1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma with VGA only input

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ENG, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ENG

ENG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for some help i have a 42" LG plasma screen which i bought a few years ago for use in the office, it has only VGA inputs and i have been told by LG uk that the tuner card is no longer available. Is there any way i can use this display as a TV for DVD's or freeview. I tried a syncblaster cable from Maplins with vga on one end and scart on the other but that did nothing. Does anyone no how to solve this. many thanks.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    can you change teh input type on the screen to rgb?...also did you use teh external power source for your sync blaster....they say they don't need it as it takes power from the scart but when i tried one you did

3. ENG

ENG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a read of the manual and it is a RGB input (vga/svga/xga) I powered up the syncblaster but still no good.

E

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    are your freeview / dvd set to output rgb?

5. ENG

ENG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EH, am i being stuid here are you saying if i connect up plasma using the RGB connector and use the Syncblaster cable connected in to a using scart freeview box i will get a picture. as long as i change a setting on the freeview box to RGB? do all freeview boxes have an RGB setting?

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    you have to output rgb for teh syncblaster to work i think...fraid i have sky though....but i'm sure freeview box should give you option of rgb or pal

7. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    The syncblaster RGB to VGA cable will not work in this situation because it does not convert the interlaced RGB output from the STB to progressive video for the LG plasma. You will need an RGB to VGA transcoder. There are many cheap TV tuner boxes that will do this, but most only accept composite or s-video aux inputs - the AverMedia TV box is an exception, and will accept component.

8. ENG

ENG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if i get this avermedia box 9 this should do the job? i will give it a shot thanks for your help.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nick has it, almost. It's not the interlaced bit it does not like, but the horizontal refresh frequency, scart runs at 15.625Khz, which is too slow for an LG, or several others we could name. Panasonic and pioneer can do it, well non media box pioneer. The alternative is a line doubler such as the avermedia, though I'd be tempted to look for a used iscan ultra on the classifieds. 2 component 2 s-video and 2 composite inputs. There are now several freeview boxes which output component video, and along with a component video DVD, that will fix the problem nicely.

10. ENG

ENG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies, MAW can you just clarify will the Avermedia BOx 9 do the job? as I am trying to do this the cheapest way. I really don't want to go down the root of spending £100's of pounds.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The avermedia, and the iscan ultra (200 in classifieds, tops) output VGA at 31.25 Khz, a relatively normal VGA signal. Any monitor can sync to that.