1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas out of stock.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JH4, Jun 22, 2003.

1. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Seems to be a shortage at the moment. Anyone waiting for Hitachi's and know of the next shipment date to the UK ?
    regards.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm about to order a Hitachi and I've been quoted 8 weeks delivery by one retailer and 3 weeks by another.

John

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    try audiovision in sheffield (ask for Philip) 01142485537 they have stock of the 32 inch and I think will have stock of the 42 inch this week (they also offer a two year warranty which is only bettered by John Lewis)

4. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned hitachi Last week follwing me getting nowhere with Empire Direct whom I have my 42pd3000 on order with for the past 6 weeks. I was told they have delivered only nominal quantities to the UK in June (less than 50 in total) but are planning to ramp up deliveries from the beginning of july. He stated they should be shipping about 250 per week from the beginning of July. He didn't think there would be more than a handful per week until then but after the end of July, they would be able to deliver as much as was needed.

He further stated they have over 3000 on back order........

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I ordered one from JL, they had over 160 32 inch models on back order for them alone by the time I cancelled there were over 200.

3000 on back order at 250 per week = 12 weeks :eek:

6. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
  7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Interesting that C&Ms price for the 32 inch model has crept up again from a few weeks ago (was £2299)

8. Nobleman

Nobleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Regarding price, we dropped our price to £2299.99 because Hitachi were going to drop the price of the screen. Due to demand they decided not to, so we had to put the price up slightly to £2378. We still try to be as cheap as possible.

Regards
    Nobleman

----------------------------
    Moderator message:
    I have asked this user to add an appropriate signature saying what company he represents etc.

9. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered my 42PD3000 from Empire Direct 7 weeks ago! Still waiting...

Called them yesterday and they said they would phone Hitachi and get back to me... yeah right. Have e-mailed them too, though I don't expect a response.
    I called Hitachi and they said that they are receiving small shipments each week and they go out on a first come first serve basis.
    It didn't seem like there would be any large deliveries at any point soon to quench demand from Hitachi..:(

Seeing as I ordered my screen during the 10% off period I wouldn't be suprised if ED send mine out last as they'll make less money on it.

Anyone ordered and received one from ED in the last few months?

10. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You won't get a Philips - that's for sure - they are all with the Beeb at Wimbledon !
    l

11. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can say snap.

Empire stated (last monday) that they are shipping them on a first come first served basis. Sort off. They told me they were shipping those who had paid, regardless of when the placed the order, before those who had not. That they had 165 on order and that I am 11 in the queue. Get them to tell you where you are. They know. Have you had your card debitied yet is the big killer question. Oh yes, they have received 2 in June so far from Hitachi but are expecting 30 in the first week of July.

12. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well I have spoken to a couple of retailers mentioned in this thread. They have stock this week. One even mentioned that he had received twice what he expected.

Good news for me as I have reserved my 32" Hitachi :D

Raven

13. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    jl are starting to catch up on back orders apparently

14. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did they have 42 inchers though. They appear much more rare than the seemingly profligate 32 incher.

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've ordered my 42" Hitachi today and was quoted 4 - 6 weeks for delivery.

16. G Funk

G Funk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered my Hitachi 42PD3000 a month ago from Sound & Vision, was told last Monday I am 9th in the queue, 2 weeks ago they said it would be last week, now they tell me it will be this week. I will phone them first thing tomorrow morning and chase it up again.

17. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They told me my card would be debitted when stocks were in - it hasn't been debited yet. They really don't like checking up on orders by phone or e-mail.
    It seems to me that they're low on the dealer queue for stock from Hitachi - not a good sign.

:(

I'm waiting for my screen before I watch a stack of DVDs... I haven't even watched Blade 2 yet!

18. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey!

Just got a call from ED - my 42PD3000 is in!!!

Just got to wait a few more days for the delivery company to do their bit...

:clap:

19. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yipee. Delivery on friday.

I hope it works now.......

20. G Funk

G Funk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Woohoo!!!

Delivery on Friday also :)

To say I can't wait would be an understatement

21. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine won't get delivered til next week - Tues/Thurs - while I'm on holiday for 2 weeks! Gutted!

Just ordered a load of DVDs in the Amazon sale too..

22. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arghh! M1 logistics (empire courier) have 'forgotten' to load my plasma on the effin lorry! Im raging! However, 'it ok sir, we'll deliver i next friday' This is just pants. Another reason never, ever, ever to buy again from empire direct.

I did greet whine and moan, but no-one gives a stuff. I cant work out why for a £70 delivery charge they cant drive back down the M1? just hopeless.

23. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £70 for delivery? - I said I'd pay £50 and they said 'OK'.

Not that you wanted to hear that. ;)

24. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just received my Hitachi 42PD3000 after a wait of approx 6 ½ weeks. I ordered it from Electro Saver but they did state there would be a delay in delivery of approx 3 weeks or so. Mr. Harps Singh at Electro Saver & I kept in weekly contact & the delay was caused by Hitachi delivering only a specific amount of 42-inch screens to the UK instead of bulk delivery.

Throughout the 6 weeks I checked the prices in most of the magazines & I phoned just about every advertiser on the net, all quoted a delivery period of 3-4 weeks but realistically most wanted a deposit & then I would have had to wait a lot longer.

One retailer told me that the Hitachi rep had switched off his phone as he was getting so many phone calls from irate retailers about the delays. I ended up paying approx £3200, which included Hitachi wall mount, delivery & 12 months interest free credit. Which I though was the best deal I could find.

I appreciated Electro Savers honesty & would recommend them.
    :clap:

25. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Macker,

How did the wall mount go? - Just about to do mine.

26. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flash,

3 hours of measuring & 1 hour of fitting! When assembled I attached it to a brick fireplace with a minimum depth of 12cm (not including the plaster finish). I used 6 frame fixings (size, 10*100mm) with 2 thrubolts (size, 8*75mm) for extra security.

I attached them in a “Union Jack” layout with 2 frame fixings centre top & bottom & 2 each side towards the edge of the mount. The 2 thrubolts I attached in the middle section. I screwed the frame fixings/thrubolts in slowly making sure the mount is level. Attaching the 2 metal hooks onto the back of the screen I then got assistance to place the screen on the mounts, just to make sure my eye line was approximately in the middle of the screen.

Removing the screen from the mount I drilled a 7 cm hole in the space in the middle of the mount to run the AV cable, power lead & speaker cables through. I used longer speaker cable, as I wanted detached speakers. It sounds a lot but when dealing with such an expensive item just take your time.

Test that mount before you try the weight of the screen on it.

All the best Macker.

27. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent little report, Macker.

Cheers

28. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt buy again from empire direct after problem purchasing a power amp from them, got so fed up and paid more at audio T, not worth the hassle buying from empire direct just cause i save some money. they promise this and that, plus take your money and earn interest on it while you wait 10-20 weeks.

29. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mounted mine last night - no worries. Ended up about 5mm lower than I really wanted but it looks great. I only had 25mm top and bottom to play with between the window sill and plug sockets!

It does stick out further than I expected when I first thought of buying the screen but still looks cool.

Must say that the viewing angle is almost infinite, awesome!
    Even movies on Sky look great - and that's only using the standard scart lead that came with the Amstrad dodgybox.

I haven't yet organised the 5 billion cables from the 8 AV components but I'm a little concerned that when my component rack goes back in place the screen signal cable won't be quite long enough (3m) to allow me to neatly route it... can't imagine you can buy an extension either.

30. Macker

Macker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flash,
    This is absolutely true I measured mine from the front of the screen to the wall & it was 12cm. If I can stretch the finances I am going to buy a DVD/HD reorder & this should help minimize the amount of scart leads etc.

As strange as it seems on such a technical piece of equipment the screen seems to need to be “bedded in” image wise over a few days. Or maybe you just get use to it!