1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma VS Projector?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PC_112, Apr 23, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I was about to buy a 42"-43" plasma, but now I consider an LCD/DLP projector also. I never owned neither a plasma nor a projector before.

What I need is to watch DVDs, some documentaries and movies on TV and occasionally play some X-box games.

For my needs, would a 42" plasma (e.g. Panasonic Viera) be better than a projector (e.g. Panansonic PT-AE700)??

I understand you need a darker room for most projectors. Is there any other major disadvantage of projectors? (because they have a clear advantage on size)

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Before u get a projector u need to consider if this:

Projectors are allmost unwatchable during the day unless u have a fully light controled room. U need a decent dvd player with decent connections (same with plasma) Porjectors are not a replacement for a TV, the room needs to be in total darkness to get the best picture. as for picture quality i have a ae700 projector with a panasonic PW6 underneath and the projector is far better for films it hasent got the punch of the plasma but it isnt far off but it has huge wow factor and looks every bit as good as the plasma for dvd's.

3. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really is down to many more factors than you describe.Your asking how long is a piece of string question.
    All things are a comprimise choose which suits YOUR requirements best both will be able to display all of your sources but both have advantages and disadvantages.
    Go to dealers and get demos but i know this might be hard in Cyprus.Search existing threads here to get more of an idea.
    what your asking is like this...

Chalk VS Cheese?

Hello,

I was about to buy a large piece of cheese, but now I consider a piece of Chalk. I never owned neither a Large Cheese nor a piece of chalk before.

What I need is to roll them down a hill and look at them.

For my needs, would a piece of cheese be better than a piece of chalk??

I understand you need a darker room to keep cheese. Is there any other major disadvantage of cheese? (Because they have a clear advantage on taste)

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    you have a marvellous way of puting things :)

5. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice.

Enquirer, the reason I am asking the questions is exactly because I want to know what are the advantages and disadvantages.

By the way, If you want something to roll down the hill I don't see how it's taste can be a clear advantage ;)
    In any case I am sure the 1000s of people at the rolldownhillforums.com that have experience with both chalk and cheese will be able to tell you how each one rolls. (or maybe they will tell you that this is a plasma VS projector kind of question instead?)

6. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,746
    PC_112, I would say that it is not a question of one or the other! You need both :eek:
    You will always need a plasma/TV for normal viewing and a projector for the big events with the lights off.

7. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you can and want all the above things do in totally darkness, even during daytime, then you can consider a projector. If you just want a big replacement for your normal television, which can be seen under all circumstances and is a very nice piece of furniture on the wall, then take a Plasma. :)

Imho, a projector is nice but not in the living room, very unpractical.