1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs LCD - for me Plasma won

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Radiohead, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Well, after a couple of days trawling around demoing 4 LCD's that I was very keen on I didn't find one that I'd be happy with. These were all running Sky via RGB and DVD via component as I will be at home, and the downscaling just didn't vut it to my eyes. On the basis that a) I won't be shelling out for HD for a couple of years whilst it all settles down and more channels launch and b) better HD panels will be launched by then I elected to look at what was best with SD offerings. I really wanted to like LCD's for use today, but they just didn't do it for me.

So, my choice is a Panasonic TH37PE50B 37" plasma for just over £1k (and including a DVD recorder). I gave this a lengthy demo today with the same inputs (Sky and DVD) and to my eyes, the plasma had the LCD's beat. Obviously not HD ready, but for th reasons gven above I'll get a couple of years out of this with SD fare and then move to HD with the benefit of 2 more years advances on LCD/plasma/SED panels.

Should be ordering it tomorrow if my wife hasn't killed me for spending all of my time this weekend either demoing screens or reading these forums.

2. Glenn2

Glenn2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel exactly the same as you after checking out many LCDs.

I don't want anything bigger than 32" and I'm sensitive to 50Hz flicker, so my choice is the Hitachi 32PD5200 (which you can still just about find for a grand) or a 100Hz 28" CRT. I will be watching SD Freeview and the odd DVD so really don't care about HD at all. Just want good SD pictures.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how a good (if not perfect) plasma like this would compare to a 100Hz 28" CRT purely for watching freeview via RGB scart? (Pioneer DBR-TF100 box, BTW.)

Would I really notice the not-quite-black blacks of a plaz unless I'm in a totally dark room? I usually have two 60W tables lamps on the go at diagonally-opposite corners of the room.

3. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    A very good choice. I had a 32PD5200 before I upgraded for the 42PD7200.
    Now the 32PD5200 has been relegated to the main bedroom :)
    Excellent ALiS panel with superb Picture Quality. I'm not pretty sure but
    perhaps its DVI port can accept HD sources too :cool:

Don't be surprised if someone here will be wondering about your sensitivity to
    flicker, and may argue that ALiS panels flicker. These are all lies. ALiS panels
    don't flicker AT ALL but give exceptional picture quality and coming close
    to it you won't be tempted to think that you are front of a Cadbury Mega chocolate bar instead of a TV Panel!! :devil:

Regarding blacks, you can obtain a good level of black by tweaking a bit with
    its quite detailed settings :D

Cheerz and good luck :hiya:

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You didn't check out the Sharp P Series LCDs then, in particular the LC37P50E.

5. Glenn2

Glenn2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Camorra - I've trawled the forum and a few people have voiced concerns about the quality of pictures via RGB scart though.
    I will be connecting my freeview box to the scart (my DVD has component).
    What did you think of freeview or Sky pics via RGB scart?

My main concern (apart from blacks) is that sets like this might look awful with low-bit channels whereas CRTs tend to hide most of the problems.
    The Panny 100Hz IDTV I saw in JL & Selfridges was great compared to all of the LCD IDTVs on show, which were all total pants.

Interestingly JL have a 32PD5300 (for £1800!) but they only have a snowy RF feed. Even so, the pic looked 100 times more natural than any of the LCDs. Very CRT-like though they had some kind of auto-contrast mode engaged (probably factory default).

RS have the 32PD5300 for £1100 and on-line the 32PD5200 is about £50 cheaper.

Also, I keep hearing about people on forums saying that they didn't like their TVs so they changed them for something else. Can you literally just order something from the net, decide you hate it, and get a refund or exchange?

Cheers!

6. Glenn2

Glenn2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and ALiS flicker. What rate do they actually refresh at?
    I realise they are interlaced, but I'm talking about actual vertical scan, like a normal CRT is showing 25 frames but 50 interlaced fields, how many fields is the ALiS doing as that is what makes the whole image flicker.

Ta!

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I certainly did, both the 37" and the 32" extensively yesterday and, whilst better than the full-on HD LCD's for SD viewing, I still didn't find it as good as I hoped or expected. For me the PE50 won the day on this occasion, both in terms of PQ and cost. I'm coming to the conclusion that my eyes just prefer the look of a plasma rather than LCD.

8. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I recon your eyes are working perfectly :D

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    :smashin:

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You will love the TH37PE50, I bought this panel after looking to buy an new t.v. for a staggering 15 months, almost exclusively at LCD. I just wish I had bought it earlier, great set, and what you may not know is that it displays a Hi Def picture that to me and many others is just about indistinguishable from a true HD Ready Plasma Panel such as the Panny PV500. In fact my local Panasonic store have both these panels running a Hi Def feed to demonstrate this very point, obviously the PE50 takes it source via analogue component, though you wouldn't know it. Good luck and happy viewing.

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Thanks Faust - I'm praying the retailer I want to use has it in stock!

12. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    good choice mate , i have its big brother and I'm a happy chappy in happy land :D it looks like Roy is finally paying you for all those nights of Passion :eek: .
    any questions or setup advice for your screen just drop me a pm mate and i will help all i can .H

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    'Lo H - hope all is well mate. Thanks for the offer

:smashin:

14. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ALiS are NOT interlaced!! Interlaced is referred to sources or displays whose image is scanned at a rate!!! In ALiS half of the lines are displayed at a 1/60 second (60Hz) an the other half in the other 1/60 second (60Hz) to make 1 second. In the A2 ALiS panels the technology was improved and ALiS works
    on a greater 1/120th sec (120Hz) for fast moving pictures :D

Finally, in ALiS the picture is NOT scanned as some people here might give the
    impression to misguide others, the picture is displayed half of it at the same
    time and the other half at another same period of time!! :smashin:

Cheerz :hiya:

15. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I would recommend the Hitachi. I have had a 32PD3000 for over 2½ years now and it's still superb. The picture quality that it can output is far better than available with Freeview and a good quality dvd player gives brilliant results. It doesn't flicker at all, I am sensitive to this too and 50Hz crt tv's are very obvious.

I too haven't seen a LCD playing SD broadcast material (Sky or Freeview) that I liked.

16. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hopefully not straying off topic..

I too have a Hitachi 32PD5200 and on the whole I love it.

But, and I've had it now for about 7 weeks, I'm now seeing a sort of rainbow effect on peoples faces when a camera pans across from one person to another, the effect only goes when the camera settles on them. It seems to do it on DVDs too. The thing is, the screen definitely didn't do this before. Any thoughts?

Also, what settings do other owners use for freeview? I find that live progs can look very harsh and the presenters a little washed out and flat.

Thanks.