Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma vs Projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Arshad, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please explain to me what are the differences between projector and plasma?

Which is better picture quality wise?

I guess to use a projector it must be in a dark room, isnt' it?

Which is the current best projector available or will be available?

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    ive seen them all and think both are great .sony hs20 projector is awsome in my opinion great picture quility big screen sizes only thing is when the bulb goes they cost between £200 and £300 they last about 3000hours most of the current projectors.plasma the pioneer 434hde is the best at the mo i think every one who has seen it will agree.good picture good blacks good connections only thing with plasma is screen burn but if your careful and dont leave a static image on for hours on end you should be ok.i think for that cinema felling a projector is the best but plasma is very good to dont forget projector screens are very big compared to a plasma.im in a situation were i cant make my mind up what to go for the pioneer 434hde plasma or the sonyhs20 projector.but i can tell u this both are in the top league and both have great images and desighn.i suppose it all down to how big your room is and how big your wallet is

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Arshad

Ones a big flat telly and ones a smallish box that pumps out lots of light, heat (and if your unlucky noise).

If you watch all your TV and Movies in a darkened room you can start to think in terms of Plasma vs. Projector; if like the majority you need to 'live' around your entertainment system and you have to have a system that works with lots of ambient light a plasma makes much more sense.

If you have the ability to control your lighting then a Plasma PLUS a Projector works well for many.

You can now purchase a 'Consumer' projector at anything from about £1k to about £35K so which one do you want to compare to a Plasma (and of course we know plasma displays have different qualities too).

Best regards

Joe

PS andya - I'd be wary of some of these 'long life' figures the projector manufacturers put out - the lamps will keep on working but some do suffer pretty dramatic picture quality reduction once they get about 2/3rds of the way towards max life expectancy.