1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas that supoprt 1:1 DVI mapping

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Orangelo, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, first post :)

I have searched around the forum and found some specific threads regarding the topic but no definite, final answer, so forgive me if this is kind of a deja vu.

I will be buying a plasma either this Christmas or right afterwards. It is to be mainly used as a monitor for PAL DVD playback. Source will be an HTPC (or HCPC, as you like it.. I am used to AVSForum language :laugh: )

I want to know if you have 100% confident information on the palsma displays that will take their native resolution through a digital connection (DVI / HDMI) at 25hz or 24hz multiples without internal refreshrate conversions. The screen has to be high-res, meaning above 576 lines of vertical resolution, and size should be 42" or greater. The goal is to play PAL DVDs from my HTPC with fluid motion & 1:1 pixel perfect.

Also, and this is a little bit more technical, I would appreciate information on whether such plasmas would treat a sub-60hz signal as a computer signal, using 0-235 RGB values, or on the contrary, treat it as a video signal with 16-235 values for black and white (as it is the case with many front projectors, with which I am far more familiar than with plasmas).

Thanks in advance

2. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A heck of a good topic! And if you don't mind extending it to 37" displays then it becomes perfect! :smashin: :clap:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Gordon, JOE, MAW over to you guys, suggest you hold off on a decision until the latest generation of Panny and PIO Higher DEF sets have been fully exploited!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No current screen exists to do this AFAIK, though you stnad a chance of 72khz with a Pio MX panel I believe. No HDCP support though, just good old DVI.

5. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    None yet, definitely.

6. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  7. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, many thanks for the replies. Kind of a disappointment, though :thumbsdow I expected plasmas to behave more like computer monitors as they are so widely used in airports, convention centers and that kind of premises, but according to your comments it seems that they are even worse than projectors

The Pioneer that is mentioned... is it a discontinued model?

8. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    The main sticking point here is the 48/72 refresh rate. In consumer land, they don't exist :)
    50/60 is the norm - so PAL is fine, but you will still see a degree of 3:2 judder on most screens.
    There are plenty of screens which allow 1:1 at 50 and 60.
    This is no worse than fixed panel projectors afaics
    Hope that helps
    Regards
    Alex

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The Pioneer plasma MXE 43 and 50 MXE have a FRC mode3 that is designed for playback of 24 and 25 field per second signals from HD cams I believe. I have never tested this so don't know how or what they do with such a signal. When I have a chance I'll try sending such a signal to one and will report back on what it does.

Gordon

10. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I am not after true 24fps playback with PAL material, and I don't watch NTSC DVDs at all. 24fps PAL is more trouble than it's worth and frankly, my ears can't tell the pitch difference derived frm the 4% speedup. 25fps / 50hz (or 75/100hz) is alright for me.

If you tell me that there are plenty of plasmas out there that will take their native resolution through DVI @50hz, you make my day :thumbsup: Is it possible to have an indication on a particular brand / model that wil do that?

11. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Gordon. I would appreciate that.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Orangelo:

The Pioneer 5th Gen MXE's can accept native res via DVI at 50Hz in both 43" and 50" sizes.

Gordon

13. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orangelo, i was desperately seeking the same info and someone on AVSForum pointed me here. Its still unclear and i don't wanna be a guinea pig with so expensive equipment, i'm oriented on the new PDP505 Pioneer, price Tag is 12.000 (yes twelve thousand) euros !
    bye
    dubmaster

14. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    12k euro can not be.

Gordon, what is The Pioneer 5th Gen MXE's exatly? MXE1 is fourth gen if I am correct?

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Plump: Yes I think you are correct it's 4th gen...my mistake

Dubmaster: If that's the domestic plasma with the media box it cannot accept native resolution on digital inputs.

Gordon

16. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, it is. I need mainly a TV set for the Living room, i already have an HD2 DLP with two HTPCs. I' d like to have just a simple remote control for casual tv viewing, not mouse and keyboard.
    Are you sure the HDMI input on the media Box cannot accept 1:1 mapping ?

I found a PDF with HDMI capabiliteis on euro website ARE1375_PDP-R04E.pdf
    1920∗1080i@50Hz
    720∗576p@50Hz
    1280∗720p@50Hz
    720(1440)∗576i@50Hz
    1920∗1080i@59,94/60Hz
    720∗480p@59,94/60Hz
    1280∗720p@59,94/60Hz
    720(1440)∗480i@59,94/60Hz

*BUT* they write: • PC signals are out of correspondence.

A Pioneer guy told me that the only issue is with HDCP non compliant devices, All new ATi cards are HDCP 1.0 compliant.

Bye
    dubmaster

17. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Loewe have a feature called DDC (Display data channel) that allows you to define the specifications of the input signal or have it automatically determined. This works for HD component, VGA (via DVI-I) and a subset for DVI-D input. When choosing my Xelos SL LCD panel I specifically asked Loewe customer support in Germany about 1366x768 at both 50Hz and 60Hz (Native for their LCD panel) support and they confirmed that 1366x768 was supported, however, until I get my DVD software upgraded to output at this resolution, I cannot confirm this 100% for both 50Hz and 60Hz material. Unfortunately the EDID returned from my Loewe display is definately incorrect so you will need some way to manually override the resolution on the source which is the software upgrade I am awaiting for my DVD player. Their aspect ratio control allows for an 'original' setting for 1:1 mapping. This technology is available on a number of their displays, including the 32"/37" LCD's and larger Spheros plasma's. Unfortunately their larger plasma panels appear to be 1024x1024 Alis panels, but the 32" and 37" LCD panels are 1366x768.

If anyone is in the Kingston area and has the ability to bring a source that supports 1366x768@50/60 via DVI and knows how to configure the source, feel free to PM me if you would like to bring it round and connect it up to my 32" Xelos SL.

-Ian

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    50" PLASMA has res of 1280 x 768.....not on your list.....so no 1:1....it'll accept 720p@50 or 60 though but that's not what you wanted.

Gordon