Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma warranties: Worth it for quality screens?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pwood, Apr 7, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I'm sure for most of us a Plasma will be a major purchase and I was wondering what kind of expensive problems may develop with a Plasma screen after a year that would be worth paying £££'s for a warranty. I know JL do free 5year ones but how comprehensive are they given they are free.

2. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I was in John Lewis the other day I asked what the 5 year warrenty actually covered. I was told it was just parts and labour and was told that meant they would replace the screen only if it was faulty. When I asked about dead pixels I was told this would only be classed as a fault if at least 9 pixels in a group were not working, I am not sure what he meant by a group though. In Comet I was told you could buy an extended warrenty (for about £500 for 5 years (extending the manufacturers warrenty by 4 years)) that would cover dead pixels (any number).

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thanks for the heads up on JL warranties this has made me wonder if paying over the odds for a screen from them is really such a great idea when a warranty from AV sales for 4 years is £279. I'm gonna the warranty out more closely.
    Anyone know how a Pixel becomes dead as opposed to not working from the off?
    I'm under the impression that most if not all faults with a screen usually become apparent in the first 6months.

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like any complex bit of kit, things *could* go wrong at any time in it's life - paying for a warranty is really just like any other kind of insurance - you are taking a gamble. Really depends how you feel about insurance, personally I only ever have insurance if
    (a) I am legally obliged to (car insurance)
    or
    (b) It could mess me up financially if I don't have it (house/travel insurance).

Also take into account the fact that in x years time you may well be looking to upgrade anyway, plus a plasmas will probably be cheaper anyway.

But having said that, *some* warranties are very reasonable moneywise so it may be worth doing it as long as it covers what you expect.

5. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought my plasma on my nationwide credit card-1 year extra free warranty with most electrical goods!

6. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spoke to somebody at multiregionmagic.co.uk (went to store) and they said that in the case of dead pixels, they would class a unit faulty if that had about 3 or 4 dead pixels that are in the middle of the screen. But they did also say that the phenomenom (sp?) is actually quite rare and not so much of a problem with plasmas, it's more an issue with LCD screens. Bear in mind, when I say dead pixel, I refer to the fact that any one of the red, green and blue subpixels may be stuck off or on (live pixel)

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thanks for the replies Simon.
    Codlord your attitude to warranties is the same as mine. Plasma is gonna be a "RAID THE SAVINGS" thing for me so I'm just weighing it all up as I'm not sure what can go wrong with these screens. AV sales are selling ones which can be taken out after purchase and even if not from them so If I can get the screen I want then great.
    The one area where warranties are useful is the 3 year manufacturers warranty on my Peugeot...........well used :eek: