1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs LCD vs DLP projector for PC & TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 5, 2003.

1. calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am currently trying to construct an ultimate home theatre system that centres around my PC. I’m going to get the ATI Radeon 9700 that has a DVI out and a TV tuner, so I want to know what the best screen is for high resolution PC-gaming AND watching TV / DVDs on my PC. I have read many conflicting things about what the best vision appliance (Plasma vs LCD vs DLP projector) is for a combination of PC and TV use.

My PC card and the latest games go up to UXGA resolution (1600 x 1200), but there doesn’t seem to be any Plasma, LCD or projector that has this capability as the native resolution – all of them use scaling, which I’ve heard is generally not very good. The best plasma resolution seems to be on the new Sharp, which is 1024 x 1024. The projectors from in-focus and NEC don’t do more than 1024 x 768, which is not really close, and LCDs are again maxed at 1024 x 1024. I’m not really bothered about the other differences between plasma, lcd and projector.

Im looking to spend up to $5000, and want to get at least a 42” picture that can handle TV (not HDTV, but DVD driven), games and PC up to 1600 x 1200 resolution, AND also have a DVI connection for my PC. Any thoughts on what the best option is?