Plasma wall mounting

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Hygro, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hygro

Hygro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm getting a 42 Panasonic Plasma and I need it wall mounted (as I need as much space in the front room as possible with a baby on the way!!).

My problem is however that the only solid concrete wall is where the Plasma can be placed centrally in the room is over the fireplace, the mantle of which is 4ft high. This means that the centre of the plasma screen will be about 5 and a half foot high and we'd be sitting about 7 feet away from it ... is this too high to enjoy wathcing the screen?

What is the average wall mounting height for a plasma and does anyone else have theirs mounted on a plasterboard wall (which is our only other option if we placed the Plasma on the oppiste wall to the fireplace)? I don't think it would be safe there though ... and my girlfriend definitley doesn't think it would be (think of the baby!!) :suicide:

2. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I have mine mounted above the fireplace, the centre of the screen is about 6' high. I watch it from 7 - 8' without any problems what so ever (the kids watch it from much closer!). The screen mount I use lets me tilt the screen down slighly which helps with reflections and is a better viewing angle.

As far as mounting to a plaster board wall there are no problems as long as you fix to the stud work. If there is blockwork behind the plaster board you can cut out a section of the board and fix battons to the blockwork to fix the bracket to.

3. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    You should'nt have any problems mounting your screen on a plasterboard wall as long as the mount is screwed to the wooden studs behind the pasterboard! I have just fitted my smaller 32" LCD and there is no problem at all!!!

Dont use plugs though :eek: and always test the fixing before attaching your screen........

Chris:)

Chris

4. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I have my 43" pioneer attached to a plasterboard wall - and managed to miss all the wooden struts!!!! I guess many people here would not recommend it - neither would I, but (touch wood) mine is still up after 8 months. However I do regualry check for any sign of movement and have had a few sleepless nights!!!

I didnt use rawl plugs but used the metal screw-in types which has worked quite well.

On a separate note - my plasma (which is also above my [rarely used] fire place) is 5.5 - 6 ft from the gound at the centre. Viewing distance is about 10-12ft. So it sounds like you may have some choice!

Hope this helps.

5. Hygro

Hygro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads, this helps a lot. I didn't know if the screen was gonna be too high or not, but I guess I'll go with putting it over the fireplace (which is never used btw) with a tilting bracket.

Though it's good to know that other people have had success in putting them on plasterboard so the option was there too :)

6. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693

7. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Sorry EN6JWRS2 got my "quotes" wrong on the last message - it was meant for you!

Cheers

Chris

8. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice - i did use a stud dectector but i was desparate to line up the centre of my plasma with the centre of the fire place. To hit any studs with the bracket I had purchased would have involved moving some 4-5 inches off centre.

If you have any further advice on how to better secure it - it would be greatly apprecaited (if this is not taking the focus off the OP). I shudder with fright everytime the wind blows the doors slamming shut.

I know that the plastboard used in my house is apparently of a slightly thicker grade than "usual" - however I am with you that it is a little dangerous hanging a £2k plasma from 18 plastboard screws which cost approx 35 pence each!!

9. AliG

AliG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of turning this into a construction forum - I would feel confident about hanging a Plasma on plasterboard using the 'heavy duty' expanding metal fixings you can buy from B&Q or Homebase. They usually come in a pack of 10 or so. You drill a hole first, insert the fixing, insert the bolt and tighten to expand the metal grips behing the plasterboard, remove the bolt and then reinsert through the frame. I have hung heavy objects from plasterboard before without any concerns. Good Luck.

AliG

10. didgeman

didgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Remove the plasterboard behind the mount, and replace with 5/8" ply fixed to the studs.

Fix the mount to the ply.

There is no way I would be fixing a 30KG TV to plasterboard.

It just isn't safe - fix it properly and you will sleep soundly at night .. :lease:

11. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Hi EN6JWRS2,

I had a similar problem, but my mounting bracket was only about 300mm square. I therefore used 3 screws verically off set to the left to get mine in correct position. The screws are about 3 inches apart one above each other. This has given a very secure fixed as the barcket is goos quality steel and very sturdy.

I presume you must have a much wider bracket and therefore should be able to get a least one side or top / bottom over a stud? You dont need to get all the screws into a stud as even one or two screws into a stud with the rest plugged would increase the strength of the fixing. I used three M6 x 70mm screws with bolt heads to fix to one stud.

If you cant manage the above, you can cut a square hole in the plaster board between the two vertical studs and above the joining noggin then add axtra wood in the wall so you can make your fixings and put a new piece of plater board over the hole. Dont know how good you are with DIY but its not that difficult. If the holes behind your TV you will probably get away with not having to skim over the hole professionally and you can have a go yourself!

If you dont want to do it yourself I bet you could get a plasterer to do the whole job for you for half a days work - £100 ish up here in Manchester.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Chris

12. en6jwrs2

en6jwrs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks to all for their advice - will revisit this (albeit 8 months later) to better secure this - i guess i kind of "led with my chin" volunteering the details of my "less than text book" efforts.

I hope Hydro (the OP) has obtained all the info he/she needs and trust i havent diverted the focus from their original positing.

Thanks again all.