Plasma vs LCD

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
ThePimpmaster said:
hahaha, look at how far LCD has evolved guys. Nowadays LCD has better resolution, better brightness then plasma. Responstimes ar as fast as plasma displays.

Plasma is old news if you ask me.

:rolleyes: Well who can disagree with an argument like that?

Timh

Even $ony are to stop manufacturing plasma's with a preferance for LCD.

M

Majid Khan

Hmm.. interesting thread.. I must admit, I didn't realise that the backlights on LCDs have to be replaced - how long do they last normally ? in particular I'm thinking abt the newer LCDs like the Sony V40, what is likely to be the expected lifetime of its backlight?

I'm hoping backlights on LCDs do not have to be replaced periodically like the lamps on a DLP projection television.. now that would be a real turn off.

G

guiliano

EvilMudge, LCD also burns into screen, though PDP gets a higher brightness, you still feel LCD is brighter!

G

guiliano

Majid, LCD backlights could not be replaced unless LCD panel suppliers could help you replace. But if that kind, no profit for their making news panels.

DLP is different, users could replace themselves.

L

Lionheart

Fraudster said:
@ paiger what model is the sharp your talking about?

seems pricey to me
lol Fraudster...you almost got me caught out with you....I had to delete a reply...glad I checked on the date or I could have looked like a complete and total t*t :oops:

L

Lionheart

dca860 said:
2 goods reasons:
1. Max size LCD is 30" at the moment which is nearly £5K. You ccan get a quality 42" plasma for a litle over 1/2 this money (£3K3 for a Panny)
2. go watch one and see - plasma FARRRRR more vivid, contrast, can be seen with high ambient light levels (LCD virtually vanishes) and 30,000 hour life expectancy for the Panny.

If comparitable sizes were available at similar prices, I might be tempted at LCD. Fans no longer exist in modern plasma thus noise not an issue. And the panny is 300W when running - this is approx that of a normal 32" TV - thus heat is not big issue either
Cheers
David (who you may have guessed is well chuffed with his new Panny plasma)
For entertainments sake heres the gist of what I wrote before I realised the dates and deleted................... "dca you really should do more research before posting, LCD TVs such as the Panasonic TX-32LXD500 come to mind ( 32 inch screen btw) has a rrp of £2000 and no doubt can be found cheaper, and there are larger screens than this I believe".......It just shows how careful you have to be before replying ........I was telling someone about a TV that wouldnt exsist for almost 3 years from the post point of view lol... :) ...hope this makes someone smile

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Timh said:
Even $ony are to stop manufacturing plasma's with a preferance for LCD.
...which has nothing to do with the quality of one technology over another, but more to do with potential profit for sony.