Plasmas bedding in sticky please

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Can a pro please create a sticky for new plasma owners, David Steve? this is such a common question on here "What do I do to run my set in?" "What settings should I use to bed my plasma in" etc etc.
I know theres plenty of advice on here about it but new members dont know where to find it. I and other members are happy to give advice but I think good professional advice thats easy to find/direct to would be better.

Cheers
Gary.

.....can a mod please del my other post in the tv section.:)

mjbtin

Sticky would be a great idea Gary:smashin:

Regards Martin

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Good idea Scooby mate.:smashin:

Also DNice was wondering why we don't use bedding in slides over here.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member

I think its because alot of the time people dismiss them and think 'stuff it I will just plug it in and get on with it'.

I think for my next big plasma buy I will run slides on loop for 200hrs.

TBH because my LG was cheap I didnt bother. Will do on my next upgrade, more so now I'm into this calibration lark. :D:smashin:

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Do we still really need too?
Well this is the thing mate. Some folks like I use to will say no just stick it in THX mode. Now I'm into calibraition with meters having the cells of the tv aged evenly is a good thing and can only be done via slides.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Baz if/when you get the GT30 you going to run the slides for 200hrs before you calibrate? I think you should give it a try. ;)

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Might do mate.:)

John where do you get them from and how do you use them?
Get them from here.
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/files/BreakIn_Images.zip

Unzip the file and stick them on a USB stick.

Then put the tv into photo mode and contrast to 100.
This should age the cells nicely and evenly. Oh and remember to put them on loop on slow.

Well thats how I used them on the odd time with my PK590..should have used them from the start I think.
Next time I shall to see if it makes a difference. :thumbsup:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I think just sticking it in THX is best for most people, people who want to avoid some IR and have a good pic:). Since getting the slides from master John, I my self may be a convert to the way of the slides.:)

Is it worth doing it still now? guessing not?, its a good way to see faults, like dead pixels and...well....dirt:blush:...how do these screens get so filthy so quick?

So we going to have a sticky then? if Phil and tuthers aren't about to do it(VT30 review! yay!!), maybe one of you guys could do summit? I wouldn't know how to word it properly, don't know as much as you guys.:blush: it would save constantly answering the same questions all the time if done well.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member

Cause it is all a load of b*llocks! :D

I guess it depends what you want to do, sure running slides will get the set ready to calibrate quicker, but for me a TV is for watching, I would rather watch it for a week or two to bed it in that leaving it running showing slides for 4 or 5 days.

I have always just set up my screen for a decent picture when brand new and watched it, then after 2 or 3 weeks calibrated it.
Green tends to drop off in the first 100 hours or so, and the image tends to smooth out quite a bit as you get to 500 odd hours, but I would rather be watching something than having it sat there showing coloured slides and not using it.

Are people worried about screen burn??
To prove it was a non issue to a mate who insisted that as a gamer he had to buy LCD I opened a brand new Panny PHD8 put it on the wall and left the PS3 menu up all night, there was retention but after watching one show on TV it was then gone.
We had done nothing on that set other than game from the moment it was turned on, and then left the PS3 menu up from 2am till around 10am.
He now owns a PF11 by the way. ;)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
So anybody going to do one?:laugh: If I did it it would be as simple as putting the set in THX or cinema and that if you use Dynamic you set will blow up!:D
So dont think I should do it.:laugh: Maybe if nobody who knows their stuff wants to do one, you could John?:D seriously though mate I like the calibration tutorial you started:smashin: You know more about this stuff than me.:)

AndyVt30

i don't think i could go through not using my tv for a week other than using slides.
what happens if your out and the slide gets stuck or you get a stuck pixel from it

the only thing i will be doing is watching full screen blurays and maybee the slides in 3d:laugh::D for a few hours a day

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
i don't think i could go through not using my tv for a week other than using slides.
what happens if your out and the slide gets stuck or you get a stuck pixel from it
:eek: well.....your foooked arnt thee:D good point:)

the only thing i will be doing is watching full screen blurays and maybee the slides in 3d:laugh::D for a few hours a day
Now that could be a good use for 3D :laugh: it'd cut down on drug crime.:smashin:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Theres already some advice on running in in the plasma FAQ, which of course is a sticky.

Maybe it could be updated or the info made more prevalent :smashin:
Too hidden and too little info. New members and people just looking for info wont/don't find it. That thread is sooo old too. So many people asking the question, I think it deserved its own sticky for quick easy referance.:)

Going by the response to this thread it seems I may be wrong:confused: I reply to many people though every week about this, maybe if some of those people posted on here we may get one. For now I will give up as it seems theres little support other than from the usual suspects:):thumbsup: who care enough about such things to post.

mjbtin

Too hidden and too little info. New members and people just looking for info wont/don't find it. That thread is sooo old too. So many people asking the question, I think it deserved its own sticky for quick easy referance.:)

Going by the response to this thread it seems I may be wrong:confused: I reply to many people though every week about this, maybe if some of those people posted on here we may get one. For now I will give up as it seems theres little support other than from the usual suspects:):thumbsup: who care enough about such things to post.
Agree mate expected a bit more feedback on this.

Maybe a Poll might get a better response,just a thought.

Regards Martin

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Agree mate expected a bit more feedback on this.

Maybe a Poll might get a better response,just a thought.

Regards Martin
Cheers Martin :smashin: maybe, didn't think such an idea would need one though, seems to me like something people will find useful:confused: guess most peeps are out in the sun, tis a nice day out:)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
455 views:rolleyes: Now if you are looking at this thread hoping it will tell you how to setup and run-in your plasma pleas leave a message to the effect so we can get the info you require posted in a place you can easily find it. As it is no such info will be easily available.

micks_address

I'm tempted to run the slides on my vt30 but didn't with my vt20 so not really bothered. I think they are useful if you want to get calibration done in a hurry but id rather give the set 6 months and get calibration done then. Cheers mick

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett