Plasmas - I think I want one

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DaveH, Jun 18, 2001.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    After much ooing and arring over whether to get a larger screen.

I have discovered that I actually like Plasma screens. I was in a local store at the weekend and saw the Fujitsu plasma 42 inch on display.

I was pleasantly suprised. The blacks were not at all grey and the overall picture had great resolution. True it was a different kind of picture but I found myself enjoying the different kind of picture to that of a CRT.

The only thing stopping me is the price, this was marked up as £5250. And also the lifespan, and finally if I was going to spend this on a plasma I would expect it to be HDTV ready.

Has anyone seen the new Sony one? Not sure of the model but it has a silver frame.

I would get the fujitsu if it was HDTV ready.

What does everyone else think about good quality plasmas?

Cheers.

Dave.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

I have the Panasonic panel and am very pleased with it.... only advice I can give on this subject is that you do tend to get what you pay for... Fujitsu in particular have a very wide range but are mainly aimed at the presentation market. Make sure you audition each model before making a decision.

Yesterday I saw the new Thomson which I didn’t rate very highly.. Although to be honest the monkeys at the dealership didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.

HDTV is a good thing to have on your 'nice to have' list, but I would say that progressive scan is more beneficial at this stage in the game.. (if you use NTSC DVDs and have a Prog Scan DVD player of course)

I am interested however in the performance of the new Daewoo 42" panel... as at around £3500 it looks like a good price to me..., failing that I would recommend the Panasonic for the reasons above.

Hope this helps...
    Kev

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Plasma's are a funny lot....

I visited an installation recently where two identical models of a manufacturers Plasma were in rooms near to each other, connected to the same source. One looked stunning and the other looked....mediocre. I think that perhaps there may be an issue with quality control in some places....

The Panasonic is the nicest I've seen so far. Quiet, slim and pretty decent pics for a plasma. Not seen a new Thomson yet although I actually kind of liked the last model. We've also got a client who bought a JVC unit from another shop. When I installed the cinema system I went over it and got a much better picture than I would have expected. I think it's based on a Fujitsu panel. Worth a look.

Gordon