Plasma warranty info required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Bazel, May 16, 2003.

1. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, guess I was one of the lucky ones who managed to source my Plasma from Empire directs 10% off weekend. I got a Hitachi 42pd3000 for 2691.12 including delivery.

My question is this, Empiredirect wanted 1399.00 for a 5 year warranty:eek: :eek: , so I was wondering if anybody can point me toward a insurance company or similar who would do a 5 year deal for a more reasonable price? I am convinced some company somewhere would have spotted the extortionate price retailers want to charge for extra warrantys and jumped in there with more appealing deals.

Or would I be better off going to somewhere like John Lewis and paying a higher purchase price with the comfort zone of a 5 year warranty.

As its going to take a while for Empire to get hold of another batch of Hitachis I have plenty of time to make a decision, but I feel I would not be happy without some kind of long term warranty.

Finally, as theres no John Lewis in Portsmouth, does anyone know what they are charging for the Hitachi and if they have them in stock? My nearest branch is in Southampton so its not to far to go if necessary.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    None of the warranty sellers want to cover plasmas as of today. That may change soon warrantydirect.co.uk expect to start selling single item warrantys from the end of may and plasmas might be included, so they might be worth a call.

wrt John Lewis, Bristol has the Hitachi on display at £3500. Plasmas seem to be distributed from their central warehouse, so you best bet is to give JL southampton a call.

3. adam1974

adam1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had my Hitachi 42pd3000 delivered from John Lewis Bristol.
    I managed to get them to price match NexNix so all in including free delivery and free 5 year warranty I got it for £3231.25.
    Just waiting for my wall bracket from unbeatable now!!!

4. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey adam, sounds like you got a cracking deal there. :)

I know the warranty is not an issue with everyone, but the more I think about it the more its becoming an issue with me.

My thoughts at the moment lead me to consider strongly going (trying to anyway) your route with John Lewis if I can get them to do a price match as well.

The way I look at it is the 5 year warranty would then be a reasonable (but still expensive) 500.00 ish.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As far as I know no independant insurance compaines are offering stand alone warranties at the moment. Personally this would worry me if I had spent £3000 and only had a 1 years warranty but it is down to each person. I know there are plenty of people on here who are perfectly comfortable with this and good luck to them.

But if you do a few searches on this forum you will find quite a few people saying they had problems with their panel in the first 12 months. I personally am on my third panel in less than 6 months. (All be it my third one was a different panel)

John Lewis seem to offer the best cover with 5 years. But it costs as they only sell screens with Tuner boxes now. Hence almost impossible to get them to price match the really good deals.

Personally I got my screen from RS. It came with 2 years manufacturer on site warranty and I paid another £250 for a further 2 years return to base (It now costs £200 !).

For an extra £250 to gurantee I get 4 years out of my panel I am well happy. I got the panel at just about the best price available at the time and got good warranty cover for only £250.

If you have to pay £1300 to get a decent warranty their 10% deal is not as good value as it might first appear In my opinion.

6. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'be bought an MXE from ED although like you Bazel are waiting for stock to arrive. I'm buying it with my barclaycard which will provide me with an extra years warranty I believe. I'm also changing my home insurance cover so that the plasma is covered as an individual item so if anything was to go wrong with the TV I may then have an accident putting it up on the wall. These things do happen.

Lawrence

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I never thought of that! :devil:

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Barclaycard dont cover Plasma screens on their extended warranties. Well they didnt last time I checked. They dont cover much above the bog standard tv, videos etc. This includes DVD recorders for example. I tried that one already myself :smoke:

As for the home insurance comment. Careful. Thats big time fraud. Plus try getting a descent contents insurance quote in the next 5 years when you have to declare a £3000 accidental damage claim on a Plasma screen. Insurers are not stupid. Far from it. Even if you get away with it. You pay your excess and double your premium over the next few years. So it would end up costing you the extra £400 - £500 that you could have paid to buy it from a decent retailer with proper warranty cover in the first place. Why not just do it right in the first place :rolleyes:

9. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scrub the barclaycard extended warranty then.

I take your point about the home insurance premiums going up but I'd only be claiming on the house insurance IF it goes wrong instead of paying out now for an unrefundable warranty.

Chances are it won't go wrong if plasma reliability is believed.

10. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting point on insurance, I was under the impression that I would have to get my screen named on my policy as an individual item, but on talking to my insurance agent, this is not the case. You only need to list personal posessions individually when they are over a certain amount. Your plasma screen is not classed as a personal possesion it is classed as an item of furniture and as such is part of the contents. :lesson:

11. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had my contents with tsb and was told I needed special insurance for my 503 pioneer which doubled my policy price, but I then went to nationwide and they gave me a all in policy including accidental damage for half the price so shop around.

12. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hmmm, criminal record and possible time inside for the sake of a 250 quid warranty........... Don't bend down for the soap

Attached Files:

13. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but think of how much soap I can buy for £250 !

14. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bazel,

Knight and Lee at Southsea are part of the John Lewis group (actually the TV Dept. is a sub-branch of the JL Southampton store). If you don't want to go to Southampton they might be worth a look although they don't normally have too much on display.

15. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    with regards to plasma tvs and house insurance, im with lloyds tsb and ive been told that the plasma is insured under my contents so no premium increase :) . only items such as jewellery etc classed as personal require extra cover. And then if they are over your max limit. hope this helps.

16. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mrv, thanks for the info on Knight & Lee, I will give them a call tomorrow.

By the way

PLAY UP POMPEY:clap: :clap: :clap: :)

17. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  18. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    doesn't cover plasma

As I said in my first reply Warranty Direct may start cover soon

19. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/warranty.html, got to be worth keeping an eye on.

Have not looked at all the prices of av-sales gear, but they want
    4241.50 for the Hitachi c42pd3000:eek: :eek:

Thank goodness for this forum and sites like pricerunner that stop us getting well and truly ripped off. :smoke: :D

20. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

:hiya:

They changed it in the last few days,before it said

NOTE: Cover for Plasma TV, Video Projectors & LCD Television will be available from april

dvd :)

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am with Zurich. And it was covered under my policy as standard. And this includes accidental damage.

But unlike a couple of other people who have posted I have got a proper warranty with mine and thus wont have to resort to fraud / theft if mine becomes faulty in the next 4 years.

I must say comments like that really Pi** me off. Its because of people like this that we all have to pay OTT on our contents cover and in the future probably wont be able to get Plasmas covered under your standard contents policy.

I would like to see the mods make a comment on posts like that to be honest. Few bad eggs spoiling it for everyone etc.....:mad:

22. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    harris i have no intention of defrauding my insurance company to be honest i was replying to the statement that it does not cost anymore to insure a plasma on house insurance to safeguard genuine accidents or theft. i hope that post was in no way directed at me or ill be ****** off to !!!

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry not meant for you.

There is another post going on with this same sort of topic. And in blind rage I posted without checking the tread.:blush:

Basically some guy bought a plasma from ED and then got annoyed when he found out they would charge him a grand for a five year warranty.

Got it insured under accidental damage on his contents policy and then commented on the thread "If it is faulty I might accidentaly drop it" or something to that effect.

That is what really pi**es me off. But not you.

Sorry for the confusion.:blush:

24. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to settle things down a bit on this thread, I am sure a lot of comments are said with the "tongue firmly in the cheek" and not really advocating fraud. I think thats the way they should be taken anyway, we all make daft comments at times so lets not start a flame war in one of the best forums around.

I take the point about adding a Plasma on to house insurance and that is not a problem, the problem I want to avoid is getting a expensive bit of kit that goes wrong after a year and then needs an expensive repair, or even worse is beyond repair.

Hence my desire to get a 5 year warranty, I know a member of this forum had a Plasma that went wrong and without his warranty he would have had to pay virtually the price of a new Plasma for the repair.

I know a lot of people still do not see this as an issue, and I hope for their sakes they do not get lumbered with expensive repairs once they are past the first year or two of ownership.

25. sean

sean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm if Richer Sounds can do 3 year warrenty for £199 why is Empires £800????? Makes you wonder if :

1, plasma's are unreliable hence £800

or

2, Companies are playing on your fears by saying 'oooooo plasma very unstable gonna have to charge you for that high risk item boy'

I give up, gonna wait now, was ready to buy but just gonna suffer CRt a bit longer and change the DVD player instead.

:rolleyes:

sean

26. Bazel

Bazel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean, I think its quite simple really, some Companys see a chance to make a good earner on fairly new technology and peoples fears, and go for it.

If there were major problems with Plasma you certainly would not get Companys like John Lewis "giving out" 5 year warrantys, let alone selling Plasmas in the first place. If there were serious issues they would soon surface on forums like this one.

As I say I think its just a way of making a good earner by preying on peoples fears, but luckily there are sites like this one where you can have wide ranging discussions with like minded people and find alternatives to some of these rip off charges.:lesson:

Hence my decision to forego the deal I have set up with ED that would have cost me nearly 4000.00 with the 5 year warranty and look elsewhere (almost certainly John Lewis).

Blimey I am starting to sound like a JL employee, forgive me for that, but I am struggling to find a Company that offers the sort of deal that they do.

27. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HarrisUK,

It was indeed said tongue-in-cheek, however, I was already tainted by using the First Direct website to purchase the Plasma from ED whilst not being a FD customer. :devil:

Lawrence