1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma with no scarts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by amazingally, May 28, 2003.

1. amazingally

amazingally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to get a plasma in the summer and need to get one of the cheapest ones. LG interests me the most, and I know some sites that have very good deals on it, however, until recently I noticed that there are no scart sockets on the ones below the £2500 mark. (I do not know a lot about plasmas, so bear with me), where would I put the DVD player cables and RGB cables, and surely no scart sockets means that there would be a number of things I wouldn't be able to do

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Most plasmas have S-video, compontent, RGB, or composite connections into them. I think Sony do SCART straight into the screen. Some have a tuner / AV box included which has more options for connections. There is then a single connection from the box to the screen and you select which AV source you want to watch using the box.

If your screen does not have enough connections or a box, you could buy a third party AV receiver to do something similar.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A scart swictcher like Quintro or Scart commander and an rGB>VGA box will work well. MOst display screens dont have scarts most home ones have scart in a tuner box and componet connection to the screen. Component or VGA are the best/most common connections as well as composite which isn't very good!

4. amazingally

amazingally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. So this will also mean that I will be able to use cables of RGB for better quality picture on my games consoles?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes every source you own should be using RGB if it capable of it. There are loads of threads on scart switchers. If you are usingone as a plasma input switch get the top of the range skimping on video switching isn't worth it on a 42" Screen!!!

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Different screens have different features and requirements for interfaces. Again, as hornydragon says, don't skimp on interfaces as the difference can be significant.

With the LG, you can't use the RGB to Plasma VGA route as the screen isn't compatible with a line frequency of 15kHz. Therefore, you've got either composite or component video. Component video is the better option and the one you should consider.

Most DVD player and digital set-top boxes (ie Sky digital) will have RGB output. Those with two SCARTs may be able to be cascaded, saving on the need for a switching device. VCRs should be connected directly to the screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

7. amazingally

amazingally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks for all the replies.

symanski, or anyone of the above, could you give me a link to the thigns I would need?

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sure, www.rgbgtosvideo.com

All the best,

John.

9. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With some games consoles you can get progressive output from it. You can get the Hi-Def kit for the US Xbox but it doesn't work on the PAL version. I have found a lead which is suppose to convert from the Xbox directly into progressive output and it works on PAL units. This cable has a VGA socket on the end of it which will work on your LG screen. As a technical note progressive video horizontal line frequency is approx 31.5kHz where interlaced is about 15.5kHz.

I am not sure about the other consoles although I have read a bit about the GameCube. I believe most modern console can produce progressive output if you get the correct lead.

Try starting here
    http://hdgames.net

10. soa

soa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to go this way with an rgbtosvideo sourced ->VGA box.

Now, all I have to do is get the TiVo, Sky box, XBOX in the right order... The audio'll go through a seprate AV amp - and I think symanski's box does audio pass through.

11. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky to Tivo to RGBtoComponent converter to Plasma

You could connect your Xbox through the Progressive VGA cable into the screen. I haven't tried this since I don't have an Xbox. I could find the link if you are interested.

The other option is
    Xbox to Sky to Tivo to RGBtoComponent converter to Plasma

The disadvantage of this is that if the Xbox is on it takes over the SCART and Tivo would record you Xbox and not Sky.

12. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

I have my XBOX plugged into the VCR socket on TiVo. This has full RGB passthrough.

But I don't have a VCR... Although if I did, I could connect that the the VCR socket on Sky. That would not offer the possibility of recording from TiVo though...

Steve

13. soa

soa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like the business.

I've a 160M dsik in the TiVo - and can't remember the last time I used the video. If I needed to - I could plug the video in I suppose.

Having said that I might need to work out how to component it - as major use of this is so SWMBO can watch TiVo through the digisender upsairs - while I halo...

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd love to find a vga connector for xbox. Tried a few seaches, no luck.

15. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you did need to connect a VCR use the composite input direct to the screen as VCR (Standard) will only do composite anyway!!