1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma. Xbox, Screenburn ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jerkyboy, Dec 5, 2003.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying a 6 th series Panasonic Plasma to use purely for DVD's and Xbox, but I am concerned about screenburn.

The thing I dont understand is, most makes of Plasma feature a PC input, but surely if anything will give you screenburn its windows running all day.

I have also seen a Pioneer advert with some kid playing a Playstation 2 on one of there Plasma's.

If they are so prone to screenburn surely you would not promote such features.

Anyway, has anyone had screenburn when using there Xbox for a few hours. Could I play the same game all day and be safe.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny 6, and an xbox (connected using hi-def kit) and have used my xbox for many mammoth online and single player sessions.

I also left my mother alone with my plasma and a copy of wallace and gromit recently to find she played it for over 9 hours solid, with same life icons etc on the screen.

I paniced but had no issues and have stopped worrying about it since.

Don't forget though that there are often lots of cut scenes and menu changes etc on the games, so the length of time any static image is actually resident is drastically reduced and constantly cut short.

Go for it!!!! You will LOVE IT!!!!!

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds Great.

Just out of interest, does the Xbox display any kind of Hi-def pictures when using component cables.

I know the USA machine does, not to sure about the UK models.

Would you say the Panny 6 blows away a normal CRT tv. I already have a 36" Panasonic PL30, but I want the ultimate home cinema experience.

Thanks for any info.

4. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jerky,

you sound like you are having the same concerns and questions as me, but, rest assure it will blow you away.

With the hi-def kit you are just not getting progressive scan, but, in my opinion having tested both the scart and the hi-def kit on my uk model i think the colours are alot better using hi-def....(not with cheap cables supplied though).

The panny definately blows away standard CRT, i jumped from sony trinitron to this and would never turn back!!!!

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    It depends what you are after.
    Plasmas usually have near perfect geometry ( as do any digital panels).

Where they fall down is on contrast range and black level ( and deinterlacing but thats another story).

I've yet to see a plasma that I rate better than a CRT in the above areas.

I have recently bought a 37PW5 (second hand) and to be honest the most impressive thing about it is its sharpness and its slimness!. I don't rate the actual picture better than my 32" PK1 and its defintely not as good in any area of picture quality than my ae100 LCD projector.

It might look a little more on a par with a 100Hz set though.

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can agree with the others here, I have played on my PS2 all day before and had no burn issues so don't really worry about it anymore. I would say that when it is brand new go careful until it is "run in" and also ensure you adjust brightness/contrast becuase normally default settings are way high.

Not totally familiar with X-Boxes so I could be totally wrong here but one word of warning from what x-box owning friends have told me the early UK x-boxes supported hi-def but the later ones used a different (cheaper) graphics card which no longer supported this. So if this is important to you I would do some more research on this point.