1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma, Xbox, Scree Burn ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jerkyboy, Jul 13, 2003.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously considering buying a Panasonic 42" Plasma very soon, but I am very worried about screen burn.

I intend to use the Plasma purely to watch DVD's and play Xbox.

If for example I played a game for a couple of hours, will the static stuff on screen (score, maps etc) be a problem ?.

How long is it safe to play the same game for ?.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From looking at the avsforums it is clear that actual reports of screen burn with plasmas are very rare.

There are many horror stories where people have left a static image on for 24 hours by mistake and witnessed a residual image which went away on its own after a few hours of normal viewing.

As long as your contrast isn't too high playing your xbox shouldn't pose a problem. I think people forget that games these days are anything but static, and the score, maps, health etc are often transparent. The xbox also dims the picture if you pause.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long?, Its a difficuilt one to answer with any complete certainty.

I am quite paranoid about the whole screen burn issue, and have changed my viewing habits since getting into Plasma's, in that I dont watch 4:3 with bars, rather stretch the picture to fill the screen, usually watch the 2:35:1 movies vertically stretched and dont allow any logo's on for a period of time.......but I am paranoid......... generally
    :eek: :eek:
    With Static images, I can only share the following experience where the on screen menu's were left on the display as it was being cliabrated for approx 1Hour or so. Once the excercise was over, I could clearly see the on screen menu imprinted on the screen. Beginning to Panick - I was assured this was 'image lag' and would dissapear after veiwing normally for a while, and it did, within minutes!.

So thats a hour or so with a bright image (the greater the difference between intensity of image and the background - the higher chance of problems) super-imposed on the screen and I had no probs.

Also the display, will have a number of counter measures, ie all white screen, orbitor etc that you can use. Keeping contrast to a reasonable level, perhaps changing every so often from Xbox to 10-15 minutes regualr TV will also protect.

Sorry for not being able to answer your question, but thankfully I have not managed to find the answer out for myself! !!!!!

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have been using my Panasonic Model 4 plasma for over a year now with XBox, Gamecube, PS2 and DVD. I use controlled lighting so never need high contrast to achieve a good picture, which helps a lot. For all gameplaying I have a setting with minimum contrast (-30), but for DVD my picture has been ISF calibrated by Gordon.

I watch 4:3 with bars, 2.35:1 with bars and wouldn't dream of doing otherwise. All that and a year of gameplaying have given me zero screen burn issues.

If you are sensible you will have no problems whatsoever.