Plasma's with 1,024x768 and PC Connections ?

Micro44UK

Standard Member
Both LG Electronics 42PC1DA and Panasonic TH42PX60 have a resolution of 1,024x768. Cnet mentions this non-widescreen resolution might cause problems when connecting to a PC.

"1,024x768 is usually a 4:3 resolution; Panasonic uses rectangular pixels to make it 16:9. This is fine when you're using the other video inputs, but it means that it's difficult to get a properly proportioned PC picture"

Any ideas? I will be using my TV mostly for watching movies from my PC (eg- WMV Highdef / divx) but like the plasma picture more than LCD.. How bad would the PC picture be on the screen?

i may be wrong but i believe the pixels are rectangles not square which means that the 1024x768 resolution is displayed as widescreen not 4:3.

chaparral

One big problem you may get with trying to use your PC for playing your movies through the VGA input is that many plasma's don't support 50hz on there pc input...

Micro44UK

Standard Member
I don't think either has a 'specific' PC input - i was going to use a DVI-->HDMI cable - do you think this would work?

Regards,
M

SebD

Standard Member
I've just bought a Pioneer 436XDE, which has 1024x768 resolution panel.

I've got my Mac mini (used for downloading and watching TV shows) connected to it using a DVI to HDMI cable, and the computer automatically detected a resolution of 1280x720. So it's essentially outputting the same 720p signal as other components, which the TV scales to fit, and it works perfectly.

Interestingly, the Mac also offers a resolution of "1920 x 1080 (interlaced)", which I've not tried yet...

gpa

Banned
Micro44UK said:
Both LG Electronics 42PC1DA and Panasonic TH42PX60 have a resolution of 1,024x768. Cnet mentions this non-widescreen resolution might cause problems when connecting to a PC.

"1,024x768 is usually a 4:3 resolution; Panasonic uses rectangular pixels to make it 16:9. This is fine when you're using the other video inputs, but it means that it's difficult to get a properly proportioned PC picture"

Any ideas? I will be using my TV mostly for watching movies from my PC (eg- WMV Highdef / divx) but like the plasma picture more than LCD.. How bad would the PC picture be on the screen?

As for general PC work the panny's not too bad, I run mine at [email protected] via vga for general use, ie surfing, picture is very good wmv/divx not bad but not really had chance to really play with it as i tend to just wack a dvd in rather than booting up the PC.

E

EvertStrack

gpa said:
As for general PC work the panny's not too bad, I run mine at [email protected] via vga for general use, ie surfing, picture is very good wmv/divx not bad but not really had chance to really play with it as i tend to just wack a dvd in rather than booting up the PC.
But with that resolution it is only not stretched with 4:3 aspect, isn't it? In 16:9 aspect the screen is stretched which is not usable for pictures.