1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas & screen burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matt F, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got me a new Panny PW7 - excellent service from avsales by the way.

Anyway, are plasmas more prone to screen burn than CRTs and is there anything you need to do to guard against this. I'm thinking of when viewing 2.35:1 movies where there will of course be top/bottom black bars on the screen and also 4:3 TV pictures where there will be left/right black bars.

There's a load of stuff about screen savers in the manual but this seems to be to guard against still images rather than moving pictures that don't fill the entire screen.

So, any tips please?

Many thanks,

Matt.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's a problem for me, too. I have watched a few movies with the black bars showing, and fortunately the bars fade after a few minutes. I don't want to push my luck, though. That's one reason why I still subscribe to Sky Movies, because the majority of them are broadcast in 16:9.

3. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

As you have the pansonic PW7, you really have no worries about screenburn. The 7 series is supposed to have CRT levels of screen burn immunity. Just make sure the contrast and brightness are down to sensible levels, watch a varied diet of program material and forget about it.

FWIW, my PW6 shows absolutely no problems with black bars on 4:3 or 2.35:1 even after many hours viewing.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Strange how the manufacturer still chooses to put a warning in the manual, if it's immune ? :)

5. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

CRTs are not immune from screen burn either, I have seen screen burn on CRT screens. The phrase 'having CRT levels of screen burn immunity' does not imply that they are totally immune, just that they have the same level of resistance. Provided you are not stupid, you can forget about screen burn.

Unfortunately, as a Hitachi user, you have to be rather more concerned than we do ;)

6. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

They recon about 200 hours running in, at low contrast and brightness settings!

Cheers! :smashin:

7. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how low is low? I reduced the contrast from the factory setting a bit but thats all. Does anyone have the actual settings they are using to run the pw7 in and what happenes if I don't reduce the contrast and brightness for the first 200 hours?

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As far as I'm aware, the technology used in Hitachi plasma is exactly the same as all the others :suicide:

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    njr,

You really need to get that superiority complex seen to. :laugh:

10. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its only a bit of gentle teasing. Nick made fun of my grammar so I made fun of his screen :)

Seriously though, although the technology is the same, the phosphors are quite likely to be different. Nick has mentioned about black bars being visible on the hitachi after watching 4:3 material. My bro has a hitachi screen and has the same issues and one time had quite severe image retention of a channel logo. None of these things are apparant on Panny plasmas IME.

Although not a scientific obervation, I have also seen quite a number of hitachis in shops with burn in, but never a Panasonic. Makes you wonder doesnt it?

I'd be a lot more careful about taking precautions to prevent burn in if I had a Hitachi.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's an awful lot of difference between short-term screen burn which goes in a few minutes, than screen burn which is permanent. Screen "memory" (short-term) is as much to do with the gas as it is to do with the phosphor.

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I am being careful with my Hitachi 42PD3200.
    Even on low contrast/brightness I get a lot of retention from logo's and static images from Xbox, a lot more than I did with my 32PD3000.
    I have only had it about two months, so hopefully it will get better with time.
    After every prolonged Xbox session I rin the screen wipe for a while which gets rid of any retained images. I am finding I am having to do this a lot but at least the screen has no permanant burn/damage so far.