Plasma with Sky on for 12 hours +

chalkdust

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just about to buy a Plasma but am worried about screen burn. If I am honest, the kids watch T.V. for hours on end at the weekend and all of the material is from sky and has logo's in the corner ( MTV, Nickelodeon, Trouble and all the other usual suspects). I have to decide on the schedule for the three of them so as you can imagine it will be on for a very long time, continuously. I am looking at the panny pwd6, would this be a majoe problem?

chalkdust said:
I am just about to buy a Plasma but am worried about screen burn. If I am honest, the kids watch T.V. for hours on end at the weekend and all of the material is from sky and has logo's in the corner ( MTV, Nickelodeon, Trouble and all the other usual suspects). I have to decide on the schedule for the three of them so as you can imagine it will be on for a very long time, continuously. I am looking at the panny pwd6, would this be a majoe problem?

I have a daughter who loves disney channel and music vids. I bought a panny 6 and had it for a month before returning it (for another reason I won't bore you with). I also used my ps2 playing pro evo soccer on it for ages at a time. No problems whatsoever, the pannys are quite hardy in my experience.

You'd probably find they wouldn't stay on one channel that long: my daughter changed from disney to music to disney etc and it's really unlikely they'll stay on one channel for that long. That's not to say you couldn't burn one if you really tried, but I don't think you'll have any problems. There are loads here with pannys and I don't think I've seen anyone posting that they've burnt one yet: matter of fact, they don't even seem to report temporary image retention which some others seem to have.

I have to agree, the Panasonics really do seem to be very resistant to screen burn.
Not that they wouldn't "burn in" eventually, as constant use in one area still wears etc.

I always insist friends and family buy Panasonic plasmas, and up to now, not a single one has ANY type of screen burn.
S&V also reported that they left a Panasonic 42" showing a static DVD logo on during a four day period (over the long bank holiday). Thinking the screen must have been ruined, they were relieved find zero image burn or retention!
To make sure, they run the white bar scrubber for a few minutes, then put on normal test films.

I do see image retention on other brands of plasma, but again no permanent damage.
The only screen burn i have seen is on commercial displays, at cinemas/airports etc.

I think everybody agrees, a safe bet is to "run" the screen in for a least 100 hours on low contrast settings, avoiding static images etc.

I have now even stopped pressing "Back-up" on the Sky remote to remove the red dot. But i don't tend to watch a channel for very long anyway!!! :laugh:

reckless said:
I have a daughter who loves disney channel and music vids. I bought a panny 6 and had it for a month before returning it (for another reason I won't bore you with). I also used my ps2 playing pro evo soccer on it for ages at a time. No problems whatsoever, the pannys are quite hardy in my experience.

You'd probably find they wouldn't stay on one channel that long: my daughter changed from disney to music to disney etc and it's really unlikely they'll stay on one channel for that long. That's not to say you couldn't burn one if you really tried, but I don't think you'll have any problems. There are loads here with pannys and I don't think I've seen anyone posting that they've burnt one yet: matter of fact, they don't even seem to report temporary image retention which some others seem to have.

The only Pannies I've seen with a burnt in image is the ones they used to use at a Virgin Travel Store near where I used to work. They used to have the same static image shown on them for hours on end. Instead of replacing them with LCDs, they brought in more Panny plasmas! :suicide:

We have a PW6 on a stand in the newsroom at work, it has sky news on it pretty much 24/7 so I'm gonna pop out and check it for screen burn at some point this week to see how it handles that.

Thanks for the replies gents. Looks like the Panny is pretty resilient when it comes to screen burn with an excellent picture thrown in, can't be all bad.

yep, our PWD6 is on for 12hrs a day easily - often on the same channel for that time with no effort made to hit backup (dispite my best educating efforts!!!). Touch wood though, not a hint of screen burn.
I read somewhere that they did something to reduce the chances of it with the 6 series. if that's true then it sure worked! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom