1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma...worth getting? Hitachi 42PD7200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Andeh, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We are looking at buying Hitachi 42PD7200 to mount in a sort of entertainment room we are creating but i have heard from some friends(not always the most knowledgable of folk) that they are a total waste of money, unreliable and suffer from a lot of serious problems. I just wanted your views on these sorts of things.

I also have a question about some of the specs of the Hitachi 42PD7200, one of which is digital television. Analoge will be switched off in the Uk in a few years time('08?) and we want to be 100% sure that the 42PD7200 will still work with digital signals, and any possible problems that this may bring up.

Any other advice on it would be appreciated. :)
    thanks.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Any bit of electronic kit will suffer failures. Some may seem more troublesome than others (see references to the big seller of the moment) but it is usually a wholly proportionate figure with the unhappy singing out and the satisfied too busy watching to mess about with forums! There are exceptions but I would not say Hitachi was one of the troublesome brands.

Plasmas are a very personal bit of kit. While we here tend to be unquestioning fans, some would rather die than have one. Be sure any advice you receive is objective. If your mates are plasma haters in general then they will have little good to say, Hitachi or not. Also, heads can be turned by seeing a good one properly set up. What is the betting they are basing their comments on shop demonstrations on the high street.

Finally, as far as I am are the 7200 is analog only. However a Freeview box, Sky or Cable will give you the digital capability you require. The alternative is to try and find a 7500 which has a dual (analog plus digital) tuner. I have yet to see a buyers report on these suggesting they are not yet available.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Whilst I echo everything you said, Cablemonkey, I think you have slightly mis-read what he was asking.

Andeh, the 7200 is pretty much as future proof as you can get. :thumbsup:
    It has HDMI and DVI so is ok with digital and the new HDTV that will be coming next year.
    As Cable monkey says, you will need a sky box or freeview, but chances are you already have one.
    I'd highly reccomend you get one (I have) but just to ensure that I'm not biased, I suggest you do as much research as you can.
    I spent weeks looking through these threads, before laying out my dough ;)
    and suggest you do the same.
    To answer the question about reliability etc, I thought the same, but plasma screens have moved on even from a year ago. They are much better now, with screensavers, life extend modes and pixel shuffle etc.
    And if it's an entertainment room, I guess it won't be used constantly, so you'll get donkey's years out of it.

4. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks, for the help, appriciate it. We dont have a digi box yet, as we dont want to buy one then get a plasma that comes with one built in, but it would certainly be a product we'd buy soon after the plasma.

5. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,330
    I have an hitachi and its a very good screen ,and the 7200 model does only have a analogue tuner ,but it gives an excellent pic with a sperate digi box ,cable or sky ,so no worries there .

One thing i have learn't from geting a plasma is to get the biggest screen size you can .