Plasmas And 1080p?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ali35, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ali35

ali35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi
    I was thinking about buying a pioneer 436xde to replace my sony kv 36fs70/u but have concerns about the resolution not being able to do 1080p,is it worth waiting for next generation model or doesnt it matter that much.

Also will the general picture quality be better than my sony

Thanks for any replies

2. massimo

massimo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If your planning on buying a plasma 50" or smaller dont worry about the screen resolution. You will not be able to tell a difference unless you are sitting on top of the plasma constantly.
    That Pioneer is also one of the best plasma's around. Most people would rather have that than a similar sized LCD with a screen res of 1280:720p.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I think he's referring to it's inability to accept 1080p. There are few plasmas around that can, Fujitsu?? Not sure. As there are no 1080p sources, it's hard to tell! Certainly don't worry about physical lines and video resolution, you will never get them to match, not ever, due to overscan being built into every screen. As to the picture being as good as your CRT, it depends on how well set up the CRT is, how old, and how abused. CRT suffers from lots of problems that plasmas don't, and vice versa. It's different. I would tend to say that plasma TVs are as a bunch, incapable of matching a top CRT overall. They are much bigger of course, so it's hard to do. You can get very close with black level and smoothness with a panel and a scaler, ie a separates system in old Hi Fi terms. It will have some advantages too, like perfect geometry. Don't expect the world from a plasma telly, they are a compromise, and the technology is not yet mature.

4. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, Sony announced yesterday that the PS3 will output 1080p through the HDMI 1.3 interface with 48 bit color. It'll be available in Europe, Japan and North America in November according to Kitagura on the press conference yesterday. Approx street price around 400-500 USD... :cool:

All PS1/PS2 games will be upconverted, and of course BluRay discs all over... :)

Now as that is in a forseeable future the prospect of buying a screen/panel not being able to handle 1080p over HDMI isn't that exciting IMHO. No, I'm not in the business of advocating a 1080 resolution screen but I do wish that my screen is able to process the 1080p signal.

Most screens are able to handle 720p as well as 1080i, but what about 1080p. I do believe the Pio MXE10 is able to over the DVI (HDMI) input. Any other screens/panels up to it?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Fujitsu 50XHA58.

6. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Any 42 inchers?

7. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The new range of Sony LCD's will be 1080p. Don't know about plasma's that will yet...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    For a 42" plasma, I think look again to Fujitsu. However, I'm quite sure all the new models from all makers worth talking about will offer 1080p acceptance. If the new sonys are 1080 native, and are anything at all like the Sharp 45, I'd sooner knaw off my limbs than watch anything but hi def on them, it's ghastly. That brings us to just how much HD content there is out there. Is there enough to warrant an abandonment of any pretext of SD image quality?

9. massimo

massimo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If its not 1080p compatible wont these plasma's just downscale the image to its native resolution?

Or is the matter in a question whether they can literaly accept the signal and use it?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We are talking about simply displaying a picture, stuff the scaling, for the moment. Most current displays won't do it.

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Hi Maw

My P50XHS40US can't cope with 1080p from my Lumagen via HDMI. Gives an error message "signal out of range". It's fine with 1080i.

AVI

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes I know, I've got one in front of me. I refer to the new models, XHA58

13. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

I concur wholeheartedly. It's the ability to simply displaying the stuff that I'm after. IMHO I think the 768-ish resolution is an acceptable compromise for showing SD as well as HD stuff, not too much upscale, nor too much downscale but I do want it to be able to handle stuff coming out in less than a year as I have a soft spot for PS games and am looking forward to PS3... :)

14. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,936
    does that include our phd8 maw..as im very interested in this issue as well.

will it process 1080p..obviously cant display it?:lease:

15. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 37PV500 accepts 1080P as an input signal, tested it some weeks ago via HDMI/DVI...

As for the resolution itself, I saw the new 1080P 50" Panny at Cebit 2006 and it really makes no difference with that display size... not worth to wait for 1080P there.

Though, the new 1080P 50" will substitute the "old" 50" PV500/600...

16. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Are you sure? I thought it would only accept 1080i, what were you using for your 1080p source?

Cheers Rooster-X

17. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my HTPC... I checked 1080i and figured I would try 1080P and it worked just the same... I was really stunned. But nevertheless, it doesn't add any details or something. Still interesting to see that it processes 1080P.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That is interesting indeed. It's likely that other panasonics are the same, but as it's not specifically supported, it may or may not work with all sources. It'll be intersting to try when there are some video sources. I'll try the PHD8 with the lumagen later, post my results. I have a DVI board, wonder if that makes a difference.

19. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry guys, I must have fracked things up when I tested this. I re-checked it and it appears that the Nvidia video drivers jumps back to interlaced when you apply progressive 1080P and press apply.

My bad... sorry. So it seems 1080P doesn't work after all.

20. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well in the Pioneer intrusions book it says there that it accepts 1080p24.

21. ali35

ali35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi
    Thanks for replies,my main concern is that i sit quite close to tv eyesite not great,and my sony 36'' crt with drc bumping up the resolution works well and is much better for viewing close up than standad crt.
    I want to upgrade to hdtv for this reason and looking at the pio 436 xde in stores this seemed like the best option,bit difficult to judge with all that fluresent lighting though. I was wondering if the new x series sony 1080p lcd would be better for close up viewing and i presume that hd dvd and blue ray will be 1080p,but i do watch tv in the dark mostly and i hear lcd isnt good for this.

Thanks

22. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I comfirm that in the pioneer operating instructions book, on page 61. It does say the pioneer will do 1080p !! Well it says, [email protected] !! So what does this mean ? will this screen display it ?

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sure it will at 24FPS, but not at Blu-ray 50 or 60FPS.

24. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    My Panny 42PWD6 will accept 1080P via it's PC input (analog). Takes 24sF (48hz) and 24hz. I'll doublecheck 50hz and 60hz later (from a Crystalio). I was guffing about with various resolutions last week including 1080P.

25. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,936
    we definately need more testing with different types of equipment......maw im eagerly waiting the results of your test with the phd8!:devil:

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Just for you, SW TPM is showing from my Topfield, 576i input to Lumagen HDP Pro, connected with DVI to DVI board in PHD8. 1080p, 60Hz, no signal. 50Hz, no signal, 24fps, no signal. 1080i, all refreshes work, it's much much softer than 1024/768, unbearable after running at native and getting used to it.

27. clem

clem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please say this isn't true, will the PWD8 (and indeed other current generation panys and plasmas including PX60) be useless for the PS3 ? I assume that PS3 will offer other output formats (768?) ?

28. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course not. Even if it doesn't support 1080P as an input you can always choose 720P. I doubt there will be any difference in PQ on a 720P-Display between 720 and 1080P input.