1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasmas, tuners, guarantees, etc.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stevie S, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had a demo of the NEC 42VPA and was impressed by its performance - but then this is the first plasma I have seen on proper demo, rather than in a showroom. One of the main benefits of the NEC seems to be its 3 yr guarantee.

I know that John Lewis do a couple of nice 42 plasma sets - notably the hitachi and pioneer - and that Lewis offer a 5 yr guarantee on TVs - but this only includes plasmas with tuners. Is the tuner box likely to complicate matters? I intend to match with a Denon AVR3803 and Denon 2900 player, and need to feed in Sky+, too. Can you use the hitachi or pioneer without the tuner?

Any other thoughts on the Hitachi 42PD3000 / NEC 42VPA / Pioneer PDP433MXE three-way match?

Any advice gratefully received

Stevie

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You cannot use the Hitachi 42PD3000 without its AV box - the connector on the screen is DVi but it is non-standard.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Those are probably the 3 most different 42ish screens you can find! The NEC is my favourite, loads of connections, good electronics, brilliant warranty, true 16:9 screen with DVI for HCPC connection. But that's just what I'd do with it, the others are good in other areas, BTW that must be the 433HDE JL do, with tuner. It's due to be replaced, so going cheap. Bargain to be had maybe?

4. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice - appreciate it. Does anyone know if the NEC is ready for HDTV? via that DVI, perhaps? Apologising in advance for ignorance...

Stevie

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Almost all current plasmas will accept a 1080i signal. The NEC is of course only w-vga resolution, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that, it's the same as the market leading screen. I've had the NEC side by side witha PW5, on a VGA distibution system, running a JS vga converter froma Nokia 221 freeview box, and the NEC was visibly better, and not subltly either. Couldn't comment on the PW6, but would very much like to.

I'm sure it will accept that res. via DVI, it's big in Japan after all.

6. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the clarification on that.

I saw some Panny 6s today in some stores in London and was not as impressed as I was by the Pioneer and the Toshiba that I saw standing next to them. But that 3 yr warranty on the NEC is hard to argue with...

Stevie

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The London store thing sounds like a setup problem, the tosh IS a Panny after all! The Pio. should look good, but was it an MXE or HDE, the HDE has tuner/processor, and can look good with composite video feeding it.

8. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn, guess I should have asked a few more questions here before I started looking around ths shops. Too many things to be tracking at once!

I think I may go the NEC way, but just a last q, if I got the Pioneer from John Lewis (w media box, to get the 5 yr guarantee), would I then be able to run the panel without the media box, just using the sky+ direct? I assume that I could use the Denon 3803 video uplink and so DVD, VCR, sky+ would simply go through the receiver and then into the panel. Or am I missing a trick here?

thanks!
    Stevie

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, the HDE uses a proprietary signal on a 'dvi' lookalike plug, + control cable, the display won't turn on without the box.