1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Vs LCD - What cuts the mustard!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by realslimcookie, Oct 6, 2004.

1. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am considering a flat tv option for mainly home cinema and small amount of SKY TV watching (mtv, sports). What is the best for this purpose, Plasma or LCD. I have visited many sites that compare the two and there is never an outright winner, just pro's and con's of both. Any ideas from experience? :spam:

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Depends what size screen you want, plasma generally are better value for big screen but if you only want a small screen LCD maybe better.

3. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking of 30 " - 37 " max.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Open choice,then, at that size. Been done to death before, with plenty of preferences but no real guidance other than whichever you prefer the "look" of.

5. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got to agree i look at these things all day long and all the guys i work with still have mixed views, some like lcd some like plasma me well i like plasma the lcds are ok but i know where my money would go.

so as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, your choice

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Is 30-37 inches really enough though? I would say 42 inches is the minimum size for Home Cinema. Personally i would go for plasma as it has a more 'filmic' picture than LCDs, though the new LCD designs and meant to be better than ever. Go and start visiting dealers to see which is best.

7. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally wanted LCD but ended up buying a 32" plasma as I found (purely personal) that on LCD I could see a shimmer going on in the background and also on panning movement areas would appear to dissolve and then reform, sometimes around moving lips. This disturbed me and was THE prime reason I went plasma, but many people it is not an issue. I think it is to do with refresh rates?? Having said that, just to confuse you :) some of the new LCDs look like they might be correcting tht problem. Also when I watched a DVD played using good cables and connections I found LCD stunning. I however dont watch that many DVDs mainly normal telly, hence I went for the plasma. You might find sport a bit more of a problem with LCD if, like me, are bothered by the shimmer.

I read the reviews and tended to avoid the turkeys they gave very poor ratings to, but again they are only opinion. Also I tended to buy the same magazine so that I stood a better chance of it being more consistent when comparing models as it is the same team of reviewers.

Best of luck, it's a lot of money for a TV so do your research, take your time, let your eyes be the judge, and then be happy with your choice even knowing that technology will improve and prices will fall right after you have bought :)

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    realslimcookie

Your question doesn't have an answer!

Not all Plasma Displays are created equal just as not all LCD Displays are created equal so talking 'generically' about the technology is only part of the answer - you have to start talking manufacturer and models numbers.

Even from one manufacturer you can find big differences between Displays and TV's - whatever type of technology you go for.

What's your viewing distance and how 'close' to the action do you like to be - possibly as its a 'Home Cinema' application and your not much worried about 'off air' broadcasts a Projector may be more applicable for you.

Best regards

Joe

9. realslimcookie

realslimcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the advice received so far on this thread.

The lcd/plasma would be placed in my lounge which is a fairly smallish room, b ut large enough for a comfortable viewing distance. I also will not be living here in a couple of years as i hope to move to a larger house with a few more rooms so maybe i can make one a dedicated movie only room and stick the lcd/plasma in there. Note. Not as flash as some of the cinema rooms i have seen on this website though! I was thinking either Phillips or Sony for the screen. A projector is a good idea especially if i was to have a dedicated cinema room as i could just use a sheet to project the image on to, and i know from seeing a projector in action that it is very good.