Plasmas above radiators of fireplaces

Dunwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay i'll throw this question out there.

Should plasmas be mounted above radiators or above fireplaces. In a lot of the promotional material you see the happy couple sitting by a roaring fire with a plasma (usually switched off) mounted on the chimney flu.

I'm currently working out the best place to mount my plasma and there are two options. 1 is above a 1M double rad and the other other is on a bare wall.

My gut feal tell me mounting it above the Rad is a bad idea ?

Deepcore

Even if the Display manages to get enough 'fresh' air to not overheat keep in mind the bezel is simply a sheet of extruded plastic and likely to warp if the heat from the fire builds up below it.

Some folk get away with installing a 'mantle' between the heat source and the Display to deflect the heat and take the brunt of the direct radiated heat.

Best regards

Joe

PS And look at where your current TV is - its unlikely to be more than 500mm off the floor; going high 'looks' good in a brochure shot and when your stood up in your room; though personally I find it less that relaxing to watch a movie on.

I would also like to hear/take advice on mounting my 435XDE above the fire. (Iam just about to)
I thought from the pics etc in the catalogues that the most natural and advantageous place for a plasma position was above the fireplace.

Maybe not then?

Take a look in the Get your plasma's out for the lads thread. Plenty of real-life photo of peoples setups with them over fireplaces etc.

You could try the old cardboard cut-out trick. Cut some cardboard to the size of you proposed screen and stick it on the wall were you are thinking of putting the screen.

Sit down it you viewing position and look at it for a while, comfortable or not, if not adjust height etc, and try again.

We have ours above were the fireplace would be (no fireplace, but just in case) and are viewing from about 11 feet or so from screen, viewing angle is fine, no neck aches etc.

Gary

Hello all

We can do better than a cardboard cut out - Pioneer provide a life size fold out brochure covering the XDE TV's.

TV's 'look' good high up on a wall in a photo when the photographer is at eye level to the TV - its a different matter to sit low and look up at your TV; some folk say its fine other hate it!

I'm sure were not alone in having to revisit installs and 'drop' the height of a wall mounted TV.

Best regards

Joe

PS And going by the 'get your plasma out...' thread your front loudspeakers are ideal plant pot holders :)

I put my plasma above a fireplace as it was the only suitable location. I tried the cardboard cutout first for a week to see if we were comfortable with the eyeline and to adjust final height etc. I have a stone mantle over the fire which deflects the heat outwards so am quite lucky I guess. I have my centre speaker mounted on the wall below the plasma and even that does not get hot. We have films and roaring log fires all winter long!
I think It might be a good idea to try a thermometer above the fireplace when the fire is on to see how warm it gets as without some deflection you may find it gets hot up there!

We spent many sleepless nights worrying about wether it was gonna be ok to mount over our fireplace. So as we were having a new fire fitted, we decided to have a new class one flue liner installed (at a cost of £800). We took temps of the wall, while the fire was running full blast (no heat leakage at all). Cut out a template of the screen & tried to get an idea of the right height. Trawled the tinternet for info - http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasmatv-fireplace.htm

Mounted it last Fri, so far so good. The height is great (as I tend to slouch anyway) & fire heats the room & not the screen, so im happy :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics when I get my speakers

I am also going to mount my plasma over the fireplace when I have moved house, so I have read a lot on this topic an it doesn't seem to be a problem...Here is a quote from the fujitsu website.
Fujitsu website said:
Q: Can the Plasmavision set be mounted over a fireplace?

A: Many customers mount their Plasmavision set above the fireplace. As long as the heat travels out into the room (and up the chimney) rather than up over the mantle, the plasma should remain below the internal 104F(40C)shut-off threshold.

iv been looking at the same thing and i saw t thread saying that you should place a thermometer at the area where the plasma will be mounted when the fires been on a while and if temp is below 90 degrees it should be ok dont take this as gods honest
ps dont stick to wall as it may be cooler thair than 3 inches away where the screen is going to when mounted

some of you may have read my thread on plasma gas fires :D

as everyone is aware there are many different types of fires each performing their heating function in a different manner - accordingly each application/installation needs to be looked at on a case by case basis

the figure of 100 degrees seems reasonable and is seemingly used by some manufacturers as a guide point

now these plasma gas fires are quite a different beast from your normal run of the mill fires in that they do not have a flue and use a catylitic convertor
- the manufacturers specifically warn under no circumstances to place electrical items such as plasma screens over said fire - despite the 'doubting thomas' who questioned my and the manufacturers comments etc

i have now had the fire up and running for seven days and can confirm that under no circumstances should a plasma screen be placed over the fire regardless of whether the fire is on/off at the same time as the screen - the fire puts out a hell of a lot of heat directly out of the top of the appliance - the manufactuers quote 300/400 degrees on the grill surface and i guess this is near the truth since i cannot find a thermometer that will cope with the temperatures (would need to get industrial temperature probe)

there is also the water vapour emitted :eek:

in conclusion - no screens over this fire :D other types inc open fires may well be fine

and before you ask this fire cannot be fitted in a 'normal' fireplace recess :(

PS there MAY be a way to overcome these problems which i am looking into at the moment - i cannot say more because there may be commercial applications :D although if you pm me i will try and help as best as possible

I know a chiropractor who says he is getting a lot more customers now people a watching plasma TVs mounted too high on walls!

picture.jpg

Never had a problem, yet.

It makes for wonderful viewing too, I don't find it high at all (I am 6'3" though), and it's lovely sitting infront of the fire and the tele at the same time!

We have a tilting wall bracket, but don't notice it, hardly got it tilted.

Awesome tele. :thumbsup:

Apologies for the poor quality pic, unfortunately my phone isn't up to the same standard as the tele lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom