1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas over fireplaces - problems?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smarty, Oct 24, 2004.

1. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My wife wants to put a fireplace in the lounge but this means it will go right in the spot where our 42" RPTV currently sits. We can't really put a telly anywhere else due to speaker placement, sofas etc. So, I've managed to persuade her that the solution lies in a plasma screen over the fireplace. I've even convinced her to look at fairly low mantels so that the screen isn't too high!
    However, I went to a fireplace shop today and the man in the shop asked if the plasma would be OK over a fireplace. I must admit, I hadn't really thought too much about it - just got carried away by the thought of a new plasma on the wall.
    So, would a plasma be OK over a fireplace or would the heat from the fire cause problems? Has anyone had problems with screens over fires? We probably won't use the fire that much but don't want to spend the money doing it all to find we can't have the fire on.

Thanks

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We looked into this and ended up ripping out our fireplace and instead putting in a plasma.

Plasmas don't like external heat sources - they mean the screen fan has to run more to keep the screen cool. Although not a short-term concern, this will reduce the life of the panel.

An LCD screen may be a better choice, as these aren't as heat-sensitive as plasmas.

3. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    I read a guide today about hanging your plasma on the wall and the author had the same predicement, the TV was going above the fire place. What he did was to place a piece of candle wax on the wall, where the bottom of your TV would be and then turn the fire on full blast for a couple of hours or so.

If it's too hot or melts, move it up and try again. When he did it, the wax was just slightly warm which was acceptable for him as he will never have the fire on full blast anyway.

4. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have mine over the fireplace (open fire, smokeless coal) and have had no problems. Simply put, the heat seems to come out of the fire rather than up (possibly being deflected by mantel) so if you put your hand near the plasma when the fire is lighting, it just doesn't get that hot.

Of course, things may be different for you, but I'd say there's a good sporting chance you'll be okay.

Si

5. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that guys.
    I think the answer may be to get a fireplace with a fairly wide mantel to deflect the heat.
    I'll try and demo a fire at the shop and take a thermometer with me. I'll put it over the fireplace, against the wall and see what reading I get. Bit sad I know but the fire, fireplace & plasma will be about £3,500 (if I get a PWD6). I'll also want to get all the cables buried in the walls so that will cost even more.

Thanks again.

6. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smarty,

I have just gone through exactly the same dilemma's, tested varying heights, heats etc and now have my new screen above the new fireplace with NO heat issues at all.

I went for a wooden fire suuround with the deepest mantel (210mmdeep), mainly to site my Tannoy centre spkr on top, but also to help with deflecting the heat.

The fireplace is a gas living flame 3.1Kw, and even on full blast there are no issues with heating the screen - I don't know if its because the surround is cast iron and this radiats the heat better or not, but it works fine...Go for it, you won't be dissapointed..!

I have atattched a pic below to give you an idea of the height i installed it at for what for us is an acceptable viewing angle at 3.5m away.

Oh, and 2 weeks later watching TV like this feels now completely natural...!

pic of screen above fireplace

edited to say: Only thing I wish I had done now is have a gap between the top of the centre speaker and the screen, so it would appear to "float" on the wall, but hey its done now and I am def NOT remounting that wall bracket :rolleyes:

7. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that JUSTHE1.
    I can't see the pic but I'm glad to hear you've got no problems. Sounds like your set up would be very similar. The fire is about the same in terms of output and I would want a mantel of about the same depth for my centre KEF Q series to sit on.

Now the question is - which plasma. From what I've been reading, a Panasonic PWD6 from av-sales appears to be the best option. Anyone disagree?

8. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, no heat issues at all..

had fun hiding all the cables tho' - 3 off 6m long specialy made up Van damme cables specially made up for DVD 3 RCA to BNC (Component), Sky+ VGA to VGA (via JS RGB to VGA converter) and Svideo for PS2 switched via my Amp..

I went for the PW6, bought it from direct-point a couple of months ago and think the pic quality is pretty damn good (Not as good as my 32" Panny 100Hertz CRT, but I expected that)..

I do find that any "computer enhanced" or animated films look the D's B's (esp via progressive scan) as does the PS2, I guess it because its a digital screen/digital pic, but on the whole very pleased, esp when compared to my mates Hitachi plasma with s-video as his source in - Not impressed..!!

If I knew how to post a pic up properly you'd get a good idea of what the end result is but obvioulsy imagestation would let me link externally...sorry!

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plasma is over a fireplace. (approx 10kw woodburning stove) No problems. The wall gets a bit warm, but I don't believe this is an issue. The plasma cooling is mainly convection (warm air rising behind the screen), and warmer air rises faster, offsetting the slightly higher air temperature. The fire radiates rather than oozing out hot air to rise up the wall. the chimney warms the wall a bit, but not that much.

It's much less of a problem than putting the plasma in a recess which restricts convection behind it.

10. thepoisondwarf

thepoisondwarf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our new Panny 7D is wall mounted over a hole in the wall fire which has no mantle at all.

I was initially apprehensive as to whether or to to go along this route, but the principal raison d'etre behind the plasma was both aesthetic and driven by the need to free a corner from my big old Sony CRT.

It barely gets warm under the screen as the heat is either lost up the chimney or thrown forwards into the room itself.

Hope that this helps, and it eliminates one more reason to avoid buying a plasma anyway.

11. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Most modern fires are designed to push the heat out and into the room, the only concern i would have would be with a coal fire without a mantel. Have mine mouted above an eltric fire with no problems in fact its the floor that get warm.
    Quattro

12. jim1979

jim1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What if the plasma does not use a fan to keep cool. Like on my panasonic 42"PWD6. Will a light heat potentialy damage my screen if there is no fan to be overworked keeping the screen cool?

13. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have to look up from your normal viewing position, you are going to get neck ache.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    MY advice dont have both on at the same, and invest in a new gas fire that pushes heat out about 1.5-2m into room (for solid fuel look at clearview stoves)

15. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    What about Height issues? I've heard that people may get a crick in the neck if plasma is installed too high up.

Question to all Plasma over fireplace owners....
    How high up is the bottom of the viewable picture?
    Do you get a sore neck looking up at it, or do you find it comfortable?

I've posted this type of question to uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup, and people who DO have plasmas over fireplaces say they dont get a sore neck.

Its only people who DONT have them this high say they do! How do they know?

16. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends how far back from the screen you are sitting,

i have had no problems with neck ache, and remeber, your eyes can move in their sockets!!

17. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Good point!
    I guess the angle you look up from the horizontal is what matters.

So. lets say that when seated, my eyes are 80cm from the floor.
    Bottom of plasma will be 120cm and viewed from 300cm (3 meters) away.

Quick trigonometry.... A tilt of 7.5degrees up from horizontal.
    Maybe 9 degrees up from horizontal for the centre of the screen.

Is that going to hurt my neck? Feedback from other wall-mounted plasmas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brendan

18. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thinking about it, Im an astronomer in my spare time and have often spent many cold nights looking close to Zenith without getting a sore neck. Its quite natural for me to be looking up anyway so I may be worrying too much about it.

Brendan

19. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is mounted at about 12 inches above my seated position head height, i've had no problems. i'm only 3m away from the screen, don't like my plasma, it's going back, but am thinking that the 42 is too big for the distance i am away from it, might go 37".
    obviously this is not a problem for you.

20. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mine's over a radiator and is still running strong after 3 weeks ;)

Having a shelf installed next week to deflect the heat though...

21. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our plasma is over the fire place, the bottom of the screen is roughly 1.4m high. We sit around 3.5m away and no complaints so far. No problems with heat either, but like others have said it's because modern fires radiate out rather than up.

Ian