky). However having a look at a current Pioneer model the single HDMI input seemed to be AV3 which also seems to be the same input as the component input? Does that mean you can only have one or the other?

Finally are any of the new Panasonic 7 series plasmas going to be equipped with HDMI (Panasonic are releasing the S97 DVD player later this year so I would hope a plasma would accompany that)? How about Hitachi or Samsung? Nothing against Pioneer but I'm not overly keen on the design of their current sets (although this could always change with the new models).

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Or you could consider a unit with one HDMI or DVI HDCP input and use a HQ external video processor with the socketry you require and very probably superior performance...

The Pioneer MXE's have 3rd party input terminal boards available soon that will have what you want I believe.

Gordon

3. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The new panny TH-42PHD6 has a DVI-D terminal board option. I guess you could have a couple of them. Or bettercables do DVI switchers, 2 into one or 4 into one.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    But then you have the problem of 50hz on the dvi input with the panny units, so it is back to the pioneers, which also can't do blacks well.
    I personally would go with a HD panny and an external scaler as Gordon said if you have to have a HD panel now, and forget about DVI.
    I just bought a PW6 as it does everything I want now and there isn't really a plasma out there at the moment that I would be happy with when Hi-Def TV arrives.

One of the best things with Hi-Def is the incredible inky blacks and the detail within them, and there isn't a digital that can show this off properly yet imho.
    Have a look at U-571 on a CRT, the bit where they are rowing over to the German U-Boat in the rain, the detail that is in that scene is incredible, but on most digitals it is completly lost. The panasonic does a fair job but the contrast ratio isn't anyway near yet.