1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma vs DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jgr11, Sep 2, 2005.

1. jgr11

jgr11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At same price in plasma better than DLP??? I look a pioneer 43'' plasma HD ready to 3999€ and DLP Sagem 56'' I'ts a similar PVP but don't look DLP in good conditions, i don't know what of these are better....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Ask this question in a DLP forum, and you will tend to get answers from people who have already chosen DLP over (say) Plasma.

All platforms have shortcomings. To say one is better than another is simply expressing a personal opinion.

DLP RP TVs all have the "Rainbow" issue and they all have their own something or another - frostiness, motion blurring, 60hz juddering or whatever.

Plasmas have a tendency to screen burn; have possibly less contrast than DLP.

Etc.

If you are really intending to spend this amount of cash, by all means get pointers here as to what to look for, but then spend as much tiome as you can finding out for yourself, which is best for you.

3. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasmas' are only good at the TOP QUALITY end of the market, the cheaper ones are very poor.........you have to buy a top brand, which would be Pioneer, Panasonic, Phillips........all of these are expensive!

Plasmas are brighter, to me they look too bright and garish and the P.Q seems to suffer; as screen size nears about 50''............50'' is also very expensive.

DLP is much better value for money, especially over 50'' screen size.

if i was going for a plasma, then nothing less than the latest generation Panasonic viera 50'', but no; i dont like the over bright picture..it's too Walt Disney :thumbsdow...........but the P.Q is excellent and i do have to say that, but only from.......THE LATEST AND GREATEST PANASONIC VIERA and there's loads of them too, just like the Sammy; it's easy to buy the old version :mad: !

the version you'll be after at 50'' will cost about 4200 quid, now that's way too much money, it's twice the price of the SP 50. :eek:

but is it as good as the SP50?.....YES DEFINITELY, but it's a waste of money

how can a tv of only 50'' cost that much money..........it's a rip off...a total con! :thumbsdow..you're paying for the hype!

also their stated contrast ratio is incorrect...no way is it 4000 to 1, more like 2000 to 1...that's another rip off :rotfl: :rotfl:

4. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but the big difference is................you simply cant enjoy a good film on a small screen and 43'' is too small nowadays........i'm aiming for a 56'' Sagram or a Sammy...

you just cant feel the atmosphere, take in all the detail on a small screen; this is the huge advantage of DLP, it's cheap for such a large screen size

5. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at PLasmas. I would only buy a Pioneer for the quality of the picture.

However I am looking at DLP now cause all the reviews I read said it's as good as top end plasma, but you get larger screen for the same price or cheaper. :clap:

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EXACTLY, there's not a lot more to say :smashin: