1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas and eyestrain

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwood, May 17, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Do Plasmas reduce eystrain compaired with CRT screens given the are mostly progressive in nature. The reason I ask is simple, as a dry eye sufferer I just want some more ammo to justify the expense once the PV500 panny comes out :rotfl:

Oh and why the wait have we not suffered enough...... JUNE!!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic have never yet stuck to a release date. I just don't understand the question here. Bigger screen, less eye strain I'd have said. I don't think progressive makes much difference, as long as it's done fast enough that you can't see it happening. What you tell 'er indoors is no business of mine though.

3. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm used to PQ assessment viewing conditions on tubes with smaller screens & comparatively lower brightness levels. I'm now spending longer periods viewing TV on a plasma.

I'ts a bit like stereo when you first had it, the experience is different, there's more visible information you've been missing and I think your eyes are working a bit harder taking it all in - and there's the 'wow' factor so you don't doze off! Sitting closer gives a more intense experience as you'd expect.

Personally I found default settings for brightness and colour too bright and unreal for me. I setup a user setting with reduced brightness,contrast and balanced the colour gain and hue for realistic flesh colour, as well as selecting lower brightness power save modes. For mainly evening viewing everything is now nice, the running power is lower and the screen life should be better. During the day I might revert back to the default settings.

Wide screen gives a more natural relaxed viewing angle. But your eyes have been 'conditioned' by looking at smaller square images for a long time. What you will notice though, is progs produced for wide viewing, particularly with landscape scenes, fit better with the eye than TV progs framed for a compromise of both wide and square TV's. I find too much magnification seeing these shots in wide.

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    MAW I just wondered if certain screens are more tyring on the eyes as I have found my current 28" 50hz crt to be more of a strain than mates 100hzPanny crt hence the bit about progressive. Your point about size is valid.
    Her in doors is actually okay with purchase provided I dont moan about the PQ once I've had it a while.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The flicker on pannys is noticeable to some, though latest incarnations are streets ahead of PW5, which is where it all went wrong in the panel department. True that a 50Hz progressive display flickers the same as a 100Hz interlaced. The sheer size of the thing makes it more noticeable though, so view before purchase, or it might end in tears. Pioneers don't flicker, but don't have such a nice scart picture as Panasonic, but if it's HD top of the list this might not matter for long. You'll be able to watch HD and SD from HDMI after all. Just bear in mind the money you will shell out for HD will be mostly for SD for some time to come.

6. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Just bear in mind the money you will shell out for HD will be mostly for SD for some time to come."

Unless you put 1280X768 still camera JPEGs on your panel. Try it, then go look at Freeview.

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Maw your statement that Pioneers dont flicker is something to consider. However I find the Pioneer lacking in the black level department which is why I'm hopeful the Panny 500 series will be better and as you said SKY via scart is poor . I must admit to not having seen the XDE version which is supposedly better if a certain comic is to be believed.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The XDE is identical in the scart department, whatever the beano says this week. Black levels can be an issue. If only there was a perfect TV plasma. On the other hand, I'd be out of a job....