1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs LCD vs DLP projector for PC & TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 5, 2003.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently trying to construct an ultimate home theatre system that centres around my PC. I’m going to get the ATI Radeon 9700 that has a DVI out and a TV tuner, so I want to know what the best screen is for high resolution PC-gaming AND watching TV / DVDs on my PC. I have read many conflicting things about what the best vision appliance (Plasma vs LCD vs DLP projector) is for a combination of PC and TV use.

My PC card and the latest games go up to UXGA resolution (1600 x 1200), but there doesn’t seem to be any Plasma, LCD or projector that has this capability as the native resolution – all of them use scaling, which I’ve heard is generally not very good. The best plasma resolution seems to be on the new Sharp, which is 1024 x 1024. The projectors from in-focus and NEC don’t do more than 1024 x 768, which is not really close, and LCDs are again maxed at 1024 x 1024. I’m not really bothered about the other differences between plasma, lcd and projector.

Im looking to spend up to $5000, and want to get at least a 42” picture that can handle TV (not HDTV, but DVD driven), games and PC up to 1600 x 1200 resolution, AND also have a DVI connection for my PC. Any thoughts on what the best option is?

Thanks

2. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    calvin

you will get conflicting advice because the things that you want to do have conflicting requirements!

I agonised over all of this myself, and ended up with an HS10. I went for this as plasmas dont really go big enough for sensible money, which is vital if you want a truly immersive experience.

you are going to struggle though if you want such high resolutions. why not get powerstrip on your machine, and try using your existing display at different native resolutions for the devices that you might audition, that way you can get a feel for how they would look. of course to do a proper job you need to try your pc on some of those devices, there are posts on the forum from people who have had good experiences with various retailers who are happy to demo for serious punters..

good luck