1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas and fireplaces do they mix ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by newstuart, Aug 7, 2004.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi again guys,
    I at present have my plasma wall mounted and have been looking at redecorating the room.One feature I would really like to add is a electric fire with full surround under the screen.Ive seen this loads of times in the "get your plasmas out" thread and was wondering what if any problems you have had regarding the heat from the electric fire ? Secondally short of having to get another plug wired in I would need to run the fire from the same power socket as the plasma.In total I would have Plasma,dvd,PS2 and the fire all on one adapter from one plug.Not knowing anything about loads etc can anyone advise if this would also create a problem?

thanks guys

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'll let the install experts give you the full info, but in general I'd say the following:

You'll need a hefty shelf/mantelpiece etc above the fire to disperse the heat from the fire away from the plasma.

Electric fires draw a pretty heavy current load. I wouldn't be too happy having it run from the same socket. Could ask a sparky to perhaps run out a spur from the supply cable to a separate socket with own fuse.

Picture quality may be affected by the heavy current from the fire. A good quality mains filter could be a good idea.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not a problem if done properly.a feature fire and a working fire are different things. We advise not running both at the same time! Get a sparky to put some more sockets in, we will only ever connect plasma's to there own switched socket where possible and other kit off another socket. And fire off another.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my plasma above a coal fire

and was wondering if it will do any damage to the plasma when its going through the winter?

i have attached a picture below, i know the wall behind the plasma stays cool when the fire is in use as i tested that

theres no way the heat from the front could damage it is there? i would rather freeze than damage my plasma lol

http://www.apal82.dsl.pipex.com/Panny Pic 1.jpg

5. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks alot guys. :thumbsup:
    I thought this would be the case with overloading the plug.Guess 1st thing is to get a sparky in to add a few more sockets. As for the heat,the surround is quite a chunky piece so I hope this will help disperse the heat away from the screen

6. atacam

atacam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :eek: I have my plasma running through an extension socket, it is plugged in alongside 4 other pieces of equipment. In all I have 9 pieces of equipment cominig out of 1 double socket. am I in for some trouble?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not really no. They don't draw much current, but can feed interference back into the mains. That's what all those ferrite cores are meant to help with. If you have mains hum problems that's why, if you have no problems why should they start now, so let sleeping dogs lie.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ideally give it a seperate mains feed but we do have to run them off 4 ways now and again! When you are fitting active speakers you use lots and lots of 3 pin outlets! Beta mac if you read the manual you will see an operating range for temp if the air around thw
    e underside of your screen is within 5 deg of max i would be cautious. If it is below that then be gentle with the screen. these things run in saudi etc but the drive for quieter units with no fans has reduced the cooling capacity of the unit.