1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Vs LCD for pc gaming

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by suicidal_maniac, Dec 13, 2004.

1. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok which is best.....
    Well im goint to find out for you...
    Now im going to put my new pw7 against my 1 month old 32"tosh LCD and see who wins...
    To be honest if the panasonic even comes close to the LCD I`ll be amazed as its fantastic,although the sheer size of the 42" plasma may swing it ...
    who knows?...
    I can almost feel the tension building amounst you as you wait for the results...
    but dont worry as soon as the results are know(with pics) I will let you know...
    The test will be run using scientific conditions and watched over by my dog Rogue to ensure no cheating...
    The pc will be a shuttle sporting 3.2 athlon, 1meg corsair ram and a 6800 gfx card...
    Test games will be...hmmm...hmmm.. toca race driver 2 ....hmmm and ....pacific assualt..maybe some doom3 thrown in for good measure.
    These test may also be carriedout whilst under the influence of alchohol and/or exotic tobbaco...just to make it more interesting.
    So stay tuned readers :clown:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well the higher resolution of the LCD should mean that it certainly looks more detailed but it might show signs of image lag or blurring.

The plasma should look smoother but with it's lower resolution not as detailed...though from a distance this might not be as much of an issue as you'd think.

Big advantage of the LCD has to be no screen burn...even though the panny is as tough as old boots in this area anyway.

From my own experience I would say that apart from size the LCD would win as long as it shows little or no lag/blur.

But you can't beat Doom 3 at nearly 7 foot wide on a PJ...it's as scary as hell...especially as the rest of the room is in total darkness.

Cheers, Lee

3. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    looking forward to you findings,i wander which one will give you motion sickness the quikest :smoke:

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ah, I thought it was only me that had that problem :)

5. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on, man... the tension is unbearable...!

6. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night did my first testing with Grand Touring 3 on my 42PF9966 and I couldn't believe the feeling: with digital natural motion on the game moved with such grace that it's difficult to believe. If you are into gaming I seriously suggest a plasma with some sort of motion compensation / framerate multiplying technology incorporated.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Frame rate multiplying is totally unnecessary from a PC source. just needless and unwanted interference with the picture. A good case for DVI at the highest frequency it will take.
    Loonatic, 'But you can't beat Doom 3 at nearly 7 foot wide on a PJ...' I respectfully suggest that 8ft is better...

8. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess the frame rate issue is also an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing. You can choose the "regular" version with no problems or the "accelrated" version with possibly some problems (pixel nets or motion blur/dither). The stange thing is tha as far as games are concerned those frame rate multiplying technologies seem to be working better when compared to DVD/TV content.

Edit: Hups! PC as source is a bit differnet from regular consoles.

9. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I know the results have been along time coming but this had to be done over along period of time, and rechecked several more times just to be sure.....But...there can be no doubt for the main thrust of this test ie PC gaming the 32" Tosh blows the 42" Panny into the weeds..
    The LCD Tosh set at 1024*768 on the standard PC interface showed no motion blur what so ever on doom3 or toca race driver 2...Indeed for race driver using the LCD with arcam surround sound was the best driving game Ive ever played.
    The PW7 just couldnt get near the sharpness of the tosh and even the extra 10"(steady girls) couldnt make up the difference.
    However for move watching the tables are totally reversed with the plasma laughing in the LCD`s face.
    So there you have it for gaming LCD for movies plasma...or just kick the hellout of your visa and get both!