Plasma's to be phased out in 12mths?!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by boingboing, Jun 3, 2004.

1. boingboing

boingboing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Finally took the plunge yesterday and bought my first plasma TV (Panasonic TH37PA20 for £1995 from AJ Electronics), after being very pleased with myself I called my brother-in-law and told him of purchase as he is very into the AV scene where as I am just a novice. :p

Anyway, as the heading says he has said that from the magazines that he has been reading they are looking to phase out plasma over the next 12mths and make LCD the premier format. Obviously being a novice and after being very pleased with myself as I thought I'd got a real bargain/good TV I'm now having second thoughts. Do I need to ? :suicide:

Cheers

Pete

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    :D balloni :D

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it matter if they did? If you're enjoying your new plasma TV anyway who cares whether they're phased out. No-ones going to come knocking on your door and take it away :)

Maybe your brother-in-law is just suffering from p...plasma envy :laugh:

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah. Just like all the magazines (and Sony, probably more so Sony :) ) said Minidisc was gonna take over from CD.

Maybe you'd like to quote the magazine and then we can all 'av a larf as well :D

5. boingboing

boingboing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Must admit thought it was a very strange comment. Normally I'd expect that sort of comment to be a wind-up, but perhaps it is jealousy!

Have I bought an ok unit though? From what I gather from this forum a lot of people plumb for the Panasonic units.

Pete

6. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    boingboing..... Just look at type on an LCD.... it looks rubbish, i think LCD is still so far behind. Even today, given the choice, on a large screen you can't beat plasma, esp the panny models!

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Quite a lot of plasma bashing is often jealousy, either that or ignorance!!!

Quite a few friends/family said "Don't you need to regas those!!!" :rolleyes:

I think that at some point in the future LCD will take over, but I would agree that at the moment the 42"+ level, plasma is very much the preferred option.

JJ

8. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I agree with most of the replies..... Whilst LCD is getting more popular, this is only really in the smaller sizes and lower price points - which is great as it enables the mainstream market to get Flat TVs. But in the larger sizes, and certainly the higher end i see plasma being around for a while yet.... prices will come down, but quality will continue to improve. LCD has its merits, but ive had plasma for 4 years now, and change every 18months or so - seeing a massive quality leap each time. There is still plenty of room for improvement ! :)

Rgds
    Kev

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Technically, I think LCD has still got someway to go to compete with plasma (ie movement artifacts, squoshed white level)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Having returned from Cedia, and having seen some stonking great LCD's, inc. the Iiyama 40", they're improving, but some way to go. Black levels are not yet at the Pioneer plasma level, and price of a 40" is over 4k trade, +vat! So they're twice the price. Manufacturers are still committed to plasma, except Phony of course, who have committed heavily to LCD. Maybe it's them again? Chuck out your plasma and buy a Sony LCD, you know you won't be happy till you have.

11. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you explain this comment? I haven't seen the Pioneer plasma's but I read another thread a few days back which said that black is in fact grey on Pioneer panels. There is obviously some difference of opinion somewhere... :confused:

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Gregorski

I'm sure MAW will reply to your question but permit me to jump in for a moment.

I think you may be suffering from one and one not making two :)

Black Level:
    In general Pioneer PlasmaTV and Plasma Display don't have as deep blacks as say Panasonic Plasma Display - some folk prefer the deeper blacks that Panasonic offer whilst others prefer differing attributes of the Pioneer screens and whilst Pioneer are not as black as Panasonic they are not light grey.

Grey side bars:
    Pioneer PlasmaTV's are pre programmed to display Grey 'Side Bars' when in 4:3 mode - this is to stop uneven screen wear if you watch a lot of 4:3 material; though those who only occasionally watch 4:3 on their Pioneer PlasmaTV can find the Grey Side bars disconcerting.

Best regards

Joe

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sharp are also heavily into LCD but Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi and Fujitsu as well as NEC, and loads others are as well!

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    OK then, as Joe says, Pioneers don't have the percieved black levels of Panasonic plasmas, but in fact what the hell, you just get used to it. The point was, LCD panels are not yet as black as the 'worst' plasmas. Contrast levels in fact are appalling by plasma standards. I'm personally quite excited for the future of LCD, but patience will be necessary, and 12 months? You must be joking!

15. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It really depends on which company you speak to. Sony have recently begun entering the LCD market as they themselves are not sure on which one will win out. Plasmas are a superior technology over LCD.

LCD was first invented back in 1960 something and if you think, the technology has now been pulled to its limits. Many companies now say they doubt they'll get beyond 1000:1 contrast on LCD and response times will be a min of 12ms (with a comprimise on viewing angle). Plasma offers advantages of all those drawbacks. However, due to issues such as screen burn Plasmas are less flexible with the content they can display.

I see Plasmas and LCD continuing to run along side each other for many years. You'll mainly find people who know what they are doing buying a PDP and the average consumer buying LCD.

The technology that will no doubt replace Plasma and LCD is Organic Light Emiting Diaode (OLED). It offers all the advantages from each technology without any issues of PDP, LCD or CRT. It will be at least 2007/2008 till we see big enough displays but we can look forward to:

- Excellent contrast (20,000:1 I heard)
    - Excellent Brightness
    - Perfect Viewing angles
    - Instant Response times
    - Superior Colour

I think the only drawback is when used for Computers, you still can't run multiple resolutions like you could with a CRT.

Back to your original question. I highly doubt they'll phase them out, but even if they did you'll still own a superior display ;)

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Hello all

Strange how everyone turns to Sony for insight into the TV market - as far as I can see those guys have made a monumental cock-up of product planning in recent years as far as Display technology goes.

Sony are now tied in with Samsung for Plasma technology for the next few years and I guess they still hope that OLED or some other technology they hold more patent on will become viable sooner rather than later.

Plasma and LCD will co exist for a while yet - until something new comes along and Plasma production is definitely not stopping in the next twelve months; well not for companies like Pioneer, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Samsung, LG who all have big money staked in the technology.

Best regards

Joe

17. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, buy they are a good example of a confused company. Personally, I don't like or trust the Sony brand!

18. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It certainly appears that way. Thanks for putting me straight

Presumably the black level issue with LCD is due to the pixel's naturally white state and plasma pixels naturally black state (i.e off) It is harder to hide light than create it...

19. compo

compo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me thinks your relative is just a bit ****** that you have the jump on him :laugh:

20. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right on! I've come across this loads of times. But you know they'd LOVE to own a plasma really!!

21. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    On the subject of Phony bashing (nice one MAW) I spoke to a Sony rep on stand at an AV show once..... He managed to put me off Sony for life! (lol)

Having said that, I have got a VPL-VW11HT projector, but that is only because it was very, very, cheap when I bought it

22. will-wac

will-wac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really understand what is with the insulting of LCD's colour :) !!
    Check out the Sharp Aquos (37" model) at John Lewis or something and compare it with another plasma at the same size or more and compare the quality!

The colour on the LCD is so much more realistic than grainier plasmas. I admit that the only plasma I could even consider comparing was a panasonic which still had a lack in colour depth. The Aquos' resolution is far greater than a plasma's and it is already noticable that large companies; Sony, Samsung etc, are quickly advancing in LCD technology and it may take only a few months before we see LCDs in sizes such as 50".

I do disagree about the timescale of the roll-out of plasmas- I reckon it will be at least 2 years before plasma's lose their crown as the preferred option because they are that much cheaper. :smashin: