1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasmas above fireplaces

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I have yet to buy a plasma but maybe moving house and would like to mount it above the fireplace, it is a wood burning fireplace set back but can also run a gas type living flame fire, could you mount one there or does it depend on the model, I am looking at the pioneer 435, what is the operating temps etc on that model?

Has anyone got theirs mounted over the fireplace and is it OK when watching for long periods?

2. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I personally would not mount a plasma above a fireplace that is actually used for several reasons

1) heat is an issue with plasma screens, you may find that the plasma screen may go above a certain temp, in which case it will automaticaly shut down to protect itself from damage ( imagine halfway thorugh your favorite tv program and the screen shuts down ), how much will depend on the design of the fieplace, you could try lighting up the fireplace and checking how warm the wall becames and how much heat radiates upwards in the area where you intend to fit the screen after a couple of hours, with a thermometer on the wall.( the pioneer 435 has temp probe which shuts off the screen if it overheats )

2) if you burn wood in the fireplace, the combustion produces soot, a certain amount of which will end up deposited on the screen, and i have no idea what efect this could have on the screen and how much of a pain it could be to keep clean ( the pioneer 435 has no front glass to protect the screen )

3) the length of cables necesary to conect the screen to media box, may require you to purchase longer items ( the original cables suplied with the pioneer are approx 3 metres long ) providing yo have checked out already that this isnt going to be an issue, fine, but longer cables are not cheap.

hope this helps

Regards

Joe Rubido

3. RzSwede

RzSwede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I havent bought my plasma just yet but I will be ordering a Pio 435 myself and it will be mounted above my fire place. Here's some info:

Fire place is in the corner of my living room and it is built up of bricks and cement. It is not a proper open fire as there is a metal case with glass doors inside the opening in which the fire will burn (although it will still produce quite a bit of heat I can imagine).

Above the fire place I am building a fake wall in the corner (I can post a few pics later if anyone is interested) - and in an attempt to block off some heat I am putting a wood beam across that sticks out a few inches (like a little shelf) over the fire place that I will put heat reflecting foil under to prevent it from burns and redirect heat.

I am not planning to use the fire place itself a lot however, it's just there from when we moved in and we really don't have any other suitable place to put the plasma (or any sort of TV for that matter). If we do use the fire I don't think the plasma will need to be on and I'll just keep the fire down a bit by not stuffing it with too much wood =)

Rz

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    If anyone has plasmas mounted over their fireplaces, can you give me an idea of what heat is produced and if anyone has had problems, and if you know what temperature the pioneer 435 will operate to.

Some pics would be nice also to convince the missus.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My plasma isn't mounted above the fireplace, but my mate has had his Pio mounted there for over a year with no problems. He posted me a picture to show me how interested his cat gets in the TV :)

Attached Files:

6. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had our fireplace opened up and plan to put our plasma above it. Because its a recently installed Victorian marble fireplace the opening was not opened up too much to stop soot/smoke being drawn into the room. Maybe if your worried get you fireplace checked .... we have no heat escaping up the wall due to a thick mable mantel, and were running a large open fire all days sometimes.

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Thanks for your reples, I think it will be a OK to mount it over the fireplace after hearing your advice and looking through the forum. Just have to move house now!

8. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We don't light our fire too often ,but have had no problems when we have.

9. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99

Nice Picture, Nick.

Is that a Canton CD50 speaker under the pio?

I will have a Pioneer mounted over a fireplace in a few weeks :clap: But I was wondering where to put the centre speaker. A Canton CD50 on a mantle-piece does not look too obtrusive ;-) I may put mine there too. Only other option of course would be ABOVE the plasma which I think would look odd.

Brendan

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ballistix has a canton above his NEC see the "get your plasmas out thread"

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've no idea - it's my mate's setup - I'll ask him :)

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Looks very much like it...with CD100 for left/right...

JJ

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    He confrimed it - they are Canton speakers.

14. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've got my 504HDE mounted above working fire place that I burn coal/wood/anything else that takes my fancy in. I lit several fires beforehand and got them really cranked up and checked the heat on the wall.

I found it to be neglible. The surface of the brick was slightly warm but certainly nothing approaching hot.

I then put my plasma up and was too frightened to light a fire! Until one evening, I had a colleague staying and I popped out to get some food. I came back to find that he'd lit a roaring fire. Had a mild panic attack but putting my hand on the screen and the speaker beneath it was clear that it's barely above room temperature.

I suppose every fireplace will be different. Just get a good roaring fire going (good plan with the weather as it is) and use your hand to see how hot it gets!