1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RockStrongo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hello,

Can anyone sum up the difference for me? I'm thinking in terms of picture quality, price, connectivity etc.

Thanks

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Picture quality - depends on the person. I'm an LCD fan my self.

Price - depends on size. 37" I believe is the magic number. You won't find any plasmas smaller than this, and LCDs bigger than this are more expensive than plasmas of the same size.

Connectivity - Plasma wins nearly every time I think - I've never heard of an LCD that allows you to swap out the cards and change the connectivity.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Picture Quality:
    There are good plasma's and bad plasmas just like there are good LCD's and bad LCD's. For the man in the street, a good LCD will give a very good picture. However, if you are a purest who wants to watch in a darkened room, be critical close up of the quality of the picture and be comparing a good plasma side by side with a good LCD rather than enjoying what you are watching, then a plasma will probably come out on top. There is a different look to LCD's than plasma's, you either like them, or you don't - a plasma may have a warmer more cinematic picture. If you want to watch a film in a dark room, LCD is probably not for you since LCD's cannot go quite as black as a plasma. But LCD's are great if you have reflected ambient light.

Price:
    LCD's start getting expensive above 32". There are very few > 37". There are very few plasma's < 37". Feature for feature, size for size, a plasma will be cheaper than a LCD. So you may find a 42" plasma costing the same price as a 32" or 37" LCD.

Connectivity:
    Technology wise, there is no reason why connectivity between Plasma and LCD are likely to be any different. However, LCD's are generally higher resolution than a plasma so proportionally, LCD's are likely to have better connectivity for high definition sources than a plasma. Of course, every manufacturer will have their own idea on what connectivity they will provide and at what price point.

-Ian

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's only the Panny PW6 plasma. Most tvs nowadays (Plasma and LCD) have lots of connectivity. My Sharp GA3 has DVI, Component, S-Video, RGB Scart and Video. One of the Scarts has an 'Audio/Video Out' option. The latest Sharps have HDMI.

Picture Quality - Due to High Def coming in the Plasmas are getting 1024x720 resolutions but the older plasmas would only do up to 600x400 or something like that (Apart from Alis panels which do 1024x1024 which on a widescreen set sounds strange). 720p Hi Def is 1280x720 so Plasmas with 1024x720 will have the sides chopped off or will process the picture to panoramic. Most LCDs now have 1366x768 which means Hi Def gets processed from 1280x720, but I don't think this is a problem. As Lyris says, 37" and below and you're looking at an LCD, above 37" and it'll be a Plasma.

Richie.

5. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    That's extremely helpful - many thanks to you all

6. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    More Like 852x480 and most do 480p at least.

Gary A

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers for that, I knew it was some ridiculously low resolution ! :)